What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the anti-Hagan sentiment in the media?

Mr Opinionated

Juniors
"Hagan is lucky he is not Brian Smith. If Smith was still coaching Parramatta, certain sections of the media would be tearing him apart. Hagan has been spared, but the reality is that, as coach, he has to share the responsibility for the team's form with the players."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/eels-need-a-miracle/2008/07/13/1215887452618.html

Admittedly my anti-Hagan feelings have been bubbling up over the last few months and weeks and really exploded over the loss to Souths.

But why has the media been slow to turn against Hagan?

I would probably think the media sentiments are always behind the sentiments of fans on message boards and that the tide will eventually turn in the next few weeks if the team's dismal performances continue.

Stagger eel

Staff member
bloody good question...

fact is Hages isn't an arsehole to the media so he's treated civally compared to the likes of Smith and Stuart.

oldmancraigy

Coach
bloody good question...

fact is Hages isn't an arsehole to the media so he's treated civally compared to the likes of Smith and Stuart.

really??

Smith always comes across quite well in interviews...

The media as a whole don't nail him - just a couple of guys with their axes to grind.

Maybe people just don't expect much from Hagan? Take away that first premiership winning season and his coaching career is decidedly ordinary

strider

Post Whore
mmmm .... very good question ..... i guess it shows either:
a) the telecrap reporters' internet connection is down and they aren't reading this forum :lol:
b) the telecrap reporters are full of agendas

Suitman

Post Whore
mmmm .... very good question ..... i guess it shows either:
a) the telecrap reporters' internet connection is down and they aren't reading this forum :lol:
b) the telecrap reporters are full of agendas

c) All of the above.

Lock in C Eddie.

Suity

Bigfella

Coach
bloody good question...

I disagree with that.

I think Smith is probably the best interviewee, including at press conferences, of any of the media.

The real reason the media love to crucify him is that they know he is less popular with the fans in general.

Therefore they know that bagging him in general will be poular with a certain number of people, and is therefore safe. This then builds a cycle, as a lot of people belive preconsceptions about him based on what they always read ...

If the way people treated the media was related to how they spke to them - Wayne Bennett would be public enemy no 1!

stuke

Bench
Hagan has been the go to man for a quote on everyone elses problems this year for the DT. they appear to be looking after him quite well.

Eels Dude

Coach
Hagan's been given an easy ride... All we need is someone on this forum to contact Danny Weidler pretending to be a player and saying there's "dissatisfaction in the Parramatta camp"... That'll get the ball rolling.

Stagger eel

Staff member
really??

Smith always comes across quite well in interviews...

The media as a whole don't nail him - just a couple of guys with their axes to grind.

Maybe people just don't expect much from Hagan? Take away that first premiership winning season and his coaching career is decidedly ordinary

I regard Smithy as qa great coach and a good bloke but alot of media couldn't cop him because he does come across sarcastic and condesending {sp} at times

aqua_duck

Coach
Those who know what they're talking about in the media I don't think ever had anything against smith, the ones who had something against him were a certain ex cabby, and serial DUI offender and the rest of the muppets at the terrorgraph. Combined number of 1st grade games between all the smith baggers:0. Nuff said

strider

Post Whore
yeah smithy can be a smartarse .... and I think he generally has reason to give the media some cryptic backhanders .... seems many so-called journos can dish a bit out, but can't take it back

parra pete

Referee
Hagan's been given an easy ride... All we need is someone on this forum to contact Danny Weidler pretending to be a player and saying there's "dissatisfaction in the Parramatta camp"... That'll get the ball rolling.

Hammer the players who are supposedly getting paid heaps to perform.
It is not the coach dropping the pill ---- or missing the tackles.

Daneel

Bench

Good point Pete, but then again isn't the coaches job to teach players to catch the ball and not miss tackles. If he is working on their ball handling and defence and they still do it, isn't it then the coaches job to not select them to play. Personally i think Hagan should be criticised by the media as well as the players.

Mr Opinionated

Juniors

WTF??

How anyone could be defending Hagan is a complete mystery to me

Is it not the coach who implements the game plan?
Is it not the coach who axes underperforming players?
Is it not the coach who coaches the players the fundamentals of the game?
Is it not the coach who motivates the players?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
WTF??

How anyone could be defending Hagan is a complete mystery to me

Is it not the coach who implements the game plan?
Is it not the coach who axes underperforming players?
Is it not the coach who coaches the players the fundamentals of the game?
Is it not the coach who motivates the players?

Stop talking sense:lol:

Eels Dude

Coach

That's the easiest defence of a coach around.

He may not be, but he's certainly not improving anything. He should have been hammering them since round one, the fact that the players are making the same mistakes week after week shows he's just not getting his message through. And there's problems with a coach if he can't do that.

I'd be more supportive of Hagan if he at least came out and admitted the problems, and offered some sort of solutions to problems instead of saying the same thing in the press conferences all week.

"We trained well leading up to the game... At times we played some good footy ....We lacked attitude and concentration in certain parts and it cost us.... I thought we started off well... I thought the refs call against (insert eels player name) was harsh... that's something we'll have to work on during the week..."

Same thing every week. All excuses no solutions. At least Brian Smith used to admit it if there was a problem. He'd drop players too, even if we didn't agree with them, he'd back his own judgement and make the calls.

Latest posts