What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the genuine title threats for this year?

Style Stanley is off contract end of this season DS. He will be THE prority for the club. I would expect Coops to be moved on if Bennett and hance Boyd stay to accomodate him. If Bennett and hence Boyd leave, then he will be offered the No 1 I would suspect.

If Coops & Boyd both leave at the end of the year, then we'll keep Style and buy J Moz back from the Dogs.......Perfect.

Seriously though, we'll have some real tough calls to make this year as always happens after success. We've already lost the games most dominant big game player in Jezza to you blokes and also a QLD rep in Nev & big Saff has gone back to Rugga. With Gasnier back, we will have to shed more & I think Cooper is the man in the gun regardless of what Boyd does.

IMO, Stanley is going to be a superstar, so if it means offing some older servants, so be it. But it will be tough, he will be just about the most sought after back on the market this year, along with Darius.

I'm sure the Sharks will be bidding hard, but they'll have to get in the queue.

Thanks for the info Ronnie.

Your right he will be hot property.

Can play multiple positions and bloody good kicker!!

Moffo

Referee
In case you really wanted to know... forwards outside the starting 13 (as I see it) are:

Trent Merrin
Matt Prior - has had a great summer btw
Jon Green
Nick Emmett
Michael Greenfield
Cuthbo - as mentioned, set to destroy the NRL like the Staypuft marshmallow man
Jack Bosden - Cronulla were filthy to lose him, has spent a year developing in the Dragons system
David Gower - NSW Cup player of the year with Tigers
Daniel Penese
Jake Marketo

Apart from Prior and Merrin they are either unknown quantities or journeymen, but again it all depends the Bennett factor.

how is david gower hitting the ball these days?

Ulysseus

Bench
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
These things are always difficult to predict with some clarity until we get into the swing of things, but I'll have an uneducated stab.

Wests Tigers
Why they can:
Learned to play slightly ugly, still had some razzle dazzle when it mattered, can be better than they were in 2010.
Why they can't:
No real reason barring injuries, unless Sheens f**ks with something.

St George Illawarra
Why they can:
Defensive masterpiece, can attack when required, seem to be a hell of a lot fitter than many other teams, monkey off the back, best coach ever, Dan Hunt was going great guns before injury in about round 11, if he can come back to his previous form he will play origin and plug some of the gap left by Costigan,
Merrin will be a better player in 2011 and Green showed in the preliminary he has the naus to play in the big ones (THAT catch on the line).
Why they can't:
Lost Costigan, Saffy and Smith - Smith may not have played a sh*tload of games in his 2 years, but you can cite him as one of the main reasons they won the comp, hopefully his toughness and technique rubbed off on a few others before he left.
Costigan was a machine and even out of position was a revelation under Bennett.

Roosters
Why they can:
f**king young team (barring a few), will have the hunger for it after coming close in 2010, have the ability to go with that hunger.
Why they can't:
Did not posses the defensive steel of some of the other top sides throughout the year.

Titans
Why they can:
Experienced line up, will want to make amends for last years capitulation, might get the luck on the day, Prince can pull something out of a hat every now and then.
Why they can't:
Getting a bit f**king old.

Warriors
Why they can:
Possess speed, size and power - if they can go injury free or close to they can finish top 4 and give it a real shake, I thought they might have last year but it was not to be.
Will need to keep winning away from home though to do that.
Why they can't:
Will need to possess passion above all else first.

Canterbury
Why they can:
Ummmmm, no real reasons actually
Why they can't:
Lost too much too quickly, vital pieces of the machine gone.
In saying that they can throw up a surprise every now and then.

Cowboys
No chance, even with the foul mouthed raging f**kwit in the halves

Panthers
Why they can:
They can score points, lots of them.
Why they can't:
One dimensional in extermis attack, need luck with injuries, 2010 may have just been a flash in the pan

Raiders
Why they can:
Showed they can razzle dazzle and win games with an onslaught of points.
Why they can't:
As was exposed by Wests in finals week 2, they are not made of the hard stuff just yet and pretty much spent the game playing catch up after getting blitzed early and came up agonizingly short.
TC's injury might f**k them over too.

Knights
Why they can:
No real reason at all actually
Why they can't:
They probably wont make the 8

Storm
Why they can:
Managed to hold onto 3 of the big 4 despite rampant cheating, managed to sign Beau Champion in spite of being near the limit.....................................anyway, Champion goes alright and he will produce something decent outside the cheat in the halves, the cheat at fullback and the biggest cheat at hooker.
Why they can't:
To say every team will be aiming up to beat them is an understatement, even though they finished last year with a spoon they are f**king hated.
Might scrape it for the middle of the 8, will depend on how Bellamy goes without his excess talent.

Rabbitohs
Why they can:
They keep f**king telling us they will.....
Best forward pack in the league yadda yadda yadda, now they have Ingli$.
Why they can't:
Halves are f**king useless, unless Burgess himself slots into the halves (that boy has balls and power) I can't see them doing jack sh*t.
Maybe the halves will prove me wrong though, they could set it on fire if they keep the injuries under control, although a lot of their injuries may come down to player fitness.

Manly
Why they can:
They wont.
Why they can't:
Lost it, they might make the 8, but the hunger is gone

Sharks
Why they can:
f**k.................................. maybe god will show mercy.
Seriously, not a realistic chance.
There is hope though, and his name is Jeremy Smith.
He has balls, strength and no fear.
He might not be able to take them through to the promised land, but maybe ala Kennedy at Manly he can leave a legacy for them to aspire to and replicate in his absence, one of real toughness, not dive taker Gallen.
Why they can't:
They are the Sharks, and many have suggested they are destined to wander for an eternity without a title.

Parra
Why they can:
See above, although they might go alright with Hayne if he has another brilliant individualist year.
Reni will be fit and raring, Carl is a fat has been and Walker is a f**king moron.
Stranger combinations have worked, and a team full of misfits under a coach who ended his career in disgrace might just be the f**ked up combination to jam Parra back into the finals.
Why they can't:
Again, see above, everything that means they could play like motherf**kers and finish in the top 4 is also the exact reason they could finish in the bottom 4.
Walker hits the piss, Carl hits Maccas and Reni hits the drugs - worst case scenario.
Ian Hindmarash should have come out of retirement.

Broncos
Why they can:
They wont, but they'll make the 8 in a much improved year benefitting from blooding so many youngsters last year.
Why they can't:
Coach is f**king useless.

super_coach

First Grade
Theirs a lot of support for the Dogs out their, I have my doubts. Very seldom dose a side who makes a fist full of signing come good in year one. It usually takes a couple of years to come together.

Souths only need a ounce of luck to be right up their after the killed a black cat last year!!

But really hard to go past the Dragons,Tigers and Chooks with the danger comming from The warriors and the Bronks. The Raiders will struggle without Campo

Vic Mackey

Referee
Tigers are specials, more depth then any other team and rep quality in every position. Were missing 4 of our starting 13 v the dragons and still took a field goal to beat us.

Likes of dwyer, Lui, fifita, Murdoch-masila will be better for the year and moltzen is like a new signing.

Wests are the team to beat.

Jono1987

Juniors
Tigers are specials, more depth then any other team and rep quality in every position. Were missing 4 of our starting 13 v the dragons and still took a field goal to beat us.

Likes of dwyer, Lui, fifita, Murdoch-masila will be better for the year and moltzen is like a new signing.

Incorrect. The defending premiers are the team to beat. Although I do think it will be a Saints V Tigers GF.

Gaba

First Grade

Who still rely on marshall , thats why i am 50/50 about the tigers.

can they find any other alternatives then just marshall if they dont they will be handled by defensive sides like the dragons

i think the dragons have more depth then the tigers.

Last edited:

Gaba

First Grade
Seriously? That's all you've got?
nah you are right

yourself
bunnies man
haynetrain
timmah
adamkungl
simostorm
and others

are more a threat then i am

the market would be

Bunniesman 2/5 on
Rockwheel evens
Timmah 2/1
adamkungl 5/2
Loudstrat 5/2
simostorm 3/1
Skeepe 3/1
dave q 3/1
ifreeak 3/1
haynetrain 5/1
bulldogs supporters 5/1
tonearm terrorwrist 5/1
Baron von mander 5/1

Roosters and eels supporters 6/1

others 7/1

Last edited:

Gaba

First Grade
The dragons rely more on Boyd way more then the tigers rely on marshall to score points.
i disagree

Boyd comes into the movement ,if he is stopped you have soward , hornby, fein , etc to put some moves on.

If marshall is stopped the tigers find it very hard to put points on