What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which team should relocate to western austrlia?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Few things with that article

1. Plenty of people think there are too many teams in Melbourne including the afl (they desperately tried to get someone to relocate at last expansion)
2. Nrl isnt as popular in Sydney as afl in Melbourne so comparing the two is pointless
3. The problem with Sydney is some of the clubs are small and unlikely to get much bigger due to geographical, stadium or financial constraints, the gap between the haves and have nots will,surely widen
4. Afl was able to expand and still keep its existing clubs due to a massive restructure of finances including variable grants, rich club tax, ticket taxes etc. this gave them the ability to take up costly expansion whilst still bailing out the struggling clubs. The nrl and nrl clubs have refused to accept this is necessary.

There will be no expansion, the game is run too poorly at the moment. So that then leaves the question would relocation or license moving yield better returns in a 16 club national competition?

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Please save me the "NSW Cup" argument that somehow means that your team will live on in some Zombie Apocalypse league that no one gives two shits about...

That is just dishonest.

The second tier not being respected is caused by the structure of the competitions and the presentation of said competition/s.

If the NRL was to say restructure the second tier into a single national competition with a two to four conference system and a one club one team policy (so no club is allowed to field teams in more then one competition), introduced a proper duel registration system, then worked on getting as many games in that league televised as possible and helped facilitate the live streaming of the rest, then having a few well supported older Sydney clubs playing in that competition would be a very beneficial thing, and nobody loses their club or is cut off from their club by not being able to interact with it on a week to week basis because their clubs games aren't broadcast.

I'd even consider an open ended third tier with promotion and regulation between the second and third tier to spice things up, but that might be asking a bit much.

If the NRL was willing to put the work into the lower tiers (which honestly I'm not convinced that the NRL is, but it is desperately needed) then it'd be in every bodies interest for the NRLs' rejects to be dropped into that competition, of course you are right though as this the NRL so what should happen won't, so maybe we're better off just letting the clubs kill themselves instead of hoping that the NRL would be innovative (for Australian sport anyway) and take some risks.

taipan

Referee
Few things with that article

1. Plenty of people think there are too many teams in Melbourne including the afl (they desperately tried to get someone to relocate at last expansion)
2. Nrl isnt as popular in Sydney as afl in Melbourne so comparing the two is pointless
3. The problem with Sydney is some of the clubs are small and unlikely to get much bigger due to geographical, stadium or financial constraints, the gap between the haves and have nots will,surely widen
4. Afl was able to expand and still keep its existing clubs due to a massive restructure of finances including variable grants, rich club tax, ticket taxes etc. this gave them the ability to take up costly expansion whilst still bailing out the struggling clubs. The nrl and nrl clubs have refused to accept this is necessary.

There will be no expansion, the game is run too poorly at the moment. So that then leaves the question would relocation or license moving yield better returns in a 16 club national competition?

! and 2, I agree

3 Not so, the inner city Glebe to Alexandria ,then Shire ,South Sydney are all growing population wise.Why ? because of the high density housing being pushed by State Govt.The Shire alone needs 5,000 new residences within the next 5 years.
If all clubs secure $13m grants from the NRL and an't perform there is a problem.But a lot more clubs are now getting back on their feet financially ,through memberships,and sponsorships.
Funny a club like the Sharks with a lot less monies was able to win a G/F when teams like the constantly profitable Broncos did not last year.
The AFL expanded because the Lions and Swans were going down the tube.It was an act of do it or lose it.
The NRL( once the Titans and Knights) are sold will not be in that situation.

You tell them how to run it and ask the players to not ask for salary increases, then we''ll be able to expand tomorrow.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Like I have said many times, the AFL spend a lot more money than the NRL do ( in Sydney) propping up comparatively poorly supported teams in Melbourne...

Given they have such a stranglehold in Melbourne already, I think its interesting that they choose to do this...

BuffaloRules

Coach
The second tier not being respected is caused by the structure of the competitions and the presentation of said competition/s.

If the NRL was to say restructure the second tier into a single national competition with a two to four conference system and a one club one team policy (so no club is allowed to field teams in more then one competition), introduced a proper duel registration system, then worked on getting as many games in that league televised as possible and helped facilitate the live streaming of the rest, then having a few well supported older Sydney clubs playing in that competition would be a very beneficial thing, and nobody loses their club or is cut off from their club by not being able to interact with it on a week to week basis because their clubs games aren't broadcast.

I'd even consider an open ended third tier with promotion and regulation between the second and third tier to spice things up, but that might be asking a bit much.

If the NRL was willing to put the work into the lower tiers (which honestly I'm not convinced that the NRL is, but it is desperately needed) then it'd be in every bodies interest for the NRLs' rejects to be dropped into that competition, of course you are right though as this the NRL so what should happen won't, so maybe we're better off just letting the clubs kill themselves instead of hoping that the NRL would be innovative (for Australian sport anyway) and take some risks.

I think we will agree to disagree on this... you obviously have a vision for the 2nd tier of the game that I don't share in an already crowded sports universe....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like I have said many times, the AFL spend a lot more money than the NRL do ( in Sydney) propping up comparatively poorly supported teams in Melbourne...

Given they have such a stranglehold in Melbourne already, I think its interesting that they choose to do this...

They have no choice, they have sold a nine game package for a record amount of money. They aren't going to reduce it to an eight game a week package and take a massive financial hit, it is still more profitable to fund struggling clubs and have nine games than let clubs fall over and only have 8 games to sell.

taipan

Referee
They have no choice, they have sold a nine game package for a record amount of money. They aren't going to reduce it to an eight game a week package and take a massive financial hit, it is still more profitable to fund struggling clubs and have nine games than let clubs fall over and only have 8 games to sell.

And what happens should the next Tv deal ,be well under,even allowing for 9 games.You think the Vic clubs are going to be thrilled with the continual propping up of the Northerners to their detriment, when the cash is not like it used to be? May well be hypothetical ,but based on TV stations financials not out of the question.

siv

First Grade
I like watch FG RG and U20s

But shifting RG and U20s away from FG match has made the exercise pointless

I dont follow a NSW Cup team

I have a passing interest because my NRL squad players 18-36 are playing

But it means nothing if a NSW Cup wins the comp in foreign colours. It doesnt count as a RG or U20 premiership to MY club

NRL FG is so much of a TV product these days is MY club fielded a team in NSW Cup / U20s - I would probably save money go and watch them.

Then watch NRL on TV so I could see all 3 grades

I have no interest in driving 1 to 2h to watch a feeder club - might as well do something else more interesting

Perth Red

Post Whore
And what happens should the next Tv deal ,be well under,even allowing for 9 games.You think the Vic clubs are going to be thrilled with the continual propping up of the Northerners to their detriment, when the cash is not like it used to be? May well be hypothetical ,but based on TV stations financials not out of the question.

I don't know I don't have a crystal ball, do you? What happens if the next tv deal follows the previous deals and is worth even more? You can play hypotheticals all day.

taipan

Referee
I don't know I don't have a crystal ball, do you? What happens if the next tv deal follows the previous deals and is worth even more? You can play hypotheticals all day.

You have one you keep polishing, bring it out the public's used to it.You are qwuiote happy to state what the NRL will be not doing years from now.Each way bet melad?

If the next TV deal is worth more and the Nth States are still wallowing in expensive handouts, losses and poor TV ratings,the struggling Vic clubs will still be wanting a better deal.They have already stated their position on Cola and other underpinning monies.
So either way,continual handouts with little results do not make a happy group .That's not hypothetical.

Diesel

Referee
Other Friday night, another shit night by a Sydney foundation club.

Move Souths to Adelaide (Souths Australia), Easts to NZ (which is technically as east as you can get), Tigers to Perth. Create a new Sydney team called Sydney United made up of Balmain, Wests, Souths and Easts to keep the Sydney fans happy.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Other Friday night, another shit night by a Sydney foundation club.

Move Souths to Adelaide (Souths Australia), Easts to NZ (which is technically as easy as you can get), Tigers to Perth. Create a new Sydney team called Sydney United made up of Balmain, Wests, Souths and Easts to keep the Sydney fans happy.

Something like this is the solution to the Sydney mess. I'd relocate at least 4 teams and get 2 new Sydney teams in.

Diesel

Referee
Something like this is the solution to the Sydney mess. I'd relocate at least 4 teams and get 2 new Sydney teams in.
when new NSW teams are mentioned, (CC Bears) a lot of people shoot it down, perhaps this is the way to go.

It dawned on me while I was on my 7th beer

flippikat

Bench
when new NSW teams are mentioned, (CC Bears) a lot of people shoot it down, perhaps this is the way to go.

It dawned on me while I was on my 7th beer

If you were creating a trans-tasman competition from scratch, no way would it have as many Sydney teams as we have right now, and there'd certainly be at least 2 teams from Brisbane & 2 teams from New Zealand.

By circumstances more than design, we've ended up with an extremely unbalanced competition.

It's as if Super Rugby had 8 Auckland rugby club sides, plus Waikato, Wellington, Canterbury, Otago, Northern Transvaal Blue Bulls, Western Province, and New South Wales Waratahs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is there any city in the world with 14 top flight sports teams in it other than Sydney? I suspect not.

taipan

Referee
Is there any city in the world with 14 top flight sports teams in it other than Sydney? I suspect not.

That's right, and a city of 2million (far west of us), can't handle 4 top flight sports' teams and is getting rid of one.There you go.

Stallion

First Grade
Talk of relocation is completely negative.
Additional clubs are what is desperately needed but we have on organization(NRL) that is strongly influenced by a media mogul(The one that conspired & funded the split in the game in 1996) that is ultimately intent on seeing this game either in decline or under its control(which is happening!). To dilute the game in Australia's largest city reeks of defeatism and a message that our game is not good enough for various demographics.

The game of rugby league certainly is good enough for various demographics. Unfortunately the school system within the private sector still doesn't allow RL to be played and this is the seed of rugby league's issues. Despite this, the game still is attractive to most people which is a credit to the players and the code itself. It is the administrators that are sitting on their hands . Maybe this is deliberate, but I can see that we , genuine rugby league fans, are being invited/baited into a discourse that suits the conspirators means.

The game of rugby league is better than to have it run away from existing and iconic markets . It needs to use the established advantages the 100 plus year history has in place and not weaken the very soul and origins of this marvelous competition. A case in point, the Knights fans are really watching the Knights go around each week to get flogged ! They, the fans have a real respect and admiration for the clubs in Sydney(Although this is starting to wane) and this is what spurns their interest and love for the game. Sure they would love a winning team but they still have this "respect" for what is essentially the most popular "rugby " competition bar none in the world.

AFL has complete acceptance in all school systems and this is where it has the advantage on rugby league. Something that can be changed if rugby league are really serious about growing the game!

taipan

Referee
Talk of relocation is completely negative.
Additional clubs are what is desperately needed but we have on organization(NRL) that is strongly influenced by a media mogul(The one that conspired & funded the split in the game in 1996) that is ultimately intent on seeing this game either in decline or under its control(which is happening!). To dilute the game in Australia's largest city reeks of defeatism and a message that our game is not good enough for various demographics.

The game of rugby league certainly is good enough for various demographics. Unfortunately the school system within the private sector still doesn't allow RL to be played and this is the seed of rugby league's issues. Despite this, the game still is attractive to most people which is a credit to the players and the code itself. It is the administrators that are sitting on their hands . Maybe this is deliberate, but I can see that we , genuine rugby league fans, are being invited/baited into a discourse that suits the conspirators means.

The game of rugby league is better than to have it run away from existing and iconic markets . It needs to use the established advantages the 100 plus year history has in place and not weaken the very soul and origins of this marvelous competition. A case in point, the Knights fans are really watching the Knights go around each week to get flogged ! They, the fans have a real respect and admiration for the clubs in Sydney(Although this is starting to wane) and this is what spurns their interest and love for the game. Sure they would love a winning team but they still have this "respect" for what is essentially the most popular "rugby " competition bar none in the world.

AFL has complete acceptance in all school systems and this is where it has the advantage on rugby league. Something that can be changed if rugby league are really serious about growing the game!

Your last para hit the nail on the head.If rugby league had been played in many of the so called elite private schools, there would be a wider demographic involved, wider sponsorship spread and both ru and rl would benefit.
The fact AFL has now encroached into these schools has undermined union, the flow on effect is a poor quality player base.

Stallion

First Grade
Your last para hit the nail on the head.If rugby league had been played in many of the so called elite private schools, there would be a wider demographic involved, wider sponsorship spread and both ru and rl would benefit.
The fact AFL has now encroached into these schools has undermined union, the flow on effect is a poor quality player base.

I'll qualify the information. Rugby union has the influence in the private school sector. I believe this influence has allowed AFL to be accepted with rugby league still on the outer in most private schools of NSW & QLD.

The private schools of the "non rugby league " states already play AFL along with the public schools of those states. It is rugby league that is being attacked in its general/public ranks by virtue of a "sweetheart" deal made between the codes of RU and AFL whereby AFL weakens rugby league's "public/weekend" numbers in exchange for AFL access and acceptance into most QLD & NSW private schools.

The end result Rugby league is still the overall loser in both the public and private school domain. Remembering RU is still being propagated by the private school system and I also note that it is increasingly active in the public school domain in recent years , especially the inner city schools of where I teach.

taipan

Referee
One of the answers is,to get the NRL to propagate touch or 9s rugby league in the Private schools.Less chance of injury.

Many years ago when Moffatt was running the NRL.I use the term" running " lightly BTW,I asked him by phone on 2UE in a sport's show why the code has not pushed rl in the GPS and associated schools.His lame response"It's too hard."

If it's bleeding good enough to be able to play rl at Sydney, Oxford and Cambridge universities,what makes these Private schools so unique IMO.

That's why it is so important for the NRL to go on the attack at grassroots level, with more money to push their cause.The NRL players need to be informed of the need to do so, else fumbleball will end up like Maccas, on every street corner.

Latest posts