What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will SBW rank among the game's best ever second rowers?

Brutus

Referee
Listening to Brian Canavan yesterday, the Roosters do not sound confident of keeping Sonny Balls beyond this year.

I have researched my files and discovered a list of the 12 best backrowers of the last 50 years. They are:

John Raper
Dick Huddart
Ron Coote
Bob McCarthy
Malcolm Reilly
Ray Price
Noel Cleal
Bradley Clyde
Steve Menzies
Sam Burgess
Sonny Bill Williams
Boyd Cordner

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
SBW will never have the legacy of players like Clyde, Menzies, Price, etc but what he does have them covered for is ability. Size of a prop, skills of a 5/8th and athleticism of a centre.

Despite not being the size of a prop, Menzies played both centre and 5/8th so that argument is not all that valid.

TheDalek079

Bench
some interesting thoughts. I would have to agree with those saying he's just as talented as the best like Chook and Coote but leaving the game for five years has deprived him of earning the same honours and accomplishments as them

aqua_duck

Coach
Despite not being the size of a prop, Menzies played both centre and 5/8th so that argument is not all that valid.

Menzies might have played 5/8th but so did Chris Lawrence, he was only ever a make shift 5/8th at best and his ball playing ability isn't even 1/10th of SBW's, SBW has a better passing game than the majority of 5/8ths running around today

Valheru

Coach
I'm sure fans of most clubs could list a few players from their own club they'd take over SBW. At Manly I'd have Menzies, Kosef, Kennedy, Stewart and Watmough over SBW. Gartner and Roberts would be up there as well.

Please... Menzies maybe, but the others don?t get a look in. SBW is far from the moral compass he believes he is but his ability cannot be questioned. His attack is way better then the names mentioned and his defence as good if not better.

If people want to be fair dinkum they will rate him in the top 10 back rowers of all time easily.

Lambretta

First Grade
Whether his overall skill level is higher or not, I'm still taking Clyde over SBW every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Reeeoowww, careful Tiger - this is a Rugby League forum not a fetish fantasy forum

:p

I suppose it depends how you want to measure "best" (no, it's not in inches Gonzo so you can calm down as well)

On pure ability, SBW is right up there - but to be considered the best you've got to produce the goods over a period of time and a season here and a season there isn't going to do it.

A decade of brilliance? That gets you into the serious contenders club imo. Sonny will have spent too long in Union to get his membership in the Rugby League best ever rankings.

GONZO72

Juniors

Please... Menzies maybe, but the others don?t get a look in. SBW is far from the moral compass he believes he is but his ability cannot be questioned. His attack is way better then the names mentioned and his defence as good if not better.

If people want to be fair dinkum they will rate him in the top 10 back rowers of all time easily.

Valheru

You have to understand, the people that are critical of SBW, are mainly annoyed and frustrated Bulldog supporters, who haven't come to terms with him walking out of the toxic environment at the club.
In 5 years time, when Ben Barba, has played for his state and country, the same frustrated fans, will rank him below Rod Silva and Luke Patten.

The others are quite clearly jealous of his talent .

GONZO72

Juniors
I'd expect a childish comment from an A grade moron like you Guzzler.

Why don't you grow up, and try to build a bridge. Still sulking are we, that SBW left your toxic club, and move to greener pastures?

Guzzler, you seriously need help.

Those sort of repulsive comments are for a different forum, a forum I suspect, you are all too familiar with.

Lambretta

First Grade
How do his balls feel bouncing off your chin

I'm sure they're just as soft and hairless as when they were bouncing off yours. Don't worry when he comes back to Belmore for his retirement cheque you'll have your chance again.

Packy

Bench
He will end up well and truely in the pile labelled "Could have/Should have been"

gUt

Coach
So is Burgess but gronks seem to want to list him as one of the best back rowers of all time.

Fat Krion

Juniors
Reeeoowww, careful Tiger - this is a Rugby League forum not a fetish fantasy forum

:p

I suppose it depends how you want to measure "best" (no, it's not in inches Gonzo so you can calm down as well)

On pure ability, SBW is right up there - but to be considered the best you've got to produce the goods over a period of time and a season here and a season there isn't going to do it.

A decade of brilliance? That gets you into the serious contenders club imo. Sonny will have spent too long in Union to get his membership in the Rugby League best ever rankings.

Don't think longevity has anything to do with ability, best backrowers of the modern era IMO

SBW
Brad Clyde
Steve Menzies
Ben Kennedy
Craig Fitzgibbon

All are very different but I believe they are the best in the last 20 years

Fat Krion

Juniors
I have researched my files and discovered a list of the 12 best backrowers of the last 50 years. They are:

John Raper
Dick Huddart
Ron Coote
Bob McCarthy
Malcolm Reilly
Ray Price
Noel Cleal
Bradley Clyde
Steve Menzies
Sam Burgess
Sonny Bill Williams
Boyd Cordner

Although Raper is an immortal. Reily, McCarthy , Price and Cooten are considered greats , they can't be compared to the modern back rowers.

SBW would be fitter, stronger and faster than any of the aforementioned greats.

SBW and the rest of the modern back rowers are probably at least 25 kg heavier.

Comparing the players from the past with modern players is like comparing classic cars with modern ones expecting them to perform better because they were the best of their time.

GONZO72

Juniors
I'm sure they're just as soft and hairless as when they were bouncing off yours. Don't worry when he comes back to Belmore for his retirement cheque you'll have your chance again.

Scoreline
LAMBRETTA 6-0 6-0 6-0,

Guzzler, smashed twice....loser

GONZO72

Juniors
Although Raper is an immortal. Reily, McCarthy , Price and Cooten are considered greats , they can't be compared to the modern back rowers.

SBW would be fitter, stronger and faster than any of the aforementioned greats.

SBW and the rest of the modern back rowers are probably at least 25 kg heavier.

Comparing the players from the past with modern players is like comparing classic cars with modern ones expecting them to perform better because they were the best of their time.

Agree with that, but Fat, we've had people compare SBW to Ricketson, Kosef, Hindmarsh, etc.

Loudstrat, told us all about the deeds of Ray Price.....mercy.

He was better, because he could catch high balls, and create tries.

Price played at 85kg, tackled himself silly, and IMO was a damn fine backrower.

His record is superior to SBW, but I am not talking about records, I'm talking about their playing ability.

Barry Richards, the great South African batsmen,one of the most wonderful batters in history. David Boon had a better record, but was not as good a player as Richards.

firechild

First Grade

You don't remember Kosef do you? Steve Menzies played alongside blokes like Lyons, Toovey, Hasler, etc yet named Kosef as the most gifted footballer he played with. If not for the 3 knee reconstructions that cut his career short, he would be mentioned among the greats of the modern era. In fact so great were his ball playing abilities that Bozo Fulton played Kosef at 5/8th in the 1996 grand final with Cliff Lyons coming off the bench.
Of the 4 I listed, Menzies and Kosef would be comfortably in front of SBW, the other 2 would be arguable.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

John Raper
Dick Huddart
Ron Coote
Bob McCarthy
Malcolm Reilly
Ray Price
Noel Cleal
Bradley Clyde
Steve Menzies
Sam Burgess
Sonny Bill Williams
Boyd Cordner
hahaha

thats funny.

Cordner, Burgess and Williams are not even in the same league as the others mentioned.

And are not better than the likes of Greg Pierce, Paul Sironen, Dick Thornett, Gary Stevens, Les Boyd and many others.

isaiah

Bench
somewhere between 85th- 90th all time. lots have been much better than what he has achieved so far. hardly even started playing rep footy.

Latest posts