What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

CheG

Juniors
I think the Egan Lawton combo works really well. Lawton is a great defender and good strong runner whilst Egan is the craftier attacking option great when on the front foot.
Problem is you lose an interchange which is ok really as Karl can cover quite a few positions.

Tongue

Juniors
Is a really tough one, he burnt a lot of bridges at the club so I’m surprised they are even having a look, he tried to screw the club over big time when he left. Lucky for him Hasler is a huge fan and would hold some sway in getting him

If he signs at 300-400k then he is probably worth the gamble, proven combo with DCE and has been in great form when he can get on the park the last 18 months. Main concern would be how Schuster handles it, would hate to lose him because Foran was signed in front of him, some talk of playing Foran at 9 but I don’t think his body could handle it

Tom T, Foran, DCE, Fainu is probably the best spine in the comp, trouble is 2 battle to stay on the park and 1 is battling to stay out of jail

Foran into hooker apparently.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
We're signing good forwards, but I also need to see some genuine pace in the backs, on the wings especially.

Yeah pace would be nice, but a backline with RTS, Fus, Hiku, Aitken and Maumalo in it should go pretty good off the back of front foot ball. I've seen worse backlines than that go deep into finals

Meth

Staff member
We still have an issue with our spine.

RTS
Nikorima
Harris Tavita
Egan/Lawton

That is a world class spine member away from being a chance to win a Comp in 2021

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Its unfortunate to see people moved on from roles that they have been in for a while, but at the end of the day it hasn't been working for a long time so it is probably best for Iro and Stacey to step away and let Brown choose his own support crew.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
yeah I don't get this.

Paasi was our starting prop for the entire 2018 and 2019 seasons and I would say that he has actually earned the position of #1 prop from the 2018-2020 era.

I don't know the contract situations of course, but it seems bizarre to me to discard him for less accomplished middles like BMM/Evans/Hetherington. Particularly Evans and BMM who are also on the older side, and I doubt they came any cheaper than Paasi.

Some sort of backhanded punishment for going home?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I don't know the contract situations of course, but it seems bizarre to me to discard him for less accomplished middles like BMM/Evans/Hetherington. Particularly Evans and BMM who are also on the older side, and I doubt they came any cheaper than Paasi.

Some sort of backhanded punishment for going home?

Paasi and Evans are the same age, and BMM is only a year older.

Less accomplished? Paasi is on around 100 games, where as BMM is closer to 200 (albeit some is made up from games in ESL and not NRL) and Evans is also boasting more appearances than Paasi. Evans has also played 13 internationals (with Fiji), where as both Paasi and BMM have played for Tonga, Paasi once and BMM 11 times. I'm not quite sure how you're getting that they are less accomplished players from?

Paasi, as mentioned around 100m per game, not sure on our new boys but Paasi isn't exactly a 'big' loss

I do see your point that Evans and BMM are likely on more coin, but that's something we won't know.

CheG

Juniors
I just don't think Paasi offers as much in terms of Defence (speed and retreat + lateral) lacks footwork , has an offload ( I think) and can 0lay some ball.
But imo. Our new guys offer a but more.
Passi runs hard but I think he ( and afoa) are just a bit vanilla.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

'Iro has a passion for pathways and development'.

The greatest failure of our club in the last 10 years has been exactly that. Pathways and development.

I feel bad for Paasi and Herbert. Both have been meaningful contributors to us. Herbert really seemed to be hitting his straps before getting injured. I'm of the belief we are better to keep both of those guys, unless they get big offers elsewhere obviously

Meth

Staff member
Iro has had a surprisingly long run.

I am actually all for a bit of a clean out of support staff when a new coach arrives. Should be expected, as much as possible. Still can’t get over McFadden running the water after he was replaced as coach.

Disappointed that we couldn’t do something for Herbert and Paasi. I can’t really remember Paasi putting in a bad performance for us.

Leber

Bench
This is a bit dumb. Herbert is solid. Theres a place in the squad for Paasi and Afoa.

If we are looking to offload, I'd rather get rid of Tevaga and Papali, Keep Paasi and Afoa and play BMM at 13.

Latest posts