What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Matua

Bench
Me neither, but I do find it interesting that the likes of JDB, Lodge, Packer et al are preferable to someone who openly shares his religious beliefs...

more surprised by Smith, although I’m in the minority that likes Egan... Smith is a terrific forward whether he plays 9 or not
I think it's more down to after Lodge and Packer served their time, will they happily follow a contract and all the stipulations within it? Probably?

Will Folau? No. We have evidence he wont. He's a risky proposition for a club and the game. It's not really about what each of them did.

Don't take this as me agreeing with Lodge, Packer etc walking back into the game ... I'd happily ban any player who bashed their missus too.

Big Marn

Juniors
seems to be a lot of faith in Egan remaining uninjured the whole season. Who do we have if he goes down? Jazz plays hooker reluctantly and is delivery is too slow.

JJ

Immortal
I think it's more down to after Lodge and Packer served their time, will they happily follow a contract and all the stipulations within it? Probably?

Will Folau? No. We have evidence he wont. He's a risky proposition for a club and the game. It's not really about what each of them did.

Don't take this as me agreeing with Lodge, Packer etc walking back into the game ... I'd happily ban any player who bashed their missus too.
Lodge hasn’t served time has he... stuff em all but plenty of religious types share Folau’s views but not his courage or stupidity to voice them

Matua

Bench
Lodge hasn’t served time has he... stuff em all but plenty of religious types share Folau’s views but not his courage or stupidity to voice them
I think his "time" was compensation for the victims?

JJ

Immortal
I think his "time" was compensation for the victims?
Ok, don’t recall... but IMO by comparison with Folau pretty inexcusable... I disagree with him completely but he’s allowed to voice stupid opinions

Matua

Bench
Ok, don’t recall... but IMO by comparison with Folau pretty inexcusable... I disagree with him completely but he’s allowed to voice stupid opinions
They're two different things so aren't really comparable.

Folau agreed to not voice his stupid opinions, then did it anyway, that makes him a risk as an employee.

Meth

Staff member
I generally don't buy the defence of the NRL's double standard. They've readily been much more lenient and forgiving of people who've done worse things than Folau did.

I do agree with the more sophisticated point- he's a high risk employee and it'd just be bad business to put him on the roster these days.

JJ

Immortal
I generally don't buy the defence of the NRL's double standard. They've readily been much more lenient and forgiving of people who've done worse things than Folau did.

I do agree with the more sophisticated point- he's a high risk employee and it'd just be bad business to put him on the roster these days.
Think you’re spot on

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

the issue with lenience and forgiveness for Folau is you generally only forgive people who are repentant and Folau clearly isn’t. I’m pretty sure Lodge or Packer thoroughly regret their past sins.

Meth

Staff member
the issue with lenience and forgiveness for Folau is you generally only forgive people who are repentant and Folau clearly isn’t. I’m pretty sure Lodge or Packer thoroughly regret their past sins.

Yes, but what Lodge and Packer did was much worse.

Folau just holds a belief that is still pretty commonly held (especially in the Pakifika community) and has only very recently become so unpopular. And he posted in on his social media, confusing the private and public space.

Lodge and Packer committed actual crimes. Folau did not.

Meth

Staff member
Again, I wouldn't hire Folau because

a) he's a liability as an employee
b) he's way too polarising and you risk alienating fans and sponsors
c) he's 31 and he's not really that good any more

Hard pass

Meth

Staff member
I can guarantee that there would be players at the Warriors who would hold similar social views as him though.

Reactions: JJ

Meth

Staff member
But have the sense not to broadcast them maybe?

Yeah, sure. But think about that for a second. It's ok (or at least, permissible) to think something. It's ok to firmly believe it. It's just not ok to say it. I don't know. Seems weird to me. Although, I get it from an employment perspective now, more than I did 6 months ago.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, sure. But think about that for a second. It's ok (or at least, permissible) to think something. It's ok to firmly believe it. It's just not ok to say it. I don't know. Seems weird to me. Although, I get it from an employment perspective now, more than I did 6 months ago.
Broader issue is who defines what views it’s appropriate to express... slippery slopes...

Wouldn’t employ him either, but his view is out there, and in my view it’s incredibly stupid... I’m happier in a world where we can both express those views

Meth

Staff member
Folau is not very bright and a religious extremist. He goes beyond the views of the average Christian.

It's problematic that his views have the potential to be damaging for the wellbeing of vulnerable people. But yes, slippery slope and littered with nonsense and inconsistiences

SmashEmBro

Juniors
No way would we get an absolute star like Paps. Manu would command big coin and would be a massive what if...so again I wouldn’t be too keen on that.

I don’t think we’ll get Drinkwater either, unless Kodi indicates he’s not going to be around in 2022, as I think Drinkwater is fancied more as a half.

I can see us signing Dufty to be honest. Nearly signed here last time, he’s quite disgruntled with the Dragons atm too. Good mate Aiken is already here. That’s my guess.

Just had a look at Dufty’s stats, seems to have more tries, line breaks, try assists (less run meters, slightly less tackle breaks) and more errors than Roger in the last 3 years, and had 8 forced drop outs last year, so there’s quite a lot of upside, considering you would think he would be earning less than half of what Roger is on. All that in a worse team than what we’ve had.

JJ

Immortal
Doubt it too, but IMO RTS, Price and Harris were all absolute stars, so too was Tomkins in theory

Matua

Bench
Yes, but what Lodge and Packer did was much worse.

Folau just holds a belief that is still pretty commonly held (especially in the Pakifika community) and has only very recently become so unpopular. And he posted in on his social media, confusing the private and public space.

Lodge and Packer committed actual crimes. Folau did not.
To your earlier point, I don't think anyone has actually defended the double standard have they?

And as I noted earlier I don't really think they should be conflated. Folau has proved in earlier employment that he can't be trusted. If I proved to be an untrustworthy employee in my current role and prospective employers didn't employ me because of it then fair enough. Same with Folau, regardless of what his specific beliefs are.

Latest posts