What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will SBW rank among the game's best ever second rowers?

Tommy Smith

Referee
lol the fail continues.

SBW had a very good game. Brutal in defence, plenty of hit ups for metres and some excellent off-loads.

And yet apparently he was dominated!

Sam Burgess was no doubt the best player on the field. One of the best games I've ever seen the big fella play. James Graham was also amazing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
After watching him closely last night the only thing that makes him stand out from the majority of good second rowers is his desire to offload the ball at every opportunity. It is rare to see in the modern game where safety first, field position and kicks to the corner have become the norm. and he seems to be working on the theory that if you throw enough passes one will come good eventually. TBh most off his offloads last night just put his team mates under pressure but a couple worked and created breaks. No doubt a talent but Burgess showed the difference between the two styles I thought with equal toughness but far better go forward for his team.

Loudstrat

Coach
You are on the money PR. SBW had a good game - like he usually does. Up there with the best ever? Absolutely f*cking laughable. Hindy produced about 200 games like that.

Compare last night to the young bloke in the Centenary Test who totally tore it up in a losing side.........no comparison.
If 136m, 38 tackles and 6 offloads is getting dominated god I wish the entire knights forward pack would get dominated every single match next year
136m, 38 tackles and 6 offloads is no proof of being the best of all time either!!!!!!!!

But he makes 50 tackles a game (39 of them being 3rd man in)
You forget Hindy doing 3 try saving tackles on 3 Pommy outside backs within 3 seconds. The only impact SBW had on the result last night was getting his face smashed in the last minute.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Dude....

It.

Was.

One.

f**king.

Game.

Who be judging anyone on one f**king game!

You're totally off in outer space.

Hindy was a good player but as much as I like the bloke he is nothing on SBW. Sonny is a freak, the best player in the game IMO and one of the best ever. Hindy was a good workhorse with just that little bit extra skill that set him apart from the rest and his ability to keep pace with someone regardless of who he was chasing but SBW is just a complete player, basically the only skill he lacks is a kicking game, his passing, running, offloading and defensive skills are all top notch and for a big man he's very quick and agile.

Loudstrat

Coach
Its interesting that when asserting that SBW is the best forward ever - you all compare him to Hindy. I guess he's the benchmark in your eyes?

I wouldnt have thought so. I'd put him up against any backrower this millennium - his individual awards back me up. SBW has played around 220 first class games in 10 seasons - including the softer Union stints. Hindy did 376 first class games in 15 seasons - averaging 3 more per year. Hindy's average tackle count was 50. Hindy also had a great offload, speed and always took 3 defenders to tackle him. Hindy debuted a year younger too.

But that's just Hindy - the best backrower IMHO of his time bar probably the first 3 years when the likes of Tallis, Kennedy and Menzies were in their prime. Hindy isnt even our best ever backrower, but he is second behind Ray Price. And Price is our only backrower who can join the likes of Coote, Raper, Burge, Provan, Treweek et al in that company.

No one has ever only had one season where they could be compared against the best ever, except those who played in the comp before WW1, and Harold Horder.

Ben Barba had a bigger impact upon the comp last year than SBW has this year.

To claim SBW is the best ever is even more f*cking laughable than the old Luke Covell worshippers. Next some group of knuckledraggers will form a f*cking William Zillman worship cult and claim he was better than Langlands.

Last edited:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Hindmarsh was a solid player that put in a great effort, pretty well every week. He was the heart and soul of Parra, a solid toiler that every team would love to have but not a superstar and certainly not a game breaker. Unfortunately he did not possess the 'X-Factor' that SBW or even Hayne and many others possess. Certainly a great one clubman and representative of NSW and Australia.
To claim anything else is just nonsense and taking the piss on Nathan Hindmarsh.

Moony

Juniors
don't like him as a person and what he done to the bulldogs but I rate him as an athlete and in the game of rugby league

English Rose

Juniors
Like them or hate them we saw 2 of the best forwards go head to head yesterday and it was a joy to watch. Nobody can deny by the time they are both finished that SBW and Sam Burgess will go down as 2 of the best forwards in history!

Loudstrat

Coach

Loudstrat

Coach
The Unzud Hurald?

And was he the only player they couldnt do without? Is that because the likes of Whare, Johnson, Kasiano, Luke, Foran, and RTS were all f*cking useless?

Williams played a strong solid game, just like everybody else. His biggest impact on the game was getting his f*cking head smashed by George Burgess. One of his 6 offloads put RTS under immense pressure late in the game - and resulted in a Pommy ball. That's a Mateo mistake.

It seems that if Williams turns up, thats enough to make everyone worship. I feel sorry especially for Mannering, who has busted his quit for his country so many times when SBW couldnt be bothered.

Oh well, its Gallen on Sunday. :)

TheDalek079

Bench
SBW is one of three players nominated for best player in the world
SBW wins best second rower in the world.

Not a bad achievement for someone who returns to a game after a five year absence.