What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is your loyalty??

strider

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
Well, because they wanted his services for the Manly club...Right?

and he seemed very keen to be there despite his whole - "oh i can't live in sydney any more" rubbish

yy_cheng

Coach
I reckon it was different. Graham did it in a proper and honourable way. :thumb

M Witt was the one I thought that was screwed with. Signing him to a 4 year contract and then telling him he will not figure in 1st grade is a bit over the top imho.

parralight

Juniors
My mail (oh not not one of those again :roll: :roll: )
is the following -
1. Jamie wants to come back to Parra
2. Fitzy wants him back at Parra
3. Hagan wants him at Parra.

The things Jamie is worried about are the reaction from his ex teammates and the fans.
The fans will come around when he plays well but if the senior players (hindy and Cayless etc) dont like it he wont resign.

Let me add my opinion to the saga too...

1. He was a very young footballer who was easily led. (photo at Manly)
2. Hes not the sharpest tool in the shed. (photo at Manly)
3. He just had enough with being stuck in a parra side that he saw was defence orientated. He hardly got the ball and the Parra / Bulldogs clash was the straw that broke the camels back. He loves playing in England as the boys just give him the ball at every opportunity and he is carving them up.
Be assured that Hagan will be promising him a 5/8 role if he returns so he can get some ball.
4. He loves the Parra club and wants to return. If the players and fans can forgive him we will see the return of one of the best players this decade.

lastly - what were you like when you were 21 ? Did you make stupid decisions that you now regret ? Imagine what it was like for him when you had Noel Cleal and others on your back all the time telling you you were the greatest etc etc...

spiderdan

Bench
it amazes me that people are not willing to forgive and forget. lyon had his reasons for walking and i was as ticked off as anyone.

but this crap about him being a traitor that doesn't deserve to play for us is a load of rubbish. i seem to remember eric grothe not wanting to play football anymore because he'd had enough and had an injury he couldn't get over. he "retired" and two weeks later was signed to the roosters.

i don't see too much difference in what he did and what jamie did but everyone seems to have forgiven guru2.

lyon is one of those players that comes along once in a blue moon. the only other backs/halves i reckon are even close to having his natural talent are lockyer, johns and minicello.

if he wants back he should be allowed back.

Glenn

First Grade
No doubt Jamie is a talented player, but once he burnt his team mates and supporters like that I can understand the second thoughts on having him pull on the Blue and Gold.
You can blame he being young etc, but surely he knew what he was doing

Avenger

Immortal
As far as I am concerned the only players that he has to get acceptance from is Hindmarsh, McKinnon and Grothe. They are the only ones left from 2004 who play consistently .

The rest are overrated s*ftcocks.

Sterling

Juniors
eels1986 said:
It's one thing to have the players accept him back but what about the loyal fans? If he comes back, the club and Jamie himself will have to go into a Public Relations frenzy to try and win our trust and support again.

This is exactly what I am talking about. How much loyalty and trust did a lot of saupporters give Ashley Graham over the last two years? But we expect back unconditionally from the players?
Let me go on record and say I didn't approve of Jamie doing what he did and it also made my blood boil. My blood also boils when some supporters continuely look for scapegoats. Graham, Burt, Morris, Cayless. FFS just support our team. Not for one minute am I suggesting we don't give constructive criticism when it is due but to say things like Graham cost the Eels both games at suncorp stadium is crap. Take a look at Friday nights game against the cowboys and you will notice how well John Morris did play but because he didn't play like Benji he needs to be replaced??

great post ... see the thread i posted about players who read these forums ....

Eelementary

Post Whore
strider said:
and he seemed very keen to be there despite his whole - "oh i can't live in sydney any more" rubbish

Gets back to my original point, though - he was there as a guest and pampered.

If I was treated like that, I'd be keen too!

Eelementary

Post Whore
parralight said:
1. He was a very young footballer who was easily led. (photo at Manly)
2. Hes not the sharpest tool in the shed. (photo at Manly)
3. He just had enough with being stuck in a parra side that he saw was defence orientated. He hardly got the ball and the Parra / Bulldogs clash was the straw that broke the camels back. He loves playing in England as the boys just give him the ball at every opportunity and he is carving them up.
Be assured that Hagan will be promising him a 5/8 role if he returns so he can get some ball.
4. He loves the Parra club and wants to return. If the players and fans can forgive him we will see the return of one of the best players this decade.

lastly - what were you like when you were 21 ? Did you make stupid decisions that you now regret ? Imagine what it was like for him when you had Noel Cleal and others on your back all the time telling you you were the greatest etc etc...

I totally agree.

I can see his frustration - widely labelled the best centre around, and yet he never gets any ball. It would mess up your head, especially if you're young and people kiss your arse wherever you go.

Eelementary

Post Whore
spiderdan said:
it amazes me that people are not willing to forgive and forget. lyon had his reasons for walking and i was as ticked off as anyone.

but this crap about him being a traitor that doesn't deserve to play for us is a load of rubbish. i seem to remember eric grothe not wanting to play football anymore because he'd had enough and had an injury he couldn't get over. he "retired" and two weeks later was signed to the roosters.

i don't see too much difference in what he did and what jamie did but everyone seems to have forgiven guru2.

lyon is one of those players that comes along once in a blue moon. the only other backs/halves i reckon are even close to having his natural talent are lockyer, johns and minicello.

if he wants back he should be allowed back.

I totally agree.

As I said in another thread - he's damned if he does, and he's damned if he doesn't. Some resent him because he tried to avoid slinging mud at Brian Smith's name. Others resent him because he walked out.

Look, it wasn't done right at all. But I haven't heard him say, "Oh, I hate the Eels, and the players are all idiots." He left because he was frustrated because the coach decided to:

(1) Not use backline movements, despite having the world's best centre in his backline;

(2) Sign 5/8's from OUTSIDE the club, despite the fact he wanted to play 5/8 (to me, it seems like a massive kick int he teeth - he volunteers to play 5/8 and the coach says no and then signs outside players to play there).

parralight

Juniors
Eelementary said:
(1) Not use backline movements, despite having the world's best centre in his backline;

Hmmm... we have Tahu and Grothe and still havent changed.
Have you noticed when we do use the backline who many tries we actually score ????

Eelementary

Post Whore
parralight said:
Hmmm... we have Tahu and Grothe and still havent changed.
Have you noticed when we do use the backline who many tries we actually score ????

I haven't noticed how many...But I would imagine more than by not?

We have a great backline - speed, agility, power, skills...I believe we should use them more.

Get Tahu or Petersen one-on-one with some space with their opposing player and watch them wreak havoc.

Nikki

Coach
I think he will find it hard to get the backing of those senior players. They were not impressed that a "mate" could do that to them. I doubt they would want to put themselves or the club in that position again. I wouldnt trust him. The amount of excuses he prattled off just makes him look worse. I think one was that his Mrs had had a miscarriage. For that, my heart truely went out to him, but then I dont think it was true. Whether he used that excuse or it was a media beat up it was very sick! If he were to return to the club, I personally would not associate with him.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's a fair point, Nikki.

I would assume that if he returned, he'd make an apology. I'd be very interested to hear it, to be honest.

PB

Bench
If he loves Parra so much, why has he not ruled out staying at St Helens, infact he has had "the best two years of his life"

Lyon suggested he could sign a highly-paid deal to extend his stay at St Helens.

"I definitely wouldn't rule it out," said Lyon. "I've had a ball over here so far and even if I don't win a trophy with the club I would still have had the best two years of my life.

"It's an amazing club and there's a lot of great people here. The style of football Saints play is ideally suited to my game and I'm enjoying myself so much."

He walked out end of story. I was always taught, "don't burn your bridges".

Ash wants to go. He has approached the club that he is obviously interested in leaving, he didn't just walk like Lyon. Ash may not be as talanted as Lyon, but he has been around for a while and always had a go. Lyon didn't even hang around...

Stagger eel

Staff member
PB said:
If he loves Parra so much, why has he not ruled out staying at St Helens, infact he has had "the best two years of his life"

He walked out end of story. I was always taught, "don't burn your bridges".

Ash wants to go. He has approached the club that he is obviously interested in leaving, he didn't just walk like Lyon. Ash may not be as talanted as Lyon, but he has been around for a while and always had a go. Lyon didn't even hang around...

it depends who you believe mate, there's been several reports saying that there's no way he'll stay in England.

PB

Bench
I realise that. But they are quotes from Jamie Lyon, so if he is just telling furfies to them that he wants to stay and is having the time of his life, then how could we trust him if he came back to parramatta? You can't in my opinion.

Stagger eel

Staff member
PB said:
I realise that. But they are quotes from Jamie Lyon, so if he is just telling furfies to them that he wants to stay and is having the time of his life, then how could we trust him if he came back to parramatta? You can't in my opinion.

mate, let's just see what happens...if he's geunine he'll come back with the blessings of the officials and ex teammates.

parralight

Juniors
I think perhaps that Jamie may have a confrontation issue. When confronted about something for example ... Do you love the eels ?He will always say.. Yes love it
If confronted by someone asking Do you get on with Brian Smith - Yes great
Do you like England ?- Great fantastic
Do you like green eggs and ham ? - I do I do .....

Get the picture?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think it's simpler than that.

Imagine he wants to come back, but the Board and senior players say no.

Of course, to avoid having egg on his face, he would say that he wouldn't rule out staying in England.

Latest posts