What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where should the next team be located

Where should next nrl team be located

• Central Coast

Votes: 54 32.0%
  • Darwin

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Perth

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • Freemantle

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Hobart

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Wellington

Votes: 27 16.0%

• Total voters

nqboy

First Grade
In one of the numerous other threads on this topic.

Hobart? Freemantle? Give yourself an uppercut.

rugged

Juniors
Central Coast, but only if it is a relocation of a Sydney team.

We don't need any more team numbers.

miccle

Bench
Well said Rugged.

Next different team should be a relocation to Central Coast, before both Adelaide and Perth are in the comp, around 2010-2012.

Kiwi

First Grade
We don't need more teams, yeah lets go back to the days when we had 20 odd teams and EVERY week atleast 1 team, mostly 2, and sometimes 3 teams a week were getting flogged by 50 points because the talent isn't there to support so many teams.

Relocate a sydney team, move the sharks or the roosters

aids

Bench
2 new teams, Adelaide and Perth
bunnies will likey be forced to relocate to gosford

Saint Doc

Coach
Adelaide next for mine.

Perth have gone down the Yawnion track, better off trying to capture a new market than competing with teh Force (not that they are much competition at the moment!).

Dragonwest

Juniors
Living in Perth obviously im bias in my vote. In saying that i strongly believe that the Force is a positive towards bringing league back as it has shifted the media away from pure AFL, their comp is over within the first 8 weeks or so of the NRL and im sure the crowds will only flow over for both games.

bartman

Immortal
Let's just see how the Gold Coast Titans experiment goes over its first year or two, shall we, before we get too carried away. Remember didn't only one club manage to turn a profit last season?

Central Coast should be next cab off the rank - everything is already there, and in the absence of any other local team the young people have really taken to soccer there this year. Would be perfect set up for a relocation of a Sydney club *looks at Cronulla or Souths*, and if it is a true re-location I believe people up there would get behind it.

If you're talking "new" teams rather than re-location, then I can't split Adelaide and Perth - why not aim to expand and include them both in 2010-11? Save Wellington for later, or for another relocation...

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Darwin, League is pretty popular there and there is no team based in the Northern Terrirtory.

But realistically we can't afford anymore teams until about 2010 or further, unless we want broke clubs and substandard players being rushed into 1st grade.

Sharkie™

Juniors
Perth, we need a league team to battle the struggling force. if we can get a successful team in perth and the force continue to struggle, we will get the crowds...

Woods99

Juniors
ShArKsMaN said:
Perth, we need a league team to battle the struggling force. if we can get a successful team in perth and the force continue to struggle, we will get the crowds...

Who will pay for the next franchise? According to David Gallup, the poker machine tax will have a serious effect on franchises who rely on poker machine subsidies, which is all of them except the three owned by News, and the Warriors - who cannot draw more than 8,000 apparently, and whose financial viability must be in serious doubt.

Who will pay for the franchise in Perth? Huge establishment costs, and an uncertain revenue stream. I doubt that News Corp will be in for another loss-leader.

There will have to be at least one, maybe two relocations from the Sydney metro. One to the Central Coast. In a rational world, the other would be to Brisbane. If the second biggest rugby league city in the world cannot support two NRL franchises, there is something seriously wrong with the game.

The Force are struggling on the field, but not in following, sponsorships, or finances. They will do okay, they have a lot of people behind them, including the ARU, who will not allow them to fail. Don't forget that the Swans lost 26 games straight at one stage during their establishment period.

jamesgould

Juniors
I think Wellington and Perth. New Zealand needs a second side, at the moment the crapness of the Warriors must make it very tempting for the media to turn a blind eye to league, luckily it hasn't happened yet though. If there are two NZ sides then league will get so much stronger here. I've been saying this for years ...

Plus, I might add, look at where the majority of unrepresented players come from in the NRL. Are there heaps from Central Coast or Perth that would love to be playing for their own home side? No! Are there huge amounts of New Zealanders? Yes.

Whats Doing

Bench
The number of teams in the competition should be no more than 16 but the game also needs to expand. I would have the following: Nth QLD, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Warriors, Newcastle, Manly, Wests Tigers, Parramatta, Penrith, Canterbury, Roosters, Saints, Storm, Central Coast, Perth and Canberra.

How does the Central Coast Rabbitohs and the Perth Sharks sound.

Latest posts