When will Cordner be forced into retirement ?

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Munted, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Pistol_Pete

Pistol_Pete Juniors

Plodner will be a big loss

blue bags likes this.
  2. DeeJ

DeeJ Bench

Liam Fulton had to retire because he had 3 concussions in half a season - although he did have 2 in 2 weeks.

I think they are showing Cordner too much respect in regards to his career and position in the game at the sake of his health.

3. Babyface O'reilly

Babyface O'reilly First Grade

Sorry to hear, Komori. Sounds tough. I know you said you’re still suffering twenty years on but I hope the symptoms are at least getting a little more manageable with time. Cheers

4. Saxon

Saxon Juniors

Nah mate, head knocks don't make you smarter.

5. THE CHAMP

THE CHAMP First Grade

I reckon you might be surprised.
    However it’s got absolutely nothing to do with journalism skills

blue bags likes this.
  6. Get Rid of The Donkeys

Get Rid of The Donkeys Juniors

Anyone remember Shaun Valentine?

He played for Wests Panthers in the 90s before getting signed by the Cowboys. Suffered numerous concussions during his NRL career, which forced him into early retirement. I read an article a few years back that said it has caused him a few medical problems.

http://dailym.ai/1RN7vTa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Valentine

blue bags likes this.
  7. Get Rid of The Donkeys

Get Rid of The Donkeys Juniors

You have my sympathy as I can relate to some of what you're experiencing. I've had many concussions ever since I was a little kid. One injury was so bad it caused a fracture in my skull. I regularly get stiff necks, severe headaches and sometimes a migraine.

The other day I had a severe headache for 5 hours. Not even a combination of codeine and ibuprofen offered any relief. The only thing that helped was using a cold pack for about an hour. These days I am getting headaches every bloody day, despite physio.

My short term memory isn't the best. Sometimes I brush my teeth 2 or 3 times during daylight hours because I couldn't remember cleaning them. The brightside is I never need fillings.

blue bags and Babyface O'reilly like this.
  8. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

yeh, I've taken a few

case closed

blue bags likes this.
  9. Billythekid

Billythekid First Grade

The NRL should be concerned as well. Head injuries, concussions and the long term impacts is only going to be a bigger and bigger issue facing sport across the world. Having someone like Cordner end up with serious issues in the future is a bad look and will come back to bite them.

There should be more done to protect players and when things get bad they need to be getting the right advice re their long term health.

10. Wizardman

Wizardman First Grade

Great point. Cordner has had too many issues just this year for it to be ignored. It is a high profile case and he seems unwilling to make the call himself. Roosters / NRL will either make him make the call or they will do it for him. I cannot see both of those parties letting him play another game.
    I hope Im right for Cordner's sake. He seems like a top bloke who puts in 100% everytime....that seems to be working against him sadly atm.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    blue bags likes this.
  11. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

12. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Referee

It's nice to know that the most disrespected player in the history of the LU forums is very much in the thoughts of LU forum members.

13. 10$ Ferret

10$ Ferret Juniors

the only person I have heard talk about Cordner that I would listen to is Dr Adrian Cohen.. Everyone else has been some idiot in the media without any knowledge or training.
    Dr Cohen expressed concern and it was valid. He is a concussion expert used by the NRL and Australian Rugby.
    I know enough about the Roosters Drs to know that they put the players health well in front of the player's career.
    It will be interesting to see what happens, if he does continue to play I am sure he will physically and mentally capably to continue because the decision will be passed/ratified by experts.

the opinions of the media and commentators in terms of Cordners health is nothing more than effluent flowing out of ignorant mouths

blue bags likes this.
  14. Exsilium

Exsilium First Grade

Would it be worthwhile allowing clubs to select one of the extended bench players to replace a player not cleared under the HIA rules during a game?

There would need to be rules around it but the pressure to get back on the field is reduced.

15. lazza

lazza Juniors

Storm would exploit it.

The problem is league is a momentum/fatigue sport.
    So if they’re allowed to sub, they would have a fresh interchange and the other team is disadvantaged.

if they’re not, that team is short a player. If it happens in the 50-60 min mark I think it can swing the game.

blue bags likes this.
  16. Chimp

Chimp Juniors

This is exactly right, anything done with adding players to the bench, or additional concussion interchanges will just be exploited for an in game advantage.
    I think it should sort itself out naturally - if a player becomes ‘easily’ concussed, his team have 2 options; 1 - Don’t play him, for his own health and also because it’ll likely leave you a man down in a game. 2 - Play him, and build your bench around the fact you’ll need cover for that player ‘just in case.
    As for Cordner himself, whilst it’s not for me to say he should retire, that is entirely down to him and his medical advice (we don’t have enough info), it doesn’t look great for him. It could be that he’s just very unlucky, he plays the game very tough and sticks his head where most wouldn’t both in attack and defence - he steams in head first in attack, which is why he is difficult to tackle and makes those hard yards regularly, but it also opens up his substantial chin for contact, whether deliberate or accidental/careless. But, from the outside, it does look like it’s taking less and less impact for him to stay down dazed - that is a concern - you see it with boxers, once they’ve been knocked out once or twice, they suddenly become ‘chinny’, and that can’t be a good sign long term.

blue bags and Munted like this.
  17. Danish

Danish Referee

So how many concussions has Cordner had vs your average NRL player to warrant all this talk?

18. blue bags

blue bags First Grade

calm down Danish

19. Billythekid

Billythekid First Grade

Have you never read a single thread about Cam Smith (still pains me to write cam lol)?

moffla likes this.
  20. Fangs

Fangs Bench

Has achieved it all. Should retire so NSW and Australia can revitalise our backrow.

blue bags likes this.