What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to from here ?

_Johnsy

Referee
The title says it all.

A hugely dissapointing year. I am hopefull the pain of missing the 8 will be enough to give the boys a huige kick up the ass. I can see a few things that must be done.

1. Gaz must be moved to centre, and we must persist with chase/soward combo. Given time I think that combo can turn into something quite special.
2. Brown must go, as much as I love the guy, he is not the man to take us to premiership success.
3. Scott must be starting, and Stanley must be a backrower/bench. IMO Scott/Stanley/Creagh is a great base for our back 3 forwards.

Feel free to yell me down, abuse me (just don't call me a genius) or add your two cents worth.

big pat

Coach
_Johnsy said:
The title says it all.

A hugely dissapointing year. I am hopefull the pain of missing the 8 will be enough to give the boys a huige kick up the ass. I can see a few things that must be done.

1. Gaz must be moved to centrte, and we must persist with chase/soward combo. Given time I think that combo can turn into something quite special.
2. Brown must go, as much as I love the guy, he is not the man to take us to premiership success.
3. Scott must be starting, and Stanley must be a backrower/bench. IMO Scott/Stanley/Creagh is a great base for our back 3 forwards.

Feel free to yell me down, abuse me (just don't call me a genius) or add your two cents worth.
totally have to agree johnsy, we need a coach who can make tough decisions, browny is just too nice a guy.

petetheileet

First Grade
i agree with the first two things....

what happens to Dean Young???

i think he has to be 11 or 12

Scott is a starter

Stanley perhaps on the bench

I was very happy with what i saw from ellis, i dont think Woolford is Gelling with our new attacking styles of play and would rather see Ellis in the 9

Also im convinced JMoz is not a Winger.... he cant defend there, his attack is limited and he isnt good under the high ball under attack from other jumpers

Where does he play???

Nightingale is great and i think needs to be in the side

Does anyone think Hornby could possibly play at the 9???

For once we might have too many players...i kno we will get injuries

What do you guys think of:

1. J Moz
2. B Moz
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Chase
7. Soward
8. Poore
9. Hornby
10. Ryles
11. Young
12. Scott
13. Creagh

14. Hunt
15. Thorby
16. Stanley
17. Ellis
18. Setu

or Perhaps

1. Hornby
2. B Moz
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Chase
7. Soward
8. Poore
9. Young
10. Ryles
11. Stanley
12. Scott
13. Creagh

Can We afford to have one front rower on the bench since Creagh pretty much goes into that role after 20 mins anyway???

14. Hunt/ Thorby
15. Setu
16. Ellis
17. J Moz (Bowen like impact for Qld off the bench)

Crikey thats a big risk team and yes i am aware we pretty much have 5 capable Centers in the team however whats the harm in experimenting

Our Forwards would be taking on a massive task however Creagh can play front row Poore is durable, Young can play 70 mins and so can our 2nd Rowers

Talk about a Dutch Soccer side take a look at that boys...the team of the future!

Hutty1986

Immortal
petetheileet said:
i agree with the first two things....

what happens to Dean Young???

i think he has to be 11 or 12

Scott is a starter

Stanley perhaps on the bench

I was very happy with what i saw from ellis, i dont think Woolford is Gelling with our new attacking styles of play and would rather see Ellis in the 9

Also im convinced JMoz is not a Winger.... he cant defend there, his attack is limited and he isnt good under the high ball under attack from other jumpers

Where does he play???

Nightingale is great and i think needs to be in the side

Does anyone think Hornby could possibly play at the 9???

For once we might have too many players...i kno we will get injuries

What do you guys think of:

1. J Moz
2. B Moz
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Chase
7. Soward
8. Poore
9. Hornby
10. Ryles
11. Young
12. Scott
13. Creagh

14. Hunt
15. Thorby
16. Stanley
17. Ellis
18. Setu

or Perhaps

1. Hornby
2. B Moz
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Chase
7. Soward
8. Poore
9. Young
10. Ryles
11. Stanley
12. Scott
13. Creagh

Can We afford to have one front rower on the bench since Creagh pretty much goes into that role after 20 mins anyway???

14. Hunt/ Thorby
15. Setu
16. Ellis
17. J Moz (Bowen like impact for Qld off the bench)

Crikey thats a big risk team and yes i am aware we pretty much have 5 capable Centers in the team however whats the harm in experimenting

Our Forwards would be taking on a massive task however Creagh can play front row Poore is durable, Young can play 70 mins and so can our 2nd Rowers

Talk about a Dutch Soccer side take a look at that boys...the team of the future!

That is a gun side

dragonfire

Bench
petetheileet said:
1. J Moz
2. B Moz
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Soward
7. Hornby
8. Poore
9. Chase
10. Ryles
11. Young
12. Scott
13. Creagh

14. Hunt
16. Stanley
17. Ellis
18. Setu

That team works, I would like to see both Soward and Chase spend time from dummy half at times towards the back end of each half. I'm actually leaning towards agreeing that Josh Morris is either fullback or not in the team if Brett is fit, its the only real conflict between positioning i can find

Southernsaint

Staff member
Unless the mental approach to the game improves Saints won't get close to winning the comp.

It's annoying how the club seems to only try to "solve" one problem at a time, or only even attempts to make changes when reacting to noise from the supporters or media...

Until this changes we're "here" and ain't going anywhere...

bornadragon

Juniors

1. Gaz must be moved to centre, and we must persist with chase/soward combo. Given time I think that combo can turn into something quite special.

All of the above.

But ! ! !

Browny will be here for another year BECAUSE the Saint George need and want to save face. They've made their bed and they lie in it with Brown so they won't sack him.

There lays OUR BIG PROBLEM.

I Believe they would sooner stuff up another season (saving face) then move forward and battle for a premiership.

Their (management) track record over the last "30 Years" is a catalogue of one mistake after another. To me it's the SHAME of the NRL.

The board seem to me to be SPINELESS and have not acted in the best and only interest of SAINT GEORGE. It appears to me that they're only interested in staying in their chair hoping that we'll jag a comp doing it their way - NOT the SAINT GEORGE WAY.

(Deep breath boy)

_Johnsy

Referee
I actually think it is worth persisting with both Moz's on the wings. Brilliant attack, defence is something they can learn, their attacking ability is 100% natural.

I had never thought of Hornbag at hooker, interesting to say the least.....................

Worth considering, no doubting that.

The Preacher

First Grade
petetheileet said:
he doesn't venture to much down to the sidelines these days does he???

Every game at Win he's down on the bench. Too many entrances to the field for them to police to try and keep him on the fizz in the corporate area up in the Northern Stand.
As soon as he saw Piggy jump the fence with the try celebration, it's been impossible to keep him off the paddock. :alcho:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
1. Hornby
2. Morris/Nightingale
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Chase
7. Soward
8. Poore
9. Ellis
10. Ryles
11. Scott
12. Creagh
13. Young

14. Stanley
15. Hunt
16. Setu
17. Thorby

Stanley off the bench covers a backline injury, and I imagine Stanley will play more of a Scott role, and with good effect too.

I sadly can't see that team playing more than a few games together, in those positions. If I get to see it once next year, I'll be happy.

SilverSteeler

Juniors
1. Hornby
2. Morris/Nightingale
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Chase
7. Soward
8. Poore
9. Ellis
10. Ryles
11. Scott
12. Creagh
13. Young

14. Stanley
15. Hunt
16. Setu
17. Thorby

Stanley off the bench covers a backline injury, and I imagine Stanley will play more of a Scott role, and with good effect too.

I sadly can't see that team playing more than a few games together, in those positions. If I get to see it once next year, I'll be happy.

That would be my pick aswell.
Stanley would be good off the bench, a so called impact player and gap filler.
Young and Rangi can cover dummy half when Ellis comes off the filed.

I'm looking forward to Thorby getting more game time next year and I think he should play in the last 3 games of this season.

Hutty1986

Immortal
petetheileet said:
what do you think of the bench Hutty? could it work?

I think so. Having only the one front row option coming off the bench may put a bit more pressure on these young forwards but I see no problem anyway (They need to harden the f*ck up)

It may be a risk sure, but just have a look at that backline. If we can gain any sort of ascendency up front, these players have a hell of a lot of points in them.

I especially like Cooper and Nightingale out on the left-Cooper is there to guide Florence defensively. There's also the fact Nightingale is a fantastic finisher and the quality service Coops can provide will ensure he has plenty of tries next season as their combination matures.

Scott is a great buy and as well as players like Ryles and Creagh eating up the metres, I feel very very optimistic about next year.

With a bit more mental resolve and the right tactics (something Brown hasfailed to provide), that side deadset has premiership written all over it

dragonfire

Bench
Hutty1986 said:
I think so. Having only the one front row option coming off the bench may put a bit more pressure on these young forwards but I see no problem anyway (They need to harden the f*ck up)

It may be a risk sure, but just have a look at that backline. If we can gain any sort of ascendency up front, these players have a hell of a lot of points in them.

I especially like Cooper and Nightingale out on the left-Cooper is there to guide Florence defensively. There's also the fact Nightingale is a fantastic finisher and the quality service Coops can provide will ensure he has plenty of tries next season as their combination matures.

Scott is a great buy and as well as players like Ryles and Creagh eating up the metres, I feel very very optimistic about next year.

With a bit more mental resolve and the right tactics (something Brown hasfailed to provide), that side deadset has premiership written all over it

all that needs to happen to make the one front rower on the bench work is a good rotation system and trying to attack teams on the fringes more often. I remember when we used to be perhaps the best team at utilising te short side in attack. Backline definitely looks good, with better service (Chase 4 5/8th) I can see Nightingale getting lots of tries of the back of Coopers work, same can be said for Morris when they wake up and put Gasnier back at 3.

Latest posts