What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When Losing Hurts

Would you rather your team make a GF and lose it, or get knocked out in a semi-final?

• A Grand Final loss

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Get knocked out in a semi final

Votes: 39 42.4%

• Total voters
I was happy enough that Penrith made their first GF in 1990. The loss did get me down for a little while. (Though it made a lot of us Panther fans unhappy when it was reported later that the Raiders won with a team that was way over the salary cap).

I would rather lose in a GF. As most people have said, the fact that you make the GF is an honour in itself.

Eelectrica

Referee
Much rather make the grand final. At least you get to experience the build up and know the all your hopes and dreams are in reach.

Of course it sucks big time when those hopes and dreams are shattered like a mirror thats been chuckedd from the top floor of a hundred story building, but still...

RABK

Referee
simon says said:
Yeah...making to the GF is a lot of fun......losing hurts,but it would still be a great year supporting your club to have gone so well.

My thoughts exactly.

Though during Newies 13 game losing streak in early 05, well i just can't find the words to explain the gutted feelings i had in the carpark after every match. Absolute despair is i guess how i'll describe it and it just built week after week. Now i look back and to be quite honest, i could go through that (a horror streak) so much easier a second time around.

The Roosters prelim loss in 2000 was absolutely heart breaking, a grand final must be 5 times worse.

I'm hoping for a Knights vs Broncos Grand Final thsi year - 20 year clubs, good rivalry and one will have to lose their first grand final.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Losing a GF, although it hurts more if your team has given it all the whole year, minor premiers, unstoppable, then lose the big one, just one game and its all thrown away. It hurts.

If I was to lose a GF, I much rather be a team that was say 8th and won all sudden death matches, beat some of the top sides ahead, no expects you to make the GF, but you lose to a top side who's dominated all year, at least you put in a great effort to make it and will gain confidence for the following year.

mongoose

Coach
The Mighty Panther said:
I was happy enough that Penrith made their first GF in 1990. The loss did get me down for a little while. (Though it made a lot of us Panther fans unhappy when it was reported later that the Raiders won with a team that was way over the salary cap).

I would rather lose in a GF. As most people have said, the fact that you make the GF is an honour in itself.

not our fault we developed so many great players. It was the same team we had in 89.

perverse

Referee
Burwood said:
I'd much rather lose in the Grand Final. There is nothing worse than getting knocked out one week earlier and seeing the team that beat you put in a poor performance or never looking like winning in the Grand Final. The 2000 season is a perfect example of this feeling for Newcastle supporters.
glad someone brought this up.

never having had a GF defeat i suppose i'm not really qualified to give an answer... but i must say 2000 was an incredibly low feeling. Fittler's brilliance in the semi snatched a win for the roosters (memories of that intercept haunt me still) and then the proceeding grand final was dead set one of the most boring games i've ever attended. we had bought our GF tickets early (so certain we were of getting there) and had to go and see brisbane and the roosters slap against each other like floppy c**ks. i still wore my knights jersey to the game.. copped plenty of it from roosters supporters... but i'll never forget that year as the year when fittler stole our premiership opportunity.

my vote goes for bowing out in the semis, because you always ask what could have been.. whereas in the GF at least your boys get that 1 chance to prove.

i can understand why PARRA_FAN would mention the GF though... 01 must have been incredibly painful.. but you guys werent even beaten in 1 whole game... just one perfect period of 40 minutes. glad to see that you still enjoyed being there :D

Hallatia

Referee
both are painful, but I would cry after a grandfinal loss
but I would take a grandfinal appearance over not having one

Smartman

Juniors
Brycey said:
Exactly. 2000 GF doesn't bother me, I was just happy my team made it.

2003 is horrible, I can never watch a minute of that game and whenever they show footage of that Scott Sattler tackle I always turn away.:crazy:

Which hurt more for you, 2003 or 2004? :cool:

perverse

Referee
Brycey said:
Exactly. 2000 GF doesn't bother me, I was just happy my team made it.

2003 is horrible, I can never watch a minute of that game and whenever they show footage of that Scott Sattler tackle I always turn away.:crazy:
bloody good tackle though... rofl.

Brycey

Juniors
Smartman said:
Which hurt more for you, 2003 or 2004? :cool:

I think it was half expected by myself that we would lose the GF. Watching Willie Mason gather in thr troops after the Prelim victory, you could just tell there was something in the air at Canterbury. I could watch 2004 again, not that I am going to anytime soon...I could never watch 03 again.

Smartman

Juniors
Brycey said:

I think it was half expected by myself that we would lose the GF. Watching Willie Mason gather in thr troops after the Prelim victory, you could just tell there was something in the air at Canterbury. I could watch 2004 again, not that I am going to anytime soon...I could never watch 03 again.

I just thought considering it was Freddies last match it would of hurt.

Brycey

Juniors
No, watching Freddy with a sore shoulder basically doing SFA in a GF hurts more :lol:

Knightmare

Coach
Burwood said:
I'd much rather lose in the Grand Final. There is nothing worse than getting knocked out one week earlier and seeing the team that beat you put in a poor performance or never looking like winning in the Grand Final. The 2000 season is a perfect example of this feeling for Newcastle supporters.

I disagree. I am proud of Newcastle's perfect Grand Final record, I'm sure Broncos fans feel the same. Sure falling one game short is a kick in the guts, getting the spoon induces narcolepsy and a dependance on alcohol, but I'd still rather go through those two than ever facing defeat on Grand Final day- having to face the fact that, when it really counted most, your couldn't finish the job.

RABK

Referee
Brycey said:
No, watching Freddy with a sore shoulder basically doing SFA in a GF hurts more :lol:

He did save one of his worst games in a while for his final game but didn't he set up Walkers try with a banana chip? And wasn't he also the player that threw the pass to put Crocker on his way to a certain try with seconds to go that was only prevented by a desperate Andrew Ryan?

Knightmare

Coach
The way I see it- losing a Grand Final is like picking up the most amazing woman on a Friday night, then just as you get inside the door back at your place after the best kiss of your life, she drops dead.

Losing a major semi is like going up to that same chick, thinking you're in for a while and then her introducing you to her fiancee.

RABK

Referee
Why am i not suprised that analogy came from someone with Quagmire as their avatar?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Red and Blue Knight said:
My thoughts exactly.

Though during Newies 13 game losing streak in early 05, well i just can't find the words to explain the gutted feelings i had in the carpark after every match. Absolute despair is i guess how i'll describe it and it just built week after week. Now i look back and to be quite honest, i could go through that (a horror streak) so much easier a second time around.

The Roosters prelim loss in 2000 was absolutely heart breaking, a grand final must be 5 times worse.

I'm hoping for a Knights vs Broncos Grand Final thsi year - 20 year clubs, good rivalry and one will have to lose their first grand final.
Agreed 100%. I think I would prefer my team to lose a Prelim Final rather than have all my hopes and dreams built up throughout Grand Final week only to have it ripped away in eighty minutes of madness. I hope to never witness a losing Knights Grand Final.