What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Penrith Panthers finish in 2019?

Where will the Penrith Panthers finish in 2019?

• Total voters

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Plenty do but what is the Average FG career? 35 games?

According to NRL.com "Rugby League player’s career spans 43 games over three to four years".

Other interesting information I found over on the Kennel. Rainman quoting information from ABC radio.

Since 1959 :-

36 per cent of players have played fewer than 10 first-grade games.

56.8 per cent played less than 30 top-grade games.

A staggering 82.2 per cent played less than 100.

The average career spans only 49 first-grade games and 4.2 years.

Out of every single player who has spent most of their youth pursuing a dream, those that actually go on to making a proper living out of the game is minimal.

Please also consider these stats :-

* Players out of the game after a year (depending on injuries, suspensions etc): 65 per cent.

* Out of the game after two years: 75 per cent.

* Out of the game after five years: 88 per cent.

These stats are a couple of years old but still make for interesting reading.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
View attachment 25964

I'd swap DWZ & Edwards & Katoa first crack over Egan
Yes, to swapping DWZ no to Katoa getting first crack. I'd actually back Liam Martin to start at lock and shift JFH to prop. That way it keeps a very strong prop rotation in Tamou and Leaota even if Hetherington and Grant don't improve. An agile lock that makes a lot of tackles is vital to Ivan's defensive structures and Liam Martin does that + I'm fan of the way he hits and drives defenders back in defense. I'm very confident that he's a first grade quality player.

Bench lock forward is the hardest for me. Kaide Ellis, Herman Sele and Jack Hetherington to fight it out over who gets to be bench lock I guess. Maybe Shawn Blore gets a call up to the top 30 if sets the lower grades on fire. I think Kaide's best suited for it defensively but he lacks punch when he runs it, hopefully he improves in the offseason. If he doesn't... Maybe with such a strong prop rotation/ Mansauce running like an extra prop, DWZ running like a kamikaze, Kikau and Edwards breaking plenty of tackles we just need someone that tightens up the middle. Regardless he tries hard and due to his big motor is reliable in defense.

Fuminao or Katoa as bench utility, starting the season coming on at second row to give Kikau a break until he gets match fitness/gets much less hot. Then play it by the ear and see how Kikau's fitness is/ see if Egan's tiring mentally from tackling the big boys for 80.

I think Penrith play their best when they're very aggressive physically. A 4 forward bench would mean they'd be able to defend aggressively more. It'd also mean it'd be harder for the opposition to find a tired forward to exploit when they have the ball. And it'll take longer for the forwards to tire if the team stuffs up and they don't get much possession. Of course all this would hinge of Egan putting an extremely hard preseason considering Katoa is to big to comfortably play 80. It'll be hard for him to put on muscle and gain stamina. The good thing is is he's a hooker who's best attribute is his brain like Smith and Farah so gaining muscle and losing speed doesn't matter much for his style.

It's taking a big gamble on him and Martin but from my perspective it's the best option out of the players currently available.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I rate Liam Martin but thinking even back to Warriors days. I can't remember Ivan blooding too many guys by choice. Also given discipline is high on his wants. I think Sele gets the bench spot over Hetherington. Make Hetherington earn his place

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
I rate Liam Martin but thinking even back to Warriors days. I can't remember Ivan blooding too many guys by choice. Also given discipline is high on his wants. I think Sele gets the bench spot over Hetherington. Make Hetherington earn his place
Sele rushes up to put on shots and misses a lot, kinda like RCG. He'd have to change his game to play the style Ivan looks for in a lock forward or Ivan will have to change his game plan. If Ivan wants someone to tighten up the middle and doesn't wanna take a gamble on a rookie or someone changing their style he should start Yeo at lock forward and play Fuimaono at second row. Then have someone consistent but unremarkable like Kaide Ellis off the bench at lock forward.

franklin2323

Immortal
Sele rushes up to put on shots and misses a lot, kinda like RCG. He'd have to change his game to play the style Ivan looks for in a lock forward or Ivan will have to change his game plan. If Ivan wants someone to tighten up the middle and doesn't wanna take a gamble on a rookie or someone changing their style he should start Yeo at lock forward and play Fuimaono at second row. Then have someone consistent but unremarkable like Kaide Ellis off the bench at lock forward.

There is no one in our squad that fits Ivan's forward type though. Someone like Sele you can change how they play. RCG not so much

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
That's why hook was hired

mxlegend99

Referee
That's why hook was hired
Considering the difference in resources and focus on juniors when Ivan was here. He still had some pretty good players debut under him and more who he helped bring to the club. I think the only true advantage debut wise isto Nathan... who he really couldnt have debuted without looking biased.

He debuted or brbrought he following:

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2. Josh Mansour
3. Waqa Blake
4. Dean Whare*
5. Robert Jennings
6. Matt Moylan
7. Jamie Soward*
8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
9. Peter Wallace*
10. Leilani Latu
11. Bryce Cartwright
12. Isaah Yeo
13. Elijah Taylor*

14. Tyrone Peachey*
15. Jeremy Latimore*
16. Sika Manu*
17. Jamal Idris*

Api Korisau*
James Segeyaro*

Etc. The asterick players were guys we signed and Ivan wanted. Ivan also was involved in bringing guys like Kikau and Merrin here but was sacked before ever working with them.

Our recruitment back then was awesome. Signing good players looking to prove something. Not big name players looking for a pay day. Atleast not until Merrin.

Panfa

Juniors
Edwards Mansour blake whare zelezniak maloney cleary fisher harris kikau yeo campbell gillard katoa tamou leota hetherington fuimaono sele

betcats

Referee
Considering the difference in resources and focus on juniors when Ivan was here. He still had some pretty good players debut under him and more who he helped bring to the club. I think the only true advantage debut wise isto Nathan... who he really couldnt have debuted without looking biased.

He debuted or brbrought he following:

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2. Josh Mansour
3. Waqa Blake
4. Dean Whare*
5. Robert Jennings
6. Matt Moylan
7. Jamie Soward*
8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
9. Peter Wallace*
10. Leilani Latu
11. Bryce Cartwright
12. Isaah Yeo
13. Elijah Taylor*

14. Tyrone Peachey*
15. Jeremy Latimore*
16. Sika Manu*
17. Jamal Idris*

Api Korisau*
James Segeyaro*

Etc. The asterick players were guys we signed and Ivan wanted. Ivan also was involved in bringing guys like Kikau and Merrin here but was sacked before ever working with them.

Our recruitment back then was awesome. Signing good players looking to prove something. Not big name players looking for a pay day. Atleast not until Merrin.

Katoa and Leota belong on that list. Ivan debuted more juniors than hook did. Plenty of times he blooded juniors when he had more experienced players available as well. He also set up our junior pathways and played a big hand in developing all of the talent that Hook had to work with when he arrived.

The idea that Ivan was reluctant to debut players seems to stem only from the fact he didn't rush his 18yo son into the side.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Pretty much every player Ivan debuted was brought on by injury. Not always in their normal position either

betcats

Referee
Pretty much every player Ivan debuted was brought on by injury. Not always in their normal position either

Bullshit. You don’t debut that many players of you are reluctant to blood juniors.

Clearys days at the warriors saw a shitload of juniors come through under him same as his time at penrith previously.

franklin2323

Immortal
Bullshit. You don’t debut that many players of you are reluctant to blood juniors.

Clearys days at the warriors saw a shitload of juniors come through under him same as his time at penrith previously.

So Moylan wasn't told he wouldn't be re-signed. Only to get a game when Whare and Wes got injured? Blake started on the wing while Lewis Brown started centre. Will Smith was FB over DWZ and was the halves instead of Moylan.

Ivan loved his top 17 too many it was a fault when the rookies became better then those guys. This year a lot more rookies so will have no choice so I guess we see what happens through the year

betcats

Referee
So Moylan wasn't told he wouldn't be re-signed. Only to get a game when Whare and Wes got injured? Blake started on the wing while Lewis Brown started centre. Will Smith was FB over DWZ and was the halves instead of Moylan.

Ivan loved his top 17 too many it was a fault when the rookies became better then those guys. This year a lot more rookies so will have no choice so I guess we see what happens through the year

Of course some players get a start when others are injured, that has been happening for 100 years at every club that has ever existed! That doesn't mean the only time players debuted was because of injury.

Isaah Yeo debuted round 1 2014 with experienced NRL players playing NSW cup that week in his position. Same for RCG round 1 2015. They are off the top of my head, Im not checking any more but they will be there for sure. We had Yeo, Dallin and Carty as regulars at the same time while they were all teenagers.

Don't forget all the journeymen that debuted under Ivan in 2012/13. Matt Robinson, Ryan Simpkins, Mitch Achurch, there are a lot.

Last edited:

Latest posts