What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where it went wrong 2023

Want a perfect example of a weak comp? Just look at the current season that's about to come to an end.
All of penriths comps have been weak.

Let's be honest lol

They run a clinic because they are allowed to with rule changes like 6 again that suit their fast up tempo style.

Not worthy of 3 in a row. Anyone but them for me.

Generalzod

Immortal

Let's be honest lol

They run a clinic because they are allowed to with rule changes like 6 again that suit their fast up tempo style.

Every club played with the same rules, why didn't our club run the same kind of clinic????

Frenzy.

Immortal

Let's be honest lol

Maybe their coaching staff and players were just better at adapting to that one. Or did the NRL bring that one in at their request? LOL

The Dally M nominations are out.
We have the grand total of nominees numbered at 2
Ronnie for winger, and Briton for second rower
I'm actually surprised we got one, but Bit has been very good

AwardNominees
Fullback of the YearJames Tedesco (Roosters)
Dylan Edwards (Panthers)
Kalyn Ponga (Knights)
Winger of the Year
(two winners)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Warriors)
Jamayne Isaako (Dolphins)
Brian To’o (Panthers)
Dominic Young (Knights)
Selwyn Cobbo (Broncos)
Ronaldo Mulitalo (Sharks)
Centre of the Year
(two winners)
Stephen Crichton (Panthers)
Bradman Best (Knights)
Kotoni Staggs (Broncos)
Campbell Graham (Rabbitohs)
Herbie Farnworth (Broncos)
Izack Tago (Panthers)
Five-Eighth of the YearEzra Mam (Broncos)
Cameron Munster (Storm)
Cody Walker (Rabbitohs)
Halfback of the YearNathan Cleary (Panthers)
Daly Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles)
Shaun Johnson (Warriors)
Hooker of the YearWayde Egan (Warriors)
Apisai Koroisau (Wests Tigers)
Harry Grant (Storm)
Prop of the Year
(two winners)
Lindsay Collins (Roosters)
Payne Haas (Broncos)
James Fisher-Harris (Panthers)
Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Storm)
Jake Trbojevic (Sea Eagles)
Addin Fonua-Blake (Warriors)
Second Row of the Year
(two winners)
Liam Martin (Panthers)
Briton Nikora (Sharks)
Tyson Frizell (Knights)
Haumole Olakau'atu (Sea Eagles)
David Fifita (Titans)
Hudson Young (Raiders)
Lock of the YearTohu Harris (Warriors)
Isaah Yeo (Panthers)
Patrick Carrigan (Broncos)
Coach of the YearKevin Walters (Broncos)
Andrew Webster (Warriors)
Ivan Cleary (Panthers)
Captain of the YearAdam Reynolds (Broncos)
Tohu Harris (Warriors)
Isaah Yeo (Panthers)
Rookie of the YearJahream Bula (Wests Tigers)
William Warbrick (Storm)
Sunia Turuva (Panthers)
Try of the YearDominic Young (Knights)
Mathew Feagai (Dragons)
Sunia Turuva (Panthers)
Tackle of the YearJoseph Tapine (Raiders)
Haumole Olakau'atu (Sea Eagles)
Ezra Mam (Broncos

PJ

First Grade
Ronnie is a joke. Terrible this year. Bombed so many tries with crap carries and the amount of time and how far infield he is all the time shit me

Frailty

First Grade
Problems this season:
- Persisted with Moylan when Trindall was the better player to start the season when Nicho was out. I'd argue Trindall's development stalled because of the delay of getting into the first grade team.

- Inconsistent forward group due to injuries/suspension. I think fitness was an issue because they all seemed to be coming back from injury or time away from the game.

- Brailey offering little - The good teams all have hookers that can directly impact the game, whereas Brailey was a passenger for most of it. He can run, he can kick, but it seems like he doesn't want to do it. He also doesn't deal with pressure well IMO, leading to poor decision making and passes.

- Fitzgibbon was too loyal - I really lost interest in the season following the Storm loss when the exact same team was named. Ronnie, Moylan, Kaufusi, Brailey, etc. should have all had stints in NSW cup, instead they were gifted more games than they should have been. If there is no genuine competition for positions than you can't expect high-level performances.

Peach & Apricot

Juniors
Katoa was our best winger this year, he should have been nominated ahead of Mulitalo.

Also we expect far too much from our wingers. We make them hit it up like prop forwards coming out of our 20m zone - it's surprising they have the energy to score any tries at all.

Weaponhead

Coach
Problems this season:
- Persisted with Moylan when Trindall was the better player to start the season when Nicho was out. I'd argue Trindall's development stalled because of the delay of getting into the first grade team.

- Inconsistent forward group due to injuries/suspension. I think fitness was an issue because they all seemed to be coming back from injury or time away from the game.

- Brailey offering little - The good teams all have hookers that can directly impact the game, whereas Brailey was a passenger for most of it. He can run, he can kick, but it seems like he doesn't want to do it. He also doesn't deal with pressure well IMO, leading to poor decision making and passes.

- Fitzgibbon was too loyal - I really lost interest in the season following the Storm loss when the exact same team was named. Ronnie, Moylan, Kaufusi, Brailey, etc. should have all had stints in NSW cup, instead they were gifted more games than they should have been. If there is no genuine competition for positions than you can't expect high-level performances.
Some good points here.

Trindall started the season very well covering for Hynes. It would have been interesting to see how the season played out if Trindall was retained over Moylan.

Forward pack is a significant issue. There were injuries but there will always be injuries. Looking at the top packs in the league, they are bigger, faster and more athletic than ours.

Brailey is playing like an iron man rather than a game changer. He is pacing himself to play 80 and doesn't back himself to demonstrate skill to change the game. Is that coached? Probably. he just doesn't look like someone who desperately wants to succeed. Maybe that's personality and an unfair perception.

Fitz too loyal? This will be one of his biggest learnings from the season. Stability and loyalty are fine qualities but there is a fine line when that leads to complacency due to lack of competition. Dropping Moylan was the right call but too late. Like Frailty, I lost a lot of interest after some of the dire performances were not followed by decisive action.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Katoa was our best winger this year, he should have been nominated ahead of Mulitalo.

Also we expect far too much from our wingers. We make them hit it up like prop forwards coming out of our 20m zone - it's surprising they have the energy to score any tries at all.
It’s a blight really on the lack of impact the forwards have, but hats off to the backs. Tracey getting ragdolled while Toby stands around with hands on hips. Yes it’s a generalisation, but seriously annoying