What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Meth

Staff member
To your earlier point, I don't think anyone has actually defended the double standard have they?

And as I noted earlier I don't really think they should be conflated. Folau has proved in earlier employment that he can't be trusted. If I proved to be an untrustworthy employee in my current role and prospective employers didn't employ me because of it then fair enough. Same with Folau, regardless of what his specific beliefs are.

I would say the majority of people don’t see there being a double standard or they don’t see it being an issue

we are in agreement re his employability

Dufty or Drinkwater for me if they want to buy someone to replace RTS.
Both have awesome upsides.
However we should just go in-house and promote Turner or Berry to fullback. Leave the money for an excellent hooker to back up Egan (Now Lawton is down for the time being) also halves.

No more forwards unless it's a good No.9

Penrose_11

Juniors
CNK for me. All his whanau live in NZ and he never wanted to leave in first place but more that club management at the time showed him the door. He’s on bit over $300k at Raiders, so we could certainly offer him an upgrade without breaking the bank. His manager would be crazy not to be sniffing out any opportunities.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I didn’t think Hughes seemed that effective at fb for the storm, maybe this is all a clever ruse to throw people off the that were gunna try and get rid of Kodi at the end of the year

JJ

Immortal
Hughes is probably the classic Storm type, and CNK probably enjoys being competitive, if we start doing that maybe he’d look at it

To your earlier point, I don't think anyone has actually defended the double standard have they?

And as I noted earlier I don't really think they should be conflated. Folau has proved in earlier employment that he can't be trusted. If I proved to be an untrustworthy employee in my current role and prospective employers didn't employ me because of it then fair enough. Same with Folau, regardless of what his specific beliefs are.

Is not employing someone based on their religious beliefs/views legal?

I thought this would be considered some form of discrimination?

Meth

Staff member
He kinda is. He has particular views about an issue that is at least partly informed by his religious beliefs. On this issue, if he was as (or more) outspoken but in support, he'd be lauded as a hero (see Pocock and Perenara). There also is the significant issue of how he responded to his employer's censures and the shifting definition of social media as public and private space. But whatever you think of his views, the alarmism of people in general is a factor.

jaseg

Juniors
No, he's not being employed due to his past actions. There's a difference.

You can *absolutely* not hire someone based on their actions.

Matua

Bench
He kinda is. He has particular views about an issue that is at least partly informed by his religious beliefs. On this issue, if he was as (or more) outspoken but in support, he'd be lauded as a hero (see Pocock and Perenara). There also is the significant issue of how he responded to his employer's censures and the shifting definition of social media as public and private space. But whatever you think of his views, the alarmism of people in general is a factor.
No he's not, not kinda at all. He's not being employed because he can't be trusted on social media etc.

Religion doesn't give you a free pass to stay stuff that would offend a prospective employer and make them less likely to employ you. I can find passages from the bible that justify racism, you wouldn't expect a prospective employer to have to hire me because it's discrimination to not hire me because of my religious racism.

JJ

Immortal
No, he's not being employed due to his past actions. There's a difference.

You can *absolutely* not hire someone based on their actions.
Sure, but then I have a real uneasiness with some is the twats the NRL will happily hire given what they’ve done, whereas Folau tweets and talks... they punch, kick, sexually assault etc etc

Guess I’m getting old, but I’d rather read a stupid tweet (even be offended by one) than have my home invaded, my head stomped etc

JJ

Immortal
No he's not, not kinda at all. He's not being employed because he can't be trusted on social media etc.

Religion doesn't give you a free pass to stay stuff that would offend a prospective employer and make them less likely to employ you. I can find passages from the bible that justify racism, you wouldn't expect a prospective employer to have to hire me because it's discrimination to not hire me because of my religious racism.
All true, but if you were employing someone and had to employ Folau, Lodge, Packer or De Belin, would Folau really be the first one ruled out?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
All true, but if you were employing someone and had to employ Folau, Lodge, Packer or De Belin, would Folau really be the first one ruled out?

I'd employ Packer over Folau because he's demonstrably reformed. Lodge not so sure. Wouldn't touch De Bellin until his case is finished.

Reactions: JJ

Matua

Bench
Why would I have to employ one of them? I'll happily not employ any of them. ;)

But if I had to then I'd probably go with Spacemonkey's reasoning.

On a personal level I wouldn't want to employ Folau as I think his type of bigotry, and the use of religion to protect it is particularly disgusting, but on a professional level I wouldn't because we know his word is worthless and he's a risk to an employer because of this.

JJ

Immortal
Why would I have to employ one of them? I'll happily not employ any of them. ;)

But if I had to then I'd probably go with Spacemonkey's reasoning.

On a personal level I wouldn't want to employ Folau as I think his type of bigotry, and the use of religion to protect it is particularly disgusting, but on a professional level I wouldn't because we know his word is worthless and he's a risk to an employer because of this.
Hypothetical...

They’re all problems imo, I don’t know how to make sense of it, but I do have a problem with a blanket NRL ban on him and apparently only him...

Matua

Bench
Hypothetical...

They’re all problems imo, I don’t know how to make sense of it, but I do have a problem with a blanket NRL ban on him and apparently only him...
Haven't other players had blanket bans? Carney and Barba?

Meth

Staff member
I don't really have any more energy or enthusiasm for this conversation tbh.

Nothing against any of you. I just feel like I've had it a lot.

Last edited:

WellsNZ

Juniors
For a long time many religions believed (and some people still do believe) that black skin is a curse ala The Curse of Ham.

If a player came out on Instagram and said all black people are cursed, and then hid behind but but but my religion, nobody would tolerate it. Nobody would be up in arms about his religious rights, we'd all understand that it's 2021 and you can't be saying dopey shit like black people are cursed on social media in this job, whether you believe it or not.

But with the gays it's fine for some apparently.