What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the genuine title threats for this year?

Jud

Juniors
Hey! Who said you could let reality get in the way of a good story. That troll was having a good time and you ruined it.

hardly think that would be from a troll, would have thought that was the general consensus. Souffs are a substandard team who will struggle when the pressure gets applied on a weekly basis. Sure, they will win a few games, but lets not get carried away. :crazy:

BunniesMan

Immortal
hardly think that would be from a troll, would have thought that was the general consensus. Souffs are a substandard team who will struggle when the pressure gets applied on a weekly basis. Sure, they will win a few games, but lets not get carried away. :crazy:
Wasn't talking about that part of it. People are entitled to their opinions and their guesses as to how the 2011 season will turn out (although anyone doubting Souths is wrong). The trollish bit was the BS about Lang being "dead man walking". Lang isn't a dead man walking. He isn't being pushed out. It will be an orderly handover from him to our next coach as has been planned for a long time. As far back as when Lang started as coach all parties knew he'd be moving on from the position at the end of 2011.

And that idiot saying it will cause problems is either ignorant of the situation or deliberately stirring things up, aka: troll.

Last edited:

Bluebag

Juniors
my mate and I have backed the Eels at $26 only because it has lost its unpopular coach and hired a rookie, first year coaches do well , also historically clubs who have lost a loyal and long serving players have lifted the next year, its a fresh start, so it was a historical bet. I am no Eels fan either just a bit on history. I have doubts on Souths though as how can signing GI as talanted as he is help their defence, no point scoring 30 points a game if you let in 40.

boxhead

First Grade
That's why I'm nominating them.

Think about it; there's been a spattering of first year coaches over the years who have taken teams and improved them to contenders or premiers (Ricky Stuart 2002, Michael Hagen 2001, Steve Folkes 1998). Given he's also the Kiwis national coach I wouldn't be surprised to see Mooks turn Parra into a consistent team of contenders.

I take your point :) Thanks. I keep hearing so much good stuff about Kearney from Storm fans and the media, I'm starting to really look forward to the future under him.

Their forward packs strength has been their speed & mobility (much like the Tigers). They have rarely been a menacing pack.

Agree with this. They are one of the fittest and fastest forward packs in the competition, very dynamic. I think if Scott Prince fires again they will be top four yet again, even with the loss of Mat Rogers.

Scarves

Juniors
My thoughts:

The Roosters will be faced with some new challenges in 2011. Their young halves will most surely be the NSW halves pairing, their season will be different and the team will need to be managed differently throughout the year. They won't be the surprise packet of last year. Although I think they're a quality team, this year will be a stern test for the squad and coaching staff. Anything but a top four showing will be a major disappointment.

Saints have lost some under-rated engine room performers in Smith, Saffy and Costigan. These players were integral to the grinding, solid, no nonsense performances of the Dragons, it will be interesting to see what players take up the slack. They will be very competitive and well drilled, but it will be very tough for this group to score a threepeat minor premiership performance. Certain semi finalists.

The Warriors looked to be building to something in 2010. Their halves looked sharp, forwards young and bold, backs fast and exciting. I have my eye on them and the Wests Tigers in 2011. Moltzen is basically a new buy for the Tige's, on last years form, and with such a well balanced squad, the Tigers should be a certainty for a 2011 top 4 berth.

Injuries aside, I thought the Rabbitohs were a lower end semi final bound team last year. Despite all the negative publicity, if Greg Inglis fires, on paper this club improves its position, up and into the eight.

It is very difficult to get a read on Canberra and the Bulldogs for various reasons. So much of the Raiders work has relied on Terry, this injury is a crushing blow to what should have been a watershed season. On the Dogs I like the new balance of the forward pack, Pritchard and Eastwood are perfect for their squad, but they have a new halves combo, new forwards and lost some genuine veteran club legends. Interesting season but this club tends to bounce back under these circumstances, my gut says they'll be back in the top 8.

And it is always difficult to read Parramatta. Their 2011 off season recruiting is strange. The loss of Mateo and the lack of spark in the halves will mean more pressure on Hayne to conjure up miracle plays. This looks to be a sit and change the culture kind of year for Steve Kearney.

Success for Manly's 2011 season revolves around a successful return of Brett Stewart and the development of Foran and his partnership with Cherry-Evans. Foran looked lost toward the back half of last season while Cherry-Evans comes with bigger wraps than Hodkinson. Without good form in these area's the Sea Eagles will be as one dimensional as the junior burger.

In my eyes, Newcastle look to be a club on the up. Plenty of exciting players, Mullen looked to have turned a corner in his career toward the back end of last season. I'll be interested to see how his year unfolds.

If Lockyer stays fit for the year Brisbane will be top four material, without him they'll be shaking hands with the groundhog. The terrible news is Locky isn't getting younger and the injuries are starting to become familiar. The Bronco forwards will continue to produce but they will really be hoping for a massive year from Justin Hodges.

North Queensland still look a rabble, have they fixed anything? They appear to have lost more than they gained, especially with Tate's injury. This club needs to create a home ground fortress. If they improve dramatically in 2011 it will surprise me.

The Gold Coast may have peaked. The team is all quality featuring tremendous backline depth but Prince failed to absolutely put his stanp on the finals last season and it may be a sign of quality player in decline. when they go they go quick. Scott is so important to this team. My forecast, they'll drop out of the top four to somewhere else.

Melbourne lack front rowers in 2011 which will create more tight contests. They'll be very competitive because of their culture and the tremendous talents at 9, 7, and 1, but around Origin time they'll need to be in good position or they'll run out of gas and miss the September dance.

Cronulla have a very good forward pack heading into 2011. Forwards get teams into a position to win matches. Are Wade Graham and Tim Smith the answers in the halves? The backline still looks thin. They'll lose plenty of close games in 2011. No dice.

Penrith have a good all round squad, some of the best front rowers going around but their back row appears to be missing an attacking X Factor in 2011. Walsh will need to produce another improved season. They need to do more with Jennings, this running from dummy half garbage is blunting his class. Still, if Lachlan Coote stays fit for the entire season, they'll be very competitive.

It's early but these are my thoughts.

Dragons
Bulldogs
Roosters

Are all definitely in the mix...

I am not convinced that the Tigers will be there in 11.

Storm will make the finals but are not premiership material IMO.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I'm going to have to say:

- Rabbits
- Dogs
- Storm
- Tigers
- Roosters

Can't see a team outside of this doing the business in 2011

Unfortunately for St Merge fans, I can see them falling in to a very familiar hole in 2011. Teams will work out how to play against their defensive line and they will have no Plan B. They also have a number of guys on the wrong side of their career who will lack the firepower to back up for another year.

Cheers,
Moffo
I remember comments like that at the start of 2010. Many didn't even think we'd make the 8.

Next year will be tougher for us, not for the reasons you listed though. We've lost Smith and Costigan so we've lost a fair bit of mongrel. Our squad is actually younger next year :roll:

Our backline is more potent however and have a stronger front row rotation with Weyman, Hunt, Merrin and Prior all fit.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
What options do the Dragons have in attack? Archer? the touch judge?

They also have a trophy and the record books forever saying 32-8.

1. Boyd
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Soward
7. Hornby

14. Stanley

That's a pretty dangerous backline. But attack isn't our gameplan and it doesn't need to be. We let the opposition choke themselves out of a contest, then put on the points. Case in point, the 2010 grand final.

Canard

Immortal
Hey! Who said you could let reality get in the way of a good story. That troll was having a good time and you ruined it.

It doesn't matter which way you want to spin it, the players knowing that that the Coach isn't going to be there the next season has an MAJOR impact on his ability to discipline and lead the team. All there tactics, team play, defense etc. will all be chucked out the window come the the next offseason.

This affects all teams especially one has inexperienced to any success as Souths.

I reckon 2011 will be a treading water season for Souths, waiting until they make a big $$$ push for Bennett.

Hutty1986

Immortal
What options do the Dragons have in attack? Archer? the touch judge?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Try Morris, Boyd, Gasnier, Nightingale (you must remember him, he scored a double when we pumped you in the GF just last year), Hornby, Soward, Creagh, Fien.. the list goes on and on.

Doomednow

Bench
Can't predict the end of the season, rep duties and injuries will help decide that but as for picking good starts...

Dragons, Dogs, Storm, Penrith, Roosters I expect to see some fireworks in the first couple of rounds. Not saying they can keep it up, but the Dogs and Storm at least will have the benefit of other teams not yet having their measure, and the Storm have managed to hang onto 3of their 4 star players after all.

I expect the Panthers to do ok for the season, but not sure they are genuine contenders. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Dragons are a safe bet for top four at least. I expect the Titans to give it a red hot go as well. Tigers should also have a good year, hopefully we will be spared some Benji Marshall hissy fits.

I hope Manly have at least an average season, more fun beating them when they are being competitive.

Cowboys to improve. Also sharks.

Rabbits to "underachieve" again, Knights to have a tough year. Parramatta likely bottom 6, though might surprise.

Spot On

Coach
The Dogs have Ben Roberts as a play maker. Does anyone else see this as a problem? Or are they going to sit him on the bench or leave him out altogether?

boxhead

First Grade
The Bulldogs have three main options (that I am aware of) with the five-eighth position, being; Ben Barba, Ben Roberts, and Kris Keating.

Barba and Roberts are very good attacking halves, and Keating paired with Hodkinson (they played together when they were juniors) is a good combination. However, each of them has some large weaknesses (Barba's size, Roberts inconsistency, Keating's mentality) that may leave the Bulldogs in a tough position. Whilst Barba will most likely play fullback, I am guessing Keating would be the better starting five-eighth with Roberts off the bench. Could go either way though; they have to hope these young halves - especially Hodkinson - can handle it.

Packy

Bench
Are Dogs fans confident of making the semis with Ben Roberts playing 5/8?

I don't think Roberts is the problem at all. He is inconsistant but if he can sort that out we are on a winner. 5/8 may not be the position we need to play him in but I am happy for him to have 1st crack.

CMUX

you are a joke thinking pearce is not predictable .

with pearce at halfback the roosters havent scored more then 12 points against the dragons

the dragons know pearce only kicks against defense he isnt going to hurt you in attack, stop the 5/8 at roosters when anasta was there and now carney

why the roosters struggle against the dragons

So what you are saying is that the dragons know it and have known it for 2 years but no one else knows it. Do you think it could possibly be that the dragons were the best side in the comp in 2010 and every team was struggling to score points against them?

Your vendetta against Pearce is ridiculous. The roosters have a good young side and are top 4 candidates for the next few years. That is not to say that they are impervious to a bad season and it may happen in 2011 but it won’t be Pearce’s fault.

Back on to the topic, the Eels are an interesting one. My historical investigations tell me that they excel in odd years 2001, 2005, 2007 and 2009 (2003 the exception), yet they are rubbish in the even years. Who am I to argue with that logic? Top 8 for the Eels!

Hutty1986

Immortal
So what you are saying is that the dragons know it and have known it for 2 years but no one else knows it. Do you think it could possibly be that the dragons were the best side in the comp in 2010 and every team was struggling to score points against them?

Your vendetta against Pearce is ridiculous. The roosters have a good young side and are top 4 candidates for the next few years. That is not to say that they are impervious to a bad season and it may happen in 2011 but it won’t be Pearce’s fault.

Back on to the topic, the Eels are an interesting one. My historical investigations tell me that they excel in odd years 2001, 2005, 2007 and 2009 (2003 the exception), yet they are rubbish in the even years. Who am I to argue with that logic? Top 8 for the Eels!

:lol: Gaba is one of the greats isn't he.

Can you imagine Bennett at training, whispering so no-one lese can hear "Now boys, don't tell anyone else but Pearce only has a kicking game. It will be our little secret!"

Spot On

Coach
Geez fellas. I'm not a wrap for Roberts at all. He may seem inconsistent - I just think he is ordinary. He has looked good on occassions when running the ball and has a nice attacking grubber when close to the line but these few flashes of brilliance only seemed to be when playing with an experienced half ie Kimmorley. I fear for the Dogs if he's running the show. They must give more ball to the centres this season.

Fairfax

Juniors
They also have a trophy and the record books forever saying 32-8.

1. Boyd
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Soward
7. Hornby

14. Stanley

That's a pretty dangerous backline. But attack isn't our gameplan and it doesn't need to be. We let the opposition choke themselves out of a contest, then put on the points. Case in point, the 2010 grand final.

I can't remember Firey. What position were you playing?

Latest posts