What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the genuine title threats for this year?

the1

Juniors
In my opinions the Roosters were massive over-achievers last season. They played a few very good games however they also had more than their fair share of luck and lucky escapes. I think the Roosters will possibly just scrape into the eight.

I can not write off the Dragons to go back to back either. Out of the last 5 years, I think the Dragons are the most likely to be able to win back to back Premierships.

The teams I think will give it a good shake are:

Dragons
Souths
Dogs
Tigers

They also have a trophy and the record books forever saying 32-8.

1. Boyd
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Soward
7. Hornby

14. Stanley

That's a pretty dangerous backline. But attack isn't our gameplan and it doesn't need to be. We let the opposition choke themselves out of a contest, then put on the points. Case in point, the 2010 grand final.

Well there's half a footy team.

Where's your pack?

You know the real guys who win footy games.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Well there's half a footy team.

Where's your pack?

You know the real guys who win footy games.

Weyman (NSW/AUS), Hunt (future NSW), Creagh(NSW/AUS), Merrin, Scott (NSW), Prior, Young (AUS & future NSW)

Plus plenty of promising youngsters.

Somehow, I think we'll be okay

Solid enough but I think you've lost the guys that gave your pack some mongrel last season.

If I was an opposition coach I'd be playing you guys up the middle and roughing it up. Think you will be exposed in that area this season by the better packs.

grouch

First Grade
Think you will be exposed in that area this season by the better packs.
Sounds like wishful thinking, but hey, gotta find a weakness where you can.

As awesome as Smith is (i.e very - best lock in the world back half of the year) he played just 13 games last season, and Costigan only filled in at prop because we lost Hunt. Both are terrific forwards who will be missed, but we have some strong replacements.

Sounds like wishful thinking, but hey, gotta find a weakness where you can.

As awesome as Smith is (i.e very - best lock in the world back half of the year) he played just 13 games last season, and Costigan only filled in at prop because we lost Hunt. Both are terrific forwards who will be missed, but we have some strong replacements.

Sorry I forgot you signed Adam Cuthbertson my apologies.

Galeforce

Bench
for the record my Top 4

Souths , NZ Warriors, Storm , Saints

candidates for balance of top 8 , Panthers, Brisbane, Roosters, Tigers , Bulldogs

wooden spoon Eels.

chefman21

Juniors
These are my genuine contenders. I wonder how many of these will be true....

Roosters will be there or there abouts. Carney, Anasta, Friend and Pearce will get a full preseason and season together this season. Plenty of depth in the forwards, a good backline and the hurt from last season should get them in the 8 comfortably. May come back to the pack a little.

Saints will be there but won't be quite as dominant. Lost a fair bit in Smith and Costigan. They were the heart and soul of that pack and team. Need a big season from two or three of Gasnier, Boyd, Soward and one of your forwards to be at the GF.

Dogs will be in the eight. Recruited really well and will be hurting after last season. Tolman and Eastwood will give them much needed mongrel in the pack, while Barba, Hodkinson and Ennis will form a good combo. Add that to Idris, Stagg, Morris and co and it's a good looking side.

Tigers will be there and are my favourites for the premiership. Great forward pack, good halves and a good backline will carry them to the GF. Will welcome back Tuiaki and Moltzen with open arms.

Melbourne. After the hurt of last season, they will be in the hunt for redemption. A side that still boasts Slater, Cronk, Smith, Blair and Manu is nothing to be sneezed at.

Manly. They've got some young guys in key positions, but those guys are all quality and they are surrounded by some pretty special players and/or very experienced players. My darkhorses for the premiership along with the Dogs.

mongoose

Coach
Geez fellas. I'm not a wrap for Roberts at all. He may seem inconsistent - I just think he is ordinary. He has looked good on occassions when running the ball and has a nice attacking grubber when close to the line but these few flashes of brilliance only seemed to be when playing with an experienced half ie Kimmorley. I fear for the Dogs if he's running the show. They must give more ball to the centres this season.

Hence why I dont rate the dogs chances, no quality halves or fullback.

Noa

First Grade
scarves in his excellent contribution brought up a point re the storm way too many people are ignoring i.e. Our prop forward rotation is either very average or very green, there is no way we are a cert top 4 team unless kite and bromwich blossom. White, tolman, lima and tandy are massive losses.

scarves in his excellent contribution brought up a point re the storm way too many people are ignoring i.e. Our prop forward rotation is either very average or very green, there is no way we are a cert top 4 team unless kite and bromwich blossom. White, tolman, lima and tandy are massive losses.

Your right.

And I don't even think Melbourne will make the 8. (Because of your pack.)

But I'm sure Melbourne will quickly rebuild and will be a top 4 team very soon.

When you have the calibre of 1,7 and 9 like you have it won't take long to become a great team again.

Noa

First Grade
....i'll add sika manu at prop would change the dynamics of the pack greatly. He,s wasted out wide under the storms style

Gaba

First Grade
Solid enough but I think you've lost the guys that gave your pack some mongrel last season.

If I was an opposition coach I'd be playing you guys up the middle and roughing it up. Think you will be exposed in that area this season by the better packs.

This might surprise you
j smith didnt play that many games for the dragons over the last 2 years , im not saying he isnt a bad player or the dragons wont miss him, but the dragons manage without him.

R2Coupe

Juniors
The teams with good fast halves will feature in the finals. The Dragons and Roosters are obvious candidates.

boxhead

First Grade
....i'll add sika manu at prop would change the dynamics of the pack greatly. He,s wasted out wide under the storms style

Aww, but then we won't see him play on the wing again :)

I remember Slats was looking to his left to pass, and Sika was 20 metres behind!!! Big guy tried hard, done well!