What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do you want as coach?

Which old boy do you prefer to be the next head coach?

• Total voters

My man Gasnier

Juniors
Brown did a lot of hard work but IMO was never good enough to put the icing on the cake as Bennett did, maybe now he could but not then.

Agree 100%, mate. Bennett taught the same group of players how to win. Brownie did most of the work around the roster.

St Georgio

Juniors
Didn’t like him as a player, only got his chances with big brother coaching us but I think he’s learnt his trade as a coach and would definately give him a go. I’d be rapped with us signing him. He’s a succesful coach.

But he is a pommy citizen, and has said his home is now over there.
I don't understand how being a pommy citizen would stop you from coahing an NRL team.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Agree 100%, mate. Bennett taught the same group of players how to win. Brownie did most of the work around the roster.

The same group of players? No, that’s just not correct. Brown didn’t enjoy the luxury of having Smith (arguably the MOTM on grand final day, 2010), Weyman, Costigan and Fien.

Of course (and perhaps most tellingly), he didn’t have a match winning, ball playing fullback either (Boyd). Instead, Brown had Greenshields at the back.

That’s a fair difference, don’t you think?

My man Gasnier

Juniors
The same group of players? No, that’s just not correct. Brown didn’t enjoy the luxury of having Smith (arguably the MOTM on grand final day, 2010), Weyman, Costigan and Fien.

Of course (and perhaps most tellingly), he didn’t have a match winning, ball playing fullback either (Boyd). Instead, Brown had Greenshields at the back.

That’s a fair difference, don’t you think?

12 of the 17 players that took the field that night were from the Brownie era. So I'd say yes the same group of players is a fair assessment.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I voted Brown. I really do like the idea of him coming back and coaching us in the future.

Skull has currently got 3 votes. Just imagine Skull as our coach. lol I think he would take the job if offered. I think he would train them pretty hard and I think he would instruct our players to play dirty. He would definitely have a wrestling coach, probably two. For any of those who don't know, back in the 80's, Skull used to yell out from his tree for our players to do wrestling moves on opposition players. I distinctly remember his yelling out suplex him, on many occasions. He also attends or at least used to attend wrestling events in Sydney. The after game interviews would also be pretty interesting. lol

ouryears

Bench
Brownie did all the hard work, mate. Your man Bennett just had to lift a trophy.
I think it took more than just that. Brownie did develop and nurture many great juniors, but it took a coach in Wayne to bring along a few key players as in Costigan,Smith, and Boyd and also get the team to believe. Some of the finals losses under Brownie were horrific. Especially the drubbings by Manly and the Tigers in 2 different years. Also the loss to panthers when we came 4th in the minor premiership but still went out in week 1, as back then the 2 lowest ranked losing teams were out in week one, amazingly coming 4th did not save us due to several upsets that weekend. Tragic.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think it took more than just that. Brownie did develop and nurture many great juniors, but it took a coach in Wayne to bring along a few key players as in Costigan,Smith, and Boyd and also get the team to believe. Some of the finals losses under Brownie were horrific. Especially the drubbings by Manly and the Tigers in 2 different years. Also the loss to panthers when we came 4th in the minor premiership but still went out in week 1, as back then the 2 lowest ranked losing teams were out in week one, amazingly coming 4th did not save us due to several upsets that weekend. Tragic.
The year we got knocked out by Penrith. I am pretty sure that we came 5th in the minor premiership, because we played Penrith at Penrith Park, I was there. Then 2 of the teams that finished higher than us got beat and we got knocked out. I was shattered.

ouryears

Bench
The year we got knocked out by Penrith. I am pretty sure that we came 5th in the minor premiership, because we played Penrith at Penrith Park, I was there. Then 2 of the teams that finished higher than us got beat and we got knocked out. I was shattered.
Spot on Frank, when we got beat, I think by one point after Penrith ran riot in the first half, I thought 2 teams from 6, 7 or 8 would lose, I was shattered when we realised it was over. Soft Defence back then, but we could score points!!