What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will SBW rank among the game's best ever second rowers?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Whether his overall skill level is higher or not, I'm still taking Clyde over SBW every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

GONZO72

Juniors
As a bias Raider supporter, why aren't I suprised.

Clyde was a great backrower, but he had only 3-4 great years, between 1991-1994. By the time he was 28 he was washed up, and the salary cap cheats, the raiders moved him on to, another salary cap cheat.

Still, those years on top were special

Raider_69

Post Whore

Clyde was a great backrower, but he had only 3-4 great years, between 1991-1994. By the time he was 28 he was washed up, and the salary cap cheats, the raiders moved him on to, another salary cap cheat.

Still, those years on top were special

You must have been sleeping in 88-90 where by he was an absolute star.
You can take SBW the freakishly skillful athlete and ill keep Clyde and take his pure footballing brilliance

gUt

Coach
Tallis pre-injury? Don't think so.

SBW? If he'd stayed and proved himself in the toughest comp on the planet then he'd probably already be the best ever. As it stands we'll never know because he took the softest of soft options and went to bludge in that other code.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Wouldn't rate among the greats for 3-4 seasons of play

Won't rate anywhere near where Boyd Cordner will by the time he is finished

Last edited:

dogslife

Coach
Tallis pre-injury? Don't think so.

SBW? If he'd stayed and proved himself in the toughest comp on the planet then he'd probably already be the best ever. As it stands we'll never know because he took the softest of soft options and went to bludge in that other code.
Matter of opinion really. I'd rate Clyde better than both of them

Loudstrat

Coach

Clyde was a great backrower, but he had only 3-4 great years,
As opposed to SBW's how many? I count 5.

Give him a few more seasons and he might be fit to lace up the boots of Price and Hindy. No player deserves to be compared to the likes of Raper, Coote and Price after only 90 first grade games.

dogslife

Coach
As opposed to SBW's how many? I count 5.

Give him a few more seasons and he might be fit to lace up the boots of Price and Hindy. No player deserves to be compared to the likes of Raper, Coote and Price after only 90 first grade games.
He's got no idea who you're talking about

GONZO72

Juniors
You can take SBW the freakishly skillful athlete and ill keep Clyde and take his pure footballing brilliance

Raider 69, Clyde was at his best between 91-94. He was injury free, and at the peak of his powers. He missed a lot of footy between 88-90. He was good, but got better.

SBW has more skill, power and can turn a match more so than Clyde.

Murf

Juniors
Since I have been watching the game, I would rate Kennedy, Clyde, Hindmarsh, Menzies, Ricketson and Tallis above him. Probably a few others that I cant really think of off the top of my head.

Current players like Gallen, Watmough, Lewis and Thaiday also rank ahead of him.

I will admit that he has the potential to be better than all of them though.

Tommy Smith

Referee
C'mon 69, you don't think SBW is a footballer?

Nobody has married freakish natural athleticism with pure footballing talent (a born footy brain) as well as SBW has.

The only one on his level in history in that sense is GI. Both amazing athletes who, first and foremost, have brilliant footy minds as well.

GONZO72

Juniors
You could say the same about Tallis and Bill Williams

The only people on the planet that would say that SBW was overrated, are jealous and frustrated bulldog supporters, who still pine for him to be at their toxic club.

He left in 2008, because he could stand no more. A bit like Barba, you might say.

GONZO72

Juniors
Since I have been watching the game, I would rate Kennedy, Clyde, Hindmarsh, Menzies, Ricketson and Tallis above him. Probably a few others that I cant really think of off the top of my head.

Current players like Gallen, Watmough, Lewis and Thaiday also rank ahead of him.

I will admit that he has the potential to be better than all of them though.

Murf, are you trolling ?

I hope you are .

Because this post is a sad joke. I don't want to be too harsh , in case I am dealing with a 13 year old.

What I will say is......you are a deadset goose.

Murf

Juniors
Ricketson? I'm a Roosters fan and he's a club legend but that's just hilarious.

Look maybe a bit of an overstatement, but Ricketson was a part of that awesome NSW second row rotation that included Hindmarsh, BK, Fitzgibbon, Ryan, Fletcher, Timmins etc. Great time to be a NSW fan at the start of the century.

mongoose

Coach
If he stayed in the game, he would be talked about as a future immortal with the likes of Smith, Lockyer and Inglis. But he will only be in NRL for 5 seasons in total, not enough.