What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Diesel

Referee
Great signing. The Broncos are a sinking ship right now. I guess we’re going after a big named half

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Nice signing. Three way fight between Perham/berry/this dude for the 1 jersey next year.

The way some of the stories read about this guy, it sounds like there’s not going to be much of a fight at all.

Have to say though, while I am a fan of Egan, a spine of him, Kodi, CHT and newbie does not instil fear into many opposition.

Kinda excited tho, if we haven’t spent overs for this guy it means that we still have a shit load of $$ to spend

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Talks are it’s about 400k a year, lots of frustrated Broncos fans upset we’ve snagged one of their best shining lights. Sound very promising..

waipiro

Juniors
A lot of talk about us paying too much for an uncapped teenager but interesting comments from Scott Sattler who has seen a fair bit of Walsh.

Former Queensland Origin lock Scott Sattler has watched Walsh in his role as Channel Nine’s expert commentator on the Intrust Super Cup and likens the teenage flyer to Storm fullback legend Slater.

“Reece Walsh is going to be an NRL sensation. He is the closest thing I have seen to Billy Slater,” he said.

“He has amazing speed and blinding acceleration and a similar running style to Billy.

“I first saw Reece playing for Keebra Park when he was 15. He just had this beautiful deception and awareness for the game. He didn’t mind contact and he covers a lot of territory at the back. Returning the ball, he would pick up top speed in three or four metres.

“Karmichael Hunt made his debut at 17 for the Broncos and he had some amazing attributes, but I reckon Reece has more at the same age.

“He is a fully-fledged fullback and I believe he is good enough to be playing NRL this year.”

Well worth the punt of 450k per year given the money decent fullbacks command in the NRL. I reckon he will be worth double that in 3 years time when his next contract comes around....

waipiro

Juniors
The interesting thing will now be what we do with Turner.....In the halves for Kodi in a year or two?
By then CHT has a few years under the belt.....may be sooner rather than later if Kodi doesnt take up his option. Or Kodi to hooker?

Leber

Bench
400k isn’t terrible for a rookie considering he’s a fullback and very well rated. The broncos should have been able to match that surely.

Need to use some of the extra coin now to get us a hooker

Big Marn

Juniors
small sample size in that video but had some good attributes. speed off the mark, elusiveness, a fend, and looks to have a good long pass in him. Kind of reminded me of SJ abit.

TheDMC

Bench
small sample size in that video but had some good attributes. speed off the mark, elusiveness, a fend, and looks to have a good long pass in him. Kind of reminded me of SJ abit.

Different physique, but he has a bit of Ryan Papenhuyzen about him - how he leans forward to accelerate...instant running intent, head forward and go...
This is an exciting signing. I'm kinda glad we didn't go after Dufty - awesome runner in space but gets pretty monstered trying to get off his one line. Plus to get him or another established full-back we would have to pay overs. If this Walsh fella hits the ground running as an NRL quality fullback from next season, then at 400k or so, regardless of being a rookie, we have done very good business.

His name is exceedingly bland for a fullback though, which could be a problem :)

AJ Brimson
Clint Gutherson
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Ryan Papenhuyzen
James Tedesco

and

Reece Walsh

JJ

Immortal
Different physique, but he has a bit of Ryan Papenhuyzen about him - how he leans forward to accelerate...instant running intent, head forward and go...
This is an exciting signing. I'm kinda glad we didn't go after Dufty - awesome runner in space but gets pretty monstered trying to get off his one line. Plus to get him or another established full-back we would have to pay overs. If this Walsh fella hits the ground running as an NRL quality fullback from next season, then at 400k or so, regardless of being a rookie, we have done very good business.

His name is exceedingly bland for a fullback though, which could be a problem :)

AJ Brimson
Clint Gutherson
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Ryan Papenhuyzen
James Tedesco

and

Reece Walsh
and you forgot Tommy T, Latrell and Charnze... think you're onto something there, Turner was always going to battle lol...

Hope we can find a spot for them both, two exciting young talents... FMD, am I getting excited about the future despite losing RTS?

Big Marn

Juniors

AJ Brimson
Clint Gutherson
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Ryan Papenhuyzen
James Tedesco

and

Reece Walsh
How about Reece Lightning for a nick name. :)

SmashEmBro

Juniors
So, current spine next year is looking like Walsh, CHT, Kodi and Egan.

We’ve got big money to spend, and with our backs and forwards looking okay, IMO we have to spend it on the spine.

We've just signed Walsh, and IMO Kodi is a decent running half, and about as good as any of the number 2 halves in the comp (stats very similar to Cody Walker, Jarome Hughes, Jack Wighton, Dylan Brown, Jarome Luai etc).

So for me, we either need to bolster hooker or a kicking half. We’ve had a look earlier at the halves available, with really only SJ, Pearce, or Reynolds the only established dominant halves available. And even then, there’s very little chance of any of these three.

Hooker - Egan is touted for big things, but questions over him being able to handle 80 week in week out. There’s no decent hookers off contract end of this year, with only Brandon Smith the only decent one who MAY become available, and even then it seems he doesn’t want to come here. Players like Tom Starling could pop up, if he continues to get no game time, but even then it’s not a big name, just a lot of promise with a younger guy.

Have to say though, with the recent signings we’ve made last year, this year and resigning of Tohu, things are looking great moving forward. I feel we’re one good halfback away from really having a good dig at a top 4 spot next year

TheDMC

Bench
and you forgot Tommy T, Latrell and Charnze... think you're onto something there, Turner was always going to battle lol...

Hope we can find a spot for them both, two exciting young talents... FMD, am I getting excited about the future despite losing RTS?

I couldn't figure out how to spell Tommy T's surname so I left it at that.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I think it’s crap aye.
I reckon he’s been told to bulk up as he’ll be mainly playing back row or off the bench at dummy half, then Grants gotten injured and he gets chucked in an expected to play the full game.

Brandon spoke about the difference in weight he’s expected to be in regards to the different positions (about 8 or 9kg I think). A bit rough to change a guys whole game in about 3 weeks notice and then complain when he doesn’t do it...

JJ

Immortal
I think it’s crap aye.
I reckon he’s been told to bulk up as he’ll be mainly playing back row or off the bench at dummy half, then Grants gotten injured and he gets chucked in an expected to play the full game.

Brandon spoke about the difference in weight he’s expected to be in regards to the different positions (about 8 or 9kg I think). A bit rough to change a guys whole game in about 3 weeks notice and then complain when he doesn’t do it...
Yeah interesting... he does look a bit puffy but I don’t think he’ll ever look jacked