What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do you think should be coaching the eels next season????

Who do you think should be coaching the eels next season????

• Brian SMITH

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dean PAY

• Chris ANDERSON

• Alan WILSON

• Peter STERLING

• Jason TAYLOR

• Phil GOULD

• Ivan MILAT

• John CARTWRIGHT

• Ian MILLWARD

• Other - please specify

• Total voters

booeycollector

Juniors
I was a Smith fan but I think his time is up. I think Dean PAY should be our coach next year. What do you guys think?

The Colonel

Immortal
I'd like to think long term that Dean Pay will come and coach us however I'd like to see him with more experience first. Ian Millward is looking for a job and John Cartwright has runs on the board as an assistant in the NRL.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
He won't because of his TV role but P. Sterling is the best tactician that this game has ever had. He makes Gould look like the fool he is. But that will never happen so I don't know who else to pick.

Eelectrica

Referee
JT for rest of the year on trial. If works out give him a 1 year contract with an 2nd year option.
If the JT experiment doesn't work, bring Cartwright in for next year. Allow him to retain or fire Smiths assistants as he sees fit.

Cartwright took over from Ricky while he was on country duty and the roosters shut out the tigers.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I like to see Stirlo, and you watch how quick how would walk away from Fatty and Co if he got the offer. He is keen I know that for a fact.

But Fitzy will have to go first.

fish eel

Immortal
Sterlos coaching credentials are?????

It takes more than a football brain to be a coach, ask wally lewis

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I'd love to have Dean Pay back, to work on the forwards, look what happened to the Roosters in 2002.

JT would be good to work on the backs.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
fish eel said:

Smithy's achievments are??????

Stirlo has a footy brain, that's why I belive he can do the job.

fish eel

Immortal

He has got a better coaching record than Sterlo.

Yes, I know Sterlo has got a great footy brain, but it takes more than that to make a coach.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
fish eel said:

It takes more than a football brain to be a coach, ask wally lewis

Wally Lewis does not have the ability to dissect a game like the little general.

On a side note I am pissed off that Adam Dykes appears to have stolen Sterling's nickname.

Tiger Barn

Juniors
What credentials did Ricky Stuart have?

Peter Sterling would be a great coach and I believe he would jump at the chance. He has a very good football brain and is right up to the style the modern game brings. He would definately add a new dimension to the EELS.

That way he might tip the EELS to win. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you don't mind me commenting, being from Wee Waa I like to follow whats happening at the EELS, even though a couple of the local players have left.

fish eel

Immortal
Ricky Stuart did some lower grade work, winning a comp at the bulldogs.

On a side note I am pissed off that Adam Dykes appears to have stolen Sterling's nickname.

Yeah....I noticed that on the weekend as well.

The other week the ground announcer referred to Brian Smith as 'supercoach'. His got game our ground announcer.....hardly accuse him of playing it safe by backing the crowd favourites :lol: :lol:

Unreal V

Juniors
We should also be asking the question who appart from Smith needs to be replaced. I can't see the value of Reddy or JT. Surely these guys have to share some of the blame. Dean Pay to replace Reddy. Sterling to replace JT (part time job gets to keep his gig on channel 9) and let Smith take the credit for the change in attitude.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
fish eel said:

He has got a better coaching record than Sterlo.

Yes, I know Sterlo has got a great footy brain, but it takes more than that to make a coach.

No shit Sherlock, same can be said for Meninga, Cronin, Hilditch the list goes on. I wasn't born yesterday.

How many premierships has Smith won. None.

The same as Stirlo and he has never coached.

And you say Smith is more successfull.

We want a lot more that your acceptance of success, or should I say mediocrity.

fish eel

Immortal
Who is 'Stirlo'?

Perhaps we are talking about different people ;-)

You brought Smith into this debate, not me, but having said that, if the choice of coach came down to just between Brian Smith or Peter Sterling, I'd go for Smithy. If sterlo was to come here part time iniatlly, as somebody suggested that'd be great, but to throw him straight into an NRL hotseat? Your kidding. Thats one hell of a big ask.

In fact, Sterling would be well down on my list of possible replacements, behind probably all those on the above list.....although I'd take Sterlo ahead of Alan Wilson.

Redback71

First Grade
id like sterlo but that wont happen so i picked Jt but id still want smith there in some kind of way

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Tiger Barn said:
What credentials did Ricky Stuart have?

Peter Sterling would be a great coach and I believe he would jump at the chance. He has a very good football brain and is right up to the style the modern game brings. He would definately add a new dimension to the EELS.

That way he might tip the EELS to win. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you don't mind me commenting, being from Wee Waa I like to follow whats happening at the EELS, even though a couple of the local players have left.
Is that you Jamie?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
fish eel said:
Who is 'Stirlo'?

Perhaps we are talking about different people ;-)

You brought Smith into this debate, not me, but having said that, if the choice of coach came down to just between Brian Smith or Peter Sterling, I'd go for Smithy. If sterlo was to come here part time iniatlly, as somebody suggested that'd be great, but to throw him straight into an NRL hotseat? Your kidding. Thats one hell of a big ask.

In fact, Sterling would be well down on my list of possible replacements, behind probably all those on the above list.....although I'd take Sterlo ahead of Alan Wilson.

Sterlo may be down your list of replacements.

Thats up to you, you are obviously happy with the mediocrity that Smith has achieved.

I expect more and I belive that Sterlo can deliver more.

Coaching experience isn't everything, need I mention Ricky Stewart.