What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheres Your Loyalty?

westie

Bench
I have been reading these posts on and off for probably the past 6 - 12 months and only decided to register today.

Do you expect a new player to 1st Grade to perform straight away (it seems alot of you do). I guarantee if you track the performance of some of our superstars at the moment (including Benji, Ayshford and Co.) they all had ordinary initial games in the NRL. Very rarely will a player or future superstar perform right away. Lay off Lazarus, Lui and the like (you may just eat your words in a couple of years time).

Wheres your loyalty boys.

Didn't read the rest of the thread. Simply, no I don't expect them to perform in FG - which is why I don't want them in FG when there are far better options. Nothing personal.

Benji was clearly a good player from the start. Ayshford will never be a good player.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
:lol::lol:

Ayshford may never be a superstar but he's already better than 90% of your pet players, you double-standard tosspot.

westie

Bench
Like who? Pleaseeeee name them.

The only one I'd prefer is Collis who scored a try off his own bat in his first real chance for the Sharks. Something Ayshford has NEVER done in FG.

Come on love, who else is relevant to this discussion? Why don't you go a step further and add something instead of just wasting peoples' time.

N.C.

Juniors
Westie,

For every mountain of sense you make, we are forced to traverse great rivers of twaddle.

Collis was good in 2006. He'll probably be good again some day, if he can stay fit. He might even be good as a Shark... But his days as a Tiger were numbered well before he inked a deal with another team, because we simply couldn't keep waiting around for him to come good. In attack he was class, but in defense he was all at sea. We can score tries without him. On balance, having Ayshford in the team is better.

There's no room to be sentimental about it.

westie

Bench
I never said he was good. I said he was better than a jersey grabbing Ayshford who offers nil off his own bat. I've watched Collis play one game this year. He created something from little, stepped 3 players and scored. I've never seen Ayshford do this ever. Though I guess I don't watch much 20s these days.

N.C.

Juniors
I never said he was good. I said he was better than a jersey grabbing Ayshford who offers nil off his own bat. I've watched Collis play one game this year. He created something from little, stepped 3 players and scored. I've never seen Ayshford do this ever. Though I guess I don't watch much 20s these days.

Okay - let's be clear about what we're talking about...

I say Collis = good attack, defense became an issue, pity he got injured, never had the chance to get back into form or go on with it for the Tigers.
You say Collis = can score tries off his own bat, is better than Ayshford.

You say Ayshford = doesn't attack, shirt grabber in defense.
I say Ayshford = more confident defender than Collis, and with our current roster we need a defensive 3/4 more than we need a guy who can score tries off his own bat.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think the boys showed some loyalty to Shines today by putting in a performance his 600th game deserved.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Like who? Pleaseeeee name them.

The only one I'd prefer is Collis who scored a try off his own bat in his first real chance for the Sharks. Something Ayshford has NEVER done in FG.

Come on love, who else is relevant to this discussion? Why don't you go a step further and add something instead of just wasting peoples' time.
Your pet players? How about Fitzhenry for starters. How's he gone for us this year?

I don't rate Ayshford that highly, I just find it amusing that you seemingly can't go two posts without bagging the bloke. Especially considering some of the players that you've never bagged, past and present.

macnaz

Staff member
I think Ayshford and Collis are very similar players, only 1 costs half the price.... Also Ayshford made plenty of chances today and there was NO f**king winger outside him.. Some dumb f**k was still infield recovering from his scorching 2 metre run.
With the salary cap we cant have the best players eveywhere and i think Ayshford he doesnt do much wrong and gives fantastic value for money.

Last edited:

Front-Rower

First Grade
My loyalty today was to pay $25 to watch Farah try and play halfback then get kick happy in the first half, Marshall make 150 metres across field (run straight Benji, the one time you did it you made a break), Fitzhenry offer nothing except one good tackle where the roosters make a mistake, watch Mitch Brown super guled to the bench but at least the forwards had a dig.

I think one of the problems we have out there is that there is no leader. Sure we have plenty of gifted and talented players but no one seems to be able to grab the game by the scruf of the neck and direct play. Everything seems to be made up on the fly.

No support play especially when Ellis made that break and was desperate for some one to come with him would of been a certain four pointer.

But you know what, we keep showing up as fans regardless. That is where our loyalty is.

westie

Bench
Your pet players? How about Fitzhenry for starters. How's he gone for us this year?

I don't rate Ayshford that highly, I just find it amusing that you seemingly can't go two posts without bagging the bloke. Especially considering some of the players that you've never bagged, past and present.

Another special from him today. I wouldn't have either anywhere near a FG side with the way things are going. Why people see fit to blame either for our losses though is absolutely beyond me. Leedsy has the same involvement in the game as whoever plays on our right side at the moment.

TigerLoyalty

Juniors
In a previous post (and i wont even waste my time pasting where its from) someone specifically says Sheens had nothing to do with our 2005 win! Thanks for that. Your wrong by the way.

Sheens contributed to a premiership. The last time the Tigers won a Grand Final was in 1969. I cried in 88 when we lost and again in 89. I cried in 2005 when we won.

Fact is that to win a premiership is a very rare occurence. My father always said to me to pray that within your life time your side wins a premiership for you - they have.

Since then I do however believe our performances have been below par. I am also a believer that we have had the cattle to go 'most of the distance' if not all.

You cant blame the coach solely for this. Why dont we go out and get Nathan Brown to coach us and see how we go (a friend to the players... not a coach that is respected). Id take Sheensie any day over most other coaches (the only other I would consider is Bennett simple as that).

I apologised for questioning each of your loyalty to our team and took that back so dont harp on it.

St George have possibly had the best team for three out of the past ten years - they didnt win a premiership. When we remember history we remember who won rather than who looked like they could win. We have our hands on the 05 premiership!

Fact is we have won a premiership under Sheens. We have two players who I would say are in the top 25 of our game (of course, Benji & Farrah). Apart from that we make do with what we have.

Some of you guys consistently complain but you fail to put alot of things into perspective.

Wow - watch the backlash now! :)

TigerLoyalty

Juniors
Oh and thanks for the guy who called me Mr. Two Post. Thats your second joke this season i heard. It bought a smile to my face.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Oh and thanks for the guy who called me Mr. Two Post. Thats your second joke this season i heard. It bought a smile to my face.

Hang in there- plenty of robust debate- sometimes juvenile, occassionally infantile but mostly informative, amusing and just good to partake in.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
In a previous post (and i wont even waste my time pasting where its from) someone specifically says Sheens had nothing to do with our 2005 win! Thanks for that. Your wrong by the way.

Sheens contributed to a premiership. The last time the Tigers won a Grand Final was in 1969. I cried in 88 when we lost and again in 89. I cried in 2005 when we won.

Fact is that to win a premiership is a very rare occurence. My father always said to me to pray that within your life time your side wins a premiership for you - they have.

Since then I do however believe our performances have been below par. I am also a believer that we have had the cattle to go 'most of the distance' if not all.

You cant blame the coach solely for this. Why dont we go out and get Nathan Brown to coach us and see how we go (a friend to the players... not a coach that is respected). Id take Sheensie any day over most other coaches (the only other I would consider is Bennett simple as that).

I apologised for questioning each of your loyalty to our team and took that back so dont harp on it.

St George have possibly had the best team for three out of the past ten years - they didnt win a premiership. When we remember history we remember who won rather than who looked like they could win. We have our hands on the 05 premiership!

Fact is we have won a premiership under Sheens. We have two players who I would say are in the top 25 of our game (of course, Benji & Farrah). Apart from that we make do with what we have.

Some of you guys consistently complain but you fail to put alot of things into perspective.

Wow - watch the backlash now! :)

Are you happy for us to win the comp and then wallow in mediocrity after it?

I suppose in 2020 when we haven't made the 8 for 15 seasons we can still look back and say "Sheens won us a comp in 05".

:sarcasm:

TigerLoyalty

Juniors
Are you happy for us to win the comp and then wallow in mediocrity after it?

I suppose in 2020 when we haven't made the 8 for 15 seasons we can still look back and say "Sheens won us a comp in 05".

:sarcasm:

Are you happier for us not to have won the comp in 2005 just to make the 8 in the seasons thereafter (only to discover we wouldnt win anyway)?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Are you happier for us not to have won the comp in 2005 just to make the 8 in the seasons thereafter (only to discover we wouldnt win anyway)?

Using your logic, that premiership has bought us up to 50 years or even more of mediocrity. We could finish with the spoon for 10 years in a row and you'd still want Sheens coaching us as "he won the comp in 2005."

The team we have this season is good enough to give this competition a shake, what I want is a competitive side who will not be hindered by a myth, dinosaur coach and his absurd selections. You are happy to win the comp and then be also rans for eternity. That isn't good enough.

We have made the same mistakes over and over again for five years now and nothing changes. What has Sheens done in the last five years to deserve another contract extension?

TigerLoyalty

Juniors
Hybrid Tiger - if you havent noticed we lost probably our most valuable player for the season. His name is Tim Moltzen.

Its not Tim Moltzen himself that represents that value. Its what having him in the side means for the team. Moltzen allows Benji & Farah to play their NATURAL game. This has a domino effect on the whole team.

It wasnt forseen we would loose him for the season. Now Sheens is having to make a decision on who he plays and where. Hes tried Lui at halfback which was a great hit, Lazarus at halfback (a similar result).

A side doesnt just click in to place when you have doubts in stability over 1, 6, 7 & 9. Patience my friend.

TigerLoyalty

Juniors
To add, and as I said in some earlier posts, a halfback doesnt just click in to gear in the top grade straight away. It takes a while for this to happen (take a look at Benji's journey to the top).

We have probably been one of the most unfortunate clubs in terms of loos of critical players at the wrong times in past seasons. This is just something we need to cop on the chin and continue to try and find solutions for.

Latest posts