What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where in the St.George area are you from?

Acka

Coach
Born in St George Hospital in 1981. Grew up in Allawah which had a very strong connection to the 79 grand final winning side as Robert Stone was an Allawah junior, Michael Sorridimi lived in my street, Graeme Wynn was in the flats behind my house and Steve Morris was 2 streets down from us. Also it was the home town of St George's 1st ever treasurer Arthur Moymow. Now I'm in Hurstville only a stone's throw away from Hurstville Oval the home of the cricketing Saints

Cagey Mac

Bench
OK got it wrong, thanks Cagey.

No you got it right
I went to school with Neil Pringle and other Blu bags players

Always been a dragons man though
Saw Gasnier and King play the first time I went to a game a Henson Park and fell in love with the club, much to my dad's discust as he was former Canterbury lower grade player for a short while and always a big Berries fan

Used to walk to Tempe and catch the train to Kogarah but most games early on were at the SCG

My memories of DLS Kingsgrove's school song were from when I as a 5 YO being take to watch my 3 older cousins who attended the school in an athletics carnival
Never forgotten the words or the melody

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Haven't they always been wests?
Only since 1987.

Wests and Balmain are foundation clubs - 1908. Back then 'western suburbs' were found around Ashfield.

Campbelltown were almost Newtown, or the New Campbelltown Jets to be precise.

By the 1980s, there were a lot of things going against Newtown. Financial and geographical.
And imo they would have survived longer if Kevin Humphreys wasn't forced to resign as the League boss. Newtown had a debt to the NSWRL (as I recall). At that point Newtown were ready to relocate to Campbelltown, the debt to the NSWRL was not being called in and there was every chance that the New(Campbell)town Jets would weather the hard times. I knew for a fact that the Campbelltown council was on board, the mayor had association with Newtown and lived in Campbelltown and was right behind it.

But Humphreys was ousted after that 4 Corners report (episode called, 'The Big League') and his place was taken by John Quayle (and Ken Arthurson). The debt was immediately called in and Newtown were forced to fold in 1983.

Wests were also forced to fold at the time (1983) but they took the League to court and won. Newtown were not so lucky. About 4 years later, Wests made the move to Campbelltown, keeping their Leagues Club in Ashfield. They essentially took Newtown's spot in the south-west.

Since then Balmain joined Wests in a joint venture and the JV also included a third entity, Wests Campbelltown. Although this year, Wests Campbelltown left the JV, leaving just Western Suburbs and Balmain... and Balmain are in dire financial jeopardy. If Balmain were to fold, the JV would also dissolve and I imagine the NRL license would switch entirely to Wests - the Western Suburbs Magpies could very well be the name of the team and they would most definitely be playing out of Campbelltown.

The irony is that Wests, the club that the NSWRL tried to boot out of the comp in 1983, are now one of the richest clubs in Sydney... thanks largely to their prosperous Leagues club in Ashfield.

Last edited:

saints4me

Juniors
Kingsgrove, not north, we use to play them in football.

I'm Kingsgrove South myself. Back when the school excelled at nothing. I held my end of the bargain there. I finished in '73. Yeah I know I'm an old dinosaur. Stoney Creek road and Kingsgrove road.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Born in St George Hospital in 1981. Grew up in Allawah which had a very strong connection to the 79 grand final winning side as Robert Stone was an Allawah junior, Michael Sorridimi lived in my street, Graeme Wynn was in the flats behind my house and Steve Morris was 2 streets down from us. Also it was the home town of St George's 1st ever treasurer Arthur Moymow. Now I'm in Hurstville only a stone's throw away from Hurstville Oval the home of the cricketing Saints
Also one of our original home grounds Acka, as I'm sure you know.

Acka

Coach
Earlwood is bulldogs country although we use to play dulwich hill high in football for some reason. .

Earlwood was originally Newtown territory but since the Jets folded they have been playing in the St George junior league

Acka

Coach
Also one of our original home grounds Acka, as I'm sure you know.

Where Jack Lindwall scored a St George club record 6 tries in a game against Manly in 1947. In that same game he also equalled the record for most points scored in a 1st grade game with 36 (6 tries and 9 goals). We won that game 61-11 which was Manly's biggest ever loss until they got beat 72-12 by Penrith in 2004. FYI the other person with the 1st grade point scoring record in a single game was Les Griffen when he scored 36 points (2 tries and 15 goals) against Canterbury on May 11 1935 in a 91-6 at Earl Park in Arncliffe

TonyTrugett

Juniors
A girl from my school married Michael sorridimi.

TonyTrugett

Juniors
I'm Kingsgrove South myself. Back when the school excelled at nothing. I held my end of the bargain there. I finished in '73. Yeah I know I'm an old dinosaur. Stoney Creek road and Kingsgrove road.
Likewise. I spent a lot of time staring out the window at that intersection. In maths I was making up the numbers metaphorically and literally.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes Acka, 91-6 and Les Griffin's record is standard reading at the lol@Canterbury academy. lol

I saw the club website some years ago when Wes Naiqama broke the record in Jersey Flegg. I kept a record of it:

18 June 2002: Jersey Flegg (third grade) back Wes Naiqama has secured a club record by scoring 38 points. Naiqama crossed for five tries and kicked nine goals from as many attempts to surpass the joint record of 36 points held by Les Griffin and Jack Lindwall.
Griffin scored two tries and kicked 15 goals in 1935 while playing for St George and Lindwall made his mark with six tries and nine goals in 1947 while also donning the ‘Red V’.
Archived: http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/history_champ.php
Original source: http://www.dragons.com.au/news/static/article_798.php