What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When Losing Hurts

Would you rather your team make a GF and lose it, or get knocked out in a semi-final?

• A Grand Final loss

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Get knocked out in a semi final

Votes: 39 42.4%

• Total voters

Brycey

Juniors
Losing a semi, as a Roosters fan I'm absolutely petrified of Grand Finals from now on.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Well with my baseball kids this year, I would have been more devastated if we lost the semi finals than the grand final.
Luckily, we didn't have to deal with either scenario!

coached sons footy team for the past 3 yrs..made the GF each year and each yr lost be freakin 2 pts..14-12..18-16 and 12 -10...im soo sick of smiling for the runner up medal..that hurts..but at least we played every game possible

Shorty

Staff member
Losing a GF is bad but you're still proud your team got to the finals.
I think it hurt so much for Storm fans because it was almost in the bag.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Mate we won a GF from 10-9 after being down 9-0 with one out at the top of the last innings. I have never seen so many ten year olds bawl their eyes out in the one place.
So I'd rather lose for the duration of the match than choke with the end it sight.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I'd rather lose in a semi final than a GF. Absolutely no contest. To feel the euphoria of knowing your team has a chance of winning it all.. but to get beaten on GF day... worst feeling in the world

Although the PF losses to the Tigers/Storm were extremely painful as well

for me personally, even though its painful losing in a GF i think on the other hand you would be proud of your team, for making it that far

also because of what happend to us last year, realising you were basically almost in the GF, as we held a convincing lead at halftime and getting hammered in the 2nd half, was very painful

Sharks7

Juniors
Would rather lose the GF. There's still alot of pride in coming 2nd, despite the pain of losing. You'd be second guessing yourself about what could've been if you lost the semi. With the GF you know you've given your all you were just unlucky for whatever reason the day.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Alright then Saab...
Actually I've never seen Souths lose a Grand Final either, although we haven't made the semis since 1895...

Mr Saab

Referee
Coleman said:
Alright then Saab...
Actually I've never seen Souths lose a Grand Final either, although we haven't made the semis since 1895...

I dont think you have been alive to see the Bunnies make the semis.
Might, just might change this yr.

Brycey

Juniors
Sharks7 said:
Would rather lose the GF. There's still alot of pride in coming 2nd, despite the pain of losing. You'd be second guessing yourself about what could've been if you lost the semi. With the GF you know you've given your all you were just unlucky for whatever reason the day.
I think everyone would come to the consensus that Sharks fans really have no relevance here...:lol:

Farva

Juniors
I think it comes down to expectations. If you are expected to win, it really f**king hurts, but when you support the under-dog, i dont think it is so bad.

Canard

Immortal
Ill never watch the 2005 Grand Final ever again, not even one minute of it if I can help it.

But saying that Im still happy that my team made it.

Brycey

Juniors
Farva said:
I think it comes down to expectations. If you are expected to win, it really f**king hurts, but when you support the under-dog, i dont think it is so bad.
Exactly. 2000 GF doesn't bother me, I was just happy my team made it.

2003 is horrible, I can never watch a minute of that game and whenever they show footage of that Scott Sattler tackle I always turn away.:crazy:

Red Bear

Referee
Having seen the bears lose in 96, and 97, and even 98 in various finals matches semi's was bad. 97 is the one i remember wathcing on tv, seing the field goal go over and a bear played kinda fall over in the mud. Sad moment:(

That would've been the grand final to end all grand finals as well, Norths vs Manly - perfect advertisement of whythe ARL wasbetter than the super league hahaha, althothe newcastle manly grand final did much the same job