What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Newcastle Knights finish in 2019?

Where will the Newcastle Knights finish in 2019?

• Total voters

perverse

Referee
Too many variables to call it imo. We're an unknown quantity. Could be anywhere from 4th to 12th and it wouldn't surprise me.

Spot On

Coach
Should be top 8.

Our home record really needs to improve out of sight. Otherwise, it will be a massive fail.

Burwood

Bench
I’d be a lot more confident if our spine got the opportunity to play together for more than 34 minutes last season.

Spot On

Coach
Plenty of rumours around about one of our high profile players partying big time again.

Was in the papers not too long ago.

PhilGould

Bench
Pearce and his partner split up recently so he's probably not in the best place. Hasn't done anything to be overly concerned about at this stage.

First Grade

What’s the Buzz: Phil Rothfield’s sporting predictions for 2019
DECEMBER 29, 2018

It has been a huge sporting year and there is plenty more action to come in 2019. Phil Rothfield forsees an NRL shake-up, Swans strife and an unforgettable farewell:

Dragons to go all the way
So, you think we’ve gone mad. Or it’s a typographical error.

That the silly season has left your columnist punch drunk. None of the above.

I genuinely believe St George Illawarra can win the premiership.

No choke.

You look at the manner in which they demolished the Broncos in the first week of the finals at Suncorp Stadium.

You consider their performance against the Rabbitohs the following week. I have no doubts they would have won and gone on to the grand final qualifier if Gareth Widdop and Tariq Sims had stayed on the field. They were also missing Paul Vaughan.

The premiership’s most maligned player, Ben Hunt, had a much better year than the critics suggested. Their roster, across the park, is as strong as anyone’s. And their coach, Paul McGregor, is the most underrated in the competition.

Phil Rothfield says the Dragons can go all the way. Picture: Brett Costello
Storm’s grey clouds
Outside of the 2010 salary cap scandal, Melbourne Storm haven’t missed the finals since 2002. We’re tipping next year they might struggle. Losing both the almost irreplaceable Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater in the last two seasons will leave them short on quality and class. Cameron Smith is one year older and can’t be expected to carry the team on his own.

Good Knights ahead
The Knights and the Cowboys will be the biggest improvers. Newcastle have picked up Dave Klemmer, Tim Glasby and Jesse Ramien. Coach Nathan Brown will be gone by round 10 if they are not in a position to be challenging for the finals. North Queensland, the biggest disappointments of 2018, have added Ben Barba and Josh McGuire. They should have the talent to make the finals.

Grow up and behave
We can only hope the behaviour of players at two particular NRL clubs improves in 2019.

One big name player at an out-of-town club — not all that far north of Sydney — was almost arrested on Boxing Day over an incident with a taxi driver.

Prior to Christmas another few players from a Sydney club behaved like imbeciles at a local watering hole. They thought it was funny to turn on the fire hose and spray each other.

At least one senior player showed some leadership and ordered them off the premises.

This club has had enough drama in recent times without having to deal with yet another off-field issue. And it was certainly the last thing the NRL needed after an off-season of full-on scandal.

Gallen tells all
Paul Gallen’s book promises to be a ripper. Picture: AAP
Colleague Dave Riccio is ghost-writing the memoir of Cronulla Sharks warhorse Paul Gallen to coincide with his retirement at the end of the season. It will be one of the hottest sporting books ever published. Gal will open up on every issue from the peptides scandal to the premiership. They have been working on the book for two years since the Sharks legend held the trophy aloft at ANZ Stadium in 2016.

An NRL revolution
Racing NSW boss Peter V’landys will become Australia’s most powerful sporting administrator when he replaces Peter Beattie as chairman of the independent commission. Beattie has always said he was taking the job on only short term.

He has actually done a great job to boost the commission with the appointments of V’landys, Mark Coyne and Amanda Laing. He has also driven the revival of international football.

Plus he stepped in to take a stand on violence against women when Todd Greenberg remained silent.

How the senior NRL executive reacts to the V’landys appointment will be interesting. He is a tough administrator who demands excellence.

Knight Vision

First Grade
McGregor ‘the most underrated coach in the comp’ ?

The years of alcoholism have reduced Buzz’ brain to mush.
yeh I had a right chuckle over that one.

On the subject of Pearce though - As an outsider looking in I thought Guerra should of been Captain. Peacre hasnt got the character of a leader for mine. He may be doing the right things on the training paddock and at the game but ....A leader is much much more than that, he just doesnt have the runs on the board to be Captain. Too many off field problems for mine. Captain should be a man of impeccable character and who the young guys should aspire to be like. Cant say that about Pearce. Part of the leadership group ? perhaps. Captain ? no way.

yeh I had a right chuckle over that one.

On the subject of Pearce though - As an outsider looking in I thought Guerra should of been Captain. Peacre hasnt got the character of a leader for mine. He may be doing the right things on the training paddock and at the game but ....A leader is much much more than that, he just doesnt have the runs on the board to be Captain. Too many off field problems for mine. Captain should be a man of impeccable character and who the young guys should aspire to be like. Cant say that about Pearce. Part of the leadership group ? perhaps. Captain ? no way.
I'd agree he needs to watch his off field behaviour.
Guerra should be the senior players group leader. That senior group and the club needs to make sure all players pull their heads in.
With Pearce Captain on field it allows him to take control more which is what I think we need.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'd agree he needs to watch his off field behaviour.
Guerra should be the senior players group leader. That senior group and the club needs to make sure all players pull their heads in.
With Pearce Captain on field it allows him to take control more which is what I think we need.
yeh perhaps you're right from a playing standpoint. Pearce just doesn't seem to get it though. I did raise an eyebrow when I saw recently photos of him " training " with Todd Carney. The last person on earth he should be associating the Pearce brand with. The old saying birds of a feather does come to mind. I can only imagine the meaningful conversations he must have with Todd "the Bubbler" Carney. Lets hope he doesnt fall off the rails and gets his shit together.

mozza91

Coach
Obviously he hasn’t done anything that bad otherwise the cretins in the media would be splashing it over the front and back page. The club would have acted too if there was anything in it.

Joel-22

Juniors
It's been interesting reading the predicted round 1 line-ups that NRL.COM have been posting. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in how much better our side is looking and overlooking the strength of other club's rosters.

So far of the sides they have posted I have us ahead of;

Penrith, Tigers, Canberra, Dogs, Cowboys, Cronulla, Titans

The Roosters are in a league of their own.

Of the sides we're ahead of, Penrith, Cronulla, Tigers, Cowboys (if they play to their potential) are sides that can trouble us.

Dogs and Titans we have easily covered.

Latest posts