What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where are we going to get the money from Gus?

Shifty

Juniors
Third party sponsorship needs to be encouraged more, rather than being so overly restricted.

Certainly there is massive pontential for abuse with these payments, but I think if there was more opportunity for legitimate payments there would be less pressure on clubs and we'd have more pull to keep talent in the NRL.

There must be a way that the system can be relaxed to allow properly declared payments to increase our players earning potentials.

Shifty

Juniors
Maybe we could also try selling out by renting our jerseys out for movie promotions?

I know it seems tacky in a way and there does have to be a point where you don't sell out what you're true to, but we do need to stop being so caught up in tradition that we don't take the steps necessary to keep the standard of the NRL where it should be.

What's the point of being "authentic" if your club ends up folding or bleeding the talent it develops? There are opportunities out there for coporate support that many clubs are passing up or not chasing that need to be given proper consideration.

Alex28

Coach
Third party deals restrictions loosened.

/thread :)
Of course! There is a bottomless amount of money that sponsors will just give the clubs and players!

That just solves all of our problems! Why didn't anybody think of that before!

A revolutionary like you is needed at Cronulla pronto.

big country

Juniors
What Gus said was 100% correct. Rugby League cannot afford to keep punishing it`s best players by not being able to pay them what they`re worth. Why should the Melbourne Storm be punished for creating a great side, they didn`t steal anyone else`s players. The cap should only be for imported players, not for players developed by the club. As a Wests Tigers fan I understand we don`t have as much money as what most other clubs do, but I don`t want to steal other clubs players, as long as we can pay the likes of Benji, Farah and the others that we have developed what they are worth and i`m sure we can accomodate that, than who cares how much the Melbourne Storm or others pay their players ???

so stealing another clubs promising juniors is not stealing?

Where are we going to get the money from Gus

Why don,t Sydney people buy memberships like the AFL . AFL Clubs have between 25,000 and 50,000 members thats where you get the money.

Vicious

Bench
so stealing another clubs promising juniors is not stealing?

Clubs such as the Eels, Roosters and Bulldogs have been stealing the best Wests juniors at a very young age for years, players such as Jarryd Hayne, Krisnan Inu, the Paea brother etc, what can you do about that.
In my opinion a junior has to be any player that played their first 10 first grade games for that club or a junior that was poached by a rival club at a young age, but is now returning to their true junior club.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Set the cap at 50% of income and let the clubs that don't belong in the big league find a level where they are more comfortable at.

Frailty

First Grade
Clubs such as the Eels, Roosters and Bulldogs have been stealing the best Wests juniors at a very young age for years, players such as Jarryd Hayne, Krisnan Inu, the Paea brother etc, what can you do about that.
In my opinion a junior has to be any player that played their first 10 first grade games for that club or a junior that was poached by a rival club at a young age, but is now returning to their true junior club.

These two players, I know for a fact, played for Cabramatta in the Parramatta Junior League.

Frailty

First Grade
Set the cap at 50% of income and let the clubs that don't belong in the big league find a level where they are more comfortable at.

ROFL, so you want to essentially decrease the amount that the clubs spend on players.

Melbourne wouldn't have any players, nor would many of the privately owned clubs.

Vicious

Bench
These two players, I know for a fact, played for Cabramatta in the Parramatta Junior League.

These two players were paid a significant amount of money at around age 15 to swap from Minto in the Wests juniors to Cabramatta so they could play junior reps for Parramatta. In other words POACHED !!!

BackhanderBilly

Juniors
The Eeels , Roosters and Bulldogs have been STEALING Wests juniors?

Wests don't own anyone. It is a little thing we call freedom. Your attitude is arcane. The world has gone global or haven't you heard? Wests juniors can even go to France and earn a million bucks a year. Fancy that!

Developing juniors is very nice, but don't bleat when they leave.

Vicious

Bench
The Eeels , Roosters and Bulldogs have been STEALING Wests juniors?

Wests don't own anyone. It is a little thing we call freedom. Your attitude is arcane. The world has gone global or haven't you heard? Wests juniors can even go to France and earn a million bucks a year. Fancy that!

Developing juniors is very nice, but don't bleat when they leave.

I understand all that. I made the point in response to many people on here claiming Gus was wrong to state that the Melbourne Storm created their own champion players. Many people responded by saying they were poached down to Melbourne at a young age.

BackhanderBilly

Juniors
I understand all that. I made the point in response to many people on here claiming Gus was wrong to state that the Melbourne Storm created their own champion players. Many people responded by saying they were poached down to Melbourne at a young age.
I agree that Gus's claims that Melbourne created those players is ridiculous. It is the use of the word "steal" that irks.

You and your magpie cronies are forever banging on about people stealing your players. The Tigers should concentrate on buying players like the successful clubs and place far less emphasis on producing players. Producing players is a waste of time if you want to be successful.

Were you one of the jokers who wanted to hang on shannon gallant at all costs cause lote was past it?

Canard

Immortal
Just to touch on a point raised in the first page, that the league has a $150M yearly revenue.

Revenue doesn't = profit.

I.e. the NRL doesn't have a $150M in the bank every year to spend on what it wants.

LRC

Just to touch on a point raised in the first page, that the league has a $150M yearly revenue.

Revenue doesn't = profit.

I.e. the NRL doesn't have a $150M in the bank every year to spend on what it wants.

New ltd take a large chunk of that so they can retrieve their losses from the war...hence the stumbling block for the independant commission.
If they didnt there would be enough to go around.

Vicious

Bench
I agree that Gus's claims that Melbourne created those players is ridiculous. It is the use of the word "steal" that irks.

You and your magpie cronies are forever banging on about people stealing your players. The Tigers should concentrate on buying players like the successful clubs and place far less emphasis on producing players. Producing players is a waste of time if you want to be successful.

Were you one of the jokers who wanted to hang on shannon gallant at all costs cause lote was past it?

I can assure you that wasn`t me, i`d still have Shannon Gallant at the club along with Lote if it were up to me.
The Wests Tigers don`t need to steal other clubs high profile players, we can survive on our own talent and occasionally picking up decent players unwanted by other clubs such as Todd Payten and Pat Richards as well as some high profile players not attached to other NRL clubs such as Lote Tuquiri. It`s a much better feeling to win premierships rather than to buy premierships.

Quidgybo

Bench
New ltd take a large chunk of that so they can retrieve their losses from the war...hence the stumbling block for the independant commission.
If they didnt there would be enough to go around.
News Ltd take $8m per year in dividend from the NRL. Today's papers revealed they've been putting an average of $13m into running the Storm for the last five years. You could argue that if they weren't in the game we'd have a better television deal but nothing on that front is going to change until 2013. Removing News from the game is not going to help things for years to come.

Leigh.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I`m talking about ... the Eels in particular. They don`t win premierships they try and buy them, that`s far more of a disgrace then any side that creates their own stars and are penalised because of it !!!

Pfft.

Parra's highest paid players are Cayless, Hindmarsh and Hayne.

Other current Eels players who made their first grade debuts with the club are:

Burt
Grothe
Inu
Reddy
Kris and Matt Keating
Mortimer
Moimoi
Mannah
Ben Smith
Mateo
Horo

The only Eels players from last year's decider who didn't make their first grade debuts at Parra were

Jeff Robson
Todd Lowrie
Kevin Kingston
Joe Galuvao

None of them were on big money. The other 13 were all developed by the Eels.

Other grand finalists developed by the Eels that were bought by other clubs were

Jamie Lyon (2007-2008)
Jack Afamasaga (2007)
Casey McGuire (2006)
Pat Richards (2005)
Jason Cayless (2002-2004)
Chad Robinson (2003-2004)
Andrew Ryan (2004)
Willie Tonga (2004)
PJ Marsh (2002)

So as you can see, Parra develops loads of players, and loses them to the salary cap (as they should).

Get your facts straight, like this guy has:

look at the Raiders/Eels/Dragons they have developed a lot of players from a young age in the NRL but they have played by the cap rules and have lost some of them.

Latest posts