What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which team have been the flops of 2013 ?

GONZO72

Juniors
Based on expectation, which side this year have been the most disappointing?
The contenders are....
PARRAMATTA- no one expected them to come close to the 8, with their pathetic roster
STGEO/ILL- again, not really a top 8 hope, but 7 wins all season is not acceptable
WEST TIGERS- injuries killed them, and Benji
BRISBANE- with their roster, to miss the 8 so easily was a suprise.
WARRIORS- so much talent, again disappointing
BULLDOGS- last years grand finalists and pre season favourites, limped into the 8.

Based on expectations I have narrowed it down to two teams...BRISBANE and CANTERBURY .

But there can only be one team, and after some deliberation, it has to be CANTERBURY .

At the start of the year, they were premiership favourites. What has happened since, has been a nightmare on and off the field. They have had some reasonable results, but that has been overshadowed by some inept performances
Embarrassing and humiliating losses to Newcastle, Roosters twice, Gold Coast, etc.
Eleven losses in a gut wrenching season for bulldog fans.

The once family club are no more.

Are they the most disappointing side this year ?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Bulldogs for sure. They have a better roster/team than this time last year. Inu and Perrett have had an offseason to settle in. Hodgkinson is a massive upgrade over the Ginger. T-Rex should have been a great addition.

And yet, somehow, they've played like a deflated balloon all year. Never once threatening to find their form of 2012.

A very odd year indeed, clearly affected by the Barba dramas. That can be the only reason.

I never expected anything from Parra or St George ... or the Tigers or Broncos who had average rosters to begin the season.

bor

Juniors
The warriors inconsistency in my opinion is very frustrating. When they play well, they are one of the most entertaining teams to watch. They struggle to back up great performances and would have been a serious threat if they managed to make the 8.

GONZO72

Juniors
Bulldogs for sure. They have a better roster/team than this time last year. Inu and Perrett have had an offseason to settle in. Hodgkinson is a massive upgrade over the Ginger. T-Rex should have been a great addition.

And yet, somehow, they've played like a deflated balloon all year. Never once threatening to find their form of 2012.

A very odd year indeed, clearly affected by the Barba dramas. That can be the only reason.

I never expected anything from Parra or St George ... or the Tigers or Broncos who had average rosters to begin the season.

Agree with all that. They have been a disgrace this year.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I was most disappointed by the Warriors missing the eight. They rampaged over Canberra last week, but looked completely toothless with it all on the line against the Dragons.

Obviously Parramatta, Wests, and Saints had disappointing years - but I hadn't expected a great deal from them.

I'm also disappointed with Newcastle's year. We've been woefully inconsistent all year, and we only managed to squeeze into the eight with two weeks to go.

GONZO72

Juniors
bellyache - neuteredsupporter - Fat Krion - Pip - GONZO72

You are the epitome of a bore.

Jason Maher ( ridiculous and brainless name) , just because people disagree with your boring posts, they must be the one person.

You really do need to grow up, or is it Jason Maher=Loudstrat=Always green=bullfrog farce.

You can't call a team a flop when they have just made the finals and still have a chance of winning the whole thing.

Sure, it's an outside chance but the Dogs are still in with a shot.

For mine, it's the Warriors. Every year I look at that team and think they will be a shoe in for the finals. Most years they tend to let me down.

Gold Coast? They were red hot to start the year then fell away to 9th. I know they had their fair share of injuries but some of those heavy losses were awful.

Or is it just a case of if they stayed healthy enough they would be top 6?

Tommy Smith

Referee
The Titans are a fullback and hooker away from being a quality side.

Idris' injury was a cruel blow. He was the form centre in the comp until his injury IMO.

Also another centre wouldn't go astray.

beefstew

Juniors
The warriors inconsistency in my opinion is very frustrating. When they play well, they are one of the most entertaining teams to watch. They struggle to back up great performances and would have been a serious threat if they managed to make the 8.

Apart from a couple of seasons they have always been the same. Too much South Auckland, not enough West Island imo, not to mention a long line of coaches who are willing to put up with dumb, lazy, and wildly inconsistent players, rather than showing some stones and dropping the bums for fear of upsetting the NZ fans and media.

The only time the club showed anything like consistency was when they had a coach that took no crap (D.Anderson) and they booted his ass because the soft c**k players didn't like it.

TheDalek079

Bench
the Roosters for sure. Signed SBW, Jenko, Maloney, Moa and LOD. We have the game's premier halfback (Pearce). RTS and Tupou are incredible wingers. Minichiello provides experience at the back. JWH is the hardman making big metres.

I thought we were going to be undefeated. To then lose SIX games is very disappointing. Definitely the biggest flop of the season

Misanthrope

Staff member
the Roosters for sure. Signed SBW, Jenko, Maloney, Moa and LOD. We have the game's premier halfback (Pearce). RTS and Tupou are incredible wingers. Minichiello provides experience at the back. JWH is the hardman making big metres.

I thought we were going to be undefeated. To then lose SIX games is very disappointing. Definitely the biggest flop of the season

Save the flop tag for when you guys crash and burn a week out from the big one.

Jason Maher

Immortal
You are the epitome of a bore.

Jason Maher ( ridiculous and brainless name) , just because people disagree with your boring posts, they must be the one person.

You really do need to grow up, or is it Jason Maher=Loudstrat=Always green=bullfrog farce.

Jason (Iasonus) - Greek name meaning "healer"

Maher - fairly common Irish surname

Nothing ridiculous or brainless there. To call you an oxygen thief would be an insult to thieves.

Michael Bishop

Juniors
You could argue that Parramatta weren't expected to achieve this year but they have been dreadful so they'd be my vote. Tigers a close second.
Even though the Bulldogs have been less than impressive they're still in with a remote chance of repeating last year so haven't been a complete flop.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Raiders went from Finals 6 weeks ago to complete rabble now ... one of the most sudden and epic implosions seen for some time!

It was less than 2 months ago that they were running out to play Melbourne on the back of 12 straight wins at home, sitting 5th(?) on the ladder ..

GONZO72

Juniors
You can't call a team a flop when they have just made the finals and still have a chance of winning the whole thing.

Sure, it's an outside chance but the Dogs are still in with a shot.

For mine, it's the Warriors. Every year I look at that team and think they will be a shoe in for the finals. Most years they tend to let me down.

The bulldogs had the best defensive record last year. They lost just 6 matches in 26 rounds.
They were $5 favourites in February, after again adding to their squad by purchasing TREX.

Fast forward....they have conceded more points than any other team in the 8, have lost almost twice as many games than last year, and have been embarrassed with some horrendous results this year.

Not withstanding that the toxic environment at the club has brought the game into disrepute.

They have Buckley's chance of winning the comp.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Brisbane Donkeys for sure,they deserve the wooden spoon,they have multiple SOO stars and Kiwi internationals unlike the Eels/Dragons/Tigers

Brisbane Donkeys 2013 wooden spoon champions