What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who does everyone hate on souths?

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I'd pin Bunniesman as a Telecrap journo whose been bored over the off season, but his grammar is too sharp.

But yeah, definitely a troll. If he isn't then its no wonder he posts so much, because he'd be f**king unbearable in real life and void of mates.

skeepe

Immortal
Greatest legal squad of the salary cap era, no arguments.

Actually, this is the greatest legal squad of the salary cap era:

1. Brett Mullins
2. Ken Nagas
3. Mal Meninga
4. Ruben Wiki
5. Noa Nadruku
6. Laurie Daley
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Quentin Pongia
9. Steve Walters
10. John Lomax
11. David Furner
12. Jason Croker
13. Bradley Clyde

Paul Osborne
Brett Hetherington
Matthew Wood
David Westley
David Boyle
Jason Death
Michael Maguire
Bruce Mamando
Albert Fulivai
Salesi Finau
Steve Stone
Roger Kenworthy

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'd pin Bunniesman as a Telecrap journo whose been bored over the off season, but his grammar is too sharp.
No telecrap journo is a souths fan. The only way you can get a job with the DT is if you're a member of the Hate Souths fanclub.
But yeah, definitely a troll. If he isn't then its no wonder he posts so much, because he'd be f**king unbearable in real life and void of mates.
Nope not a troll. Most of my friends are back in the city visiting family and my girlfriends works most afternoons and evenings (that's why I'm rarely on in the morning) so I get bored. Just wait until uni holidays are over in a few weeks and I'm not on as much as now. I'll be missed.

thommo4pm

Coach
We were equal 3rd after 13 rounds, so terrible luck with injuries (not just the total number of injuries, but their severity and the fact that it was key player after key player getting injured) + a bad defense is why we missed the 8.

Our defense has been made our #1 priority of the off season. We're unlikely to have the same terrible luck with injuries. And most of our best players are in their early 20s, they're all rapidly improving and with another year under their belt they will be much better this year.

And then there's the addition to last year's squad of a certain superstar named Greg.

Read above

Typical ignorant anti-souths comment. Look at how many tries our outside backs scored last year, Inglis is obviously a vastly superior talent to them all, so he should do even better. Our attack was never the problem, and it has been made even better now with GI.

As for our defense, that's a team effort and with it being made a priority in the off season, I'm expecting a big improvement on that end. An improved defense combined with our 2010 attack + a years experience to our key players + GI is the recipe for the 2011 premiers.

So you can see my confidence in our chances this year isn't something I just woke up with one day and decided "Souths will be premiers this year and that's that". There is a logic and reasoning behind it.

Please mate, GI is not the answer for you.
Your forwards don't do the hard work and are lazy in defence.
You scored points against sides when it didn't matter.

Souths will go to Inglis all the time, and good defensive sides will shut him down.
If you think Sandow compares to Cronk then you are completely deluded.
Slater and Wesser on the same level also???

You have had the same core group of players for quite a few years, you over rate Taylor far too much.
Luke is a quality player no doubt but will be heavily guarded this year.

Inglis might be a better talent than all the guys you had last year, but he doesn't have the passion for Souths that someone like Champion did.

You had some injuries in the back end of the year, shows you have no depth and proves it takes more than a handful of players to make the 8 and beyond. What depth have you got for this year?
You've signed Inglis, Burgess & Taylor who are going to screw you over salary cap wise in the next few years.

And given your 20's made the GF last year, you can bet that side will be torn apart also.

Hutty1986

Immortal

1. Brett Mullins
2. Ken Nagas
3. Mal Meninga
4. Ruben Wiki
5. Noa Nadruku
6. Laurie Daley
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Quentin Pongia
9. Steve Walters
10. John Lomax
11. David Furner
12. Jason Croker
13. Bradley Clyde

Paul Osborne
Brett Hetherington
Matthew Wood
David Westley
David Boyle
Jason Death
Michael Maguire
Bruce Mamando
Albert Fulivai
Salesi Finau
Steve Stone
Roger Kenworthy

Jeeeeesus, what a footy side!!

thommo4pm

Coach

1. Brett Mullins
2. Ken Nagas
3. Mal Meninga
4. Ruben Wiki
5. Noa Nadruku
6. Laurie Daley
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Quentin Pongia
9. Steve Walters
10. John Lomax
11. David Furner
12. Jason Croker
13. Bradley Clyde

Paul Osborne
Brett Hetherington
Matthew Wood
David Westley
David Boyle
Jason Death
Michael Maguire
Bruce Mamando
Albert Fulivai
Salesi Finau
Steve Stone
Roger Kenworthy

That would be hard to argue with.
Possibly only a Brisbane squad from the early - mid 90's could better it.

gronkathon

First Grade
methadone_clinic.tif

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

1. Brett Mullins
2. Ken Nagas
3. Mal Meninga
4. Ruben Wiki
5. Noa Nadruku
6. Laurie Daley
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Quentin Pongia
9. Steve Walters
10. John Lomax
11. David Furner
12. Jason Croker
13. Bradley Clyde

Paul Osborne
Brett Hetherington
Matthew Wood
David Westley
David Boyle
Jason Death
Michael Maguire
Bruce Mamando
Albert Fulivai
Salesi Finau
Steve Stone
Roger Kenworthy

Hard to argue. I can't split the 90 & 94 Raiders as the best team I have seen. f**k they were awesome. I was young in 1990 and old enough to get blind in 1994, so GF day memories are hazy, but both sides were just f**king amazing for pure ability, speed and ball play. The 1990 squad had Belcher, who was replaced by Mullins in 94.......WTF! Whose the better out of those two? Both champions.

You lose Brent Todd and Lazarus and get Pongia and Lomax. Golden era for Canberra.

Maybe the Broncos of 92 & they also did it the hard way in 93. Manly in 96 were the best defensive side I've seen and I'll throw my Dragons in there from last year as equal with them.

EDIT - You said legal squad, which the 1990 side was found not be. So yeah, clearly the 94 team is the best legal side.

skeepe

Immortal
That would be hard to argue with.
Possibly only a Brisbane squad from the early - mid 90's could better it.

Personally I think their late 90s squads were better than their early 90s. Look at their 1997 grand final team:

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Michael De Vere
3. Steve Renouf
4. Anthony Mundine
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Kevin Walters
7. Allan Langer
8. Brad Thorn
9. Andrew Gee
10. Shane Webcke
11. Gorden Tallis
12. Peter Ryan
13. Darren Smith

14. John Plath
15. Tonie Carroll
16. Michael Hancock
17. Ben Walker (always 1 nuffie in every team for the Broncos - eg Phillip Lee in 98, Harvey Howard in 2000, Shane Perry in 2006)

BunniesMan

Immortal
The haters can hate, it's their right. But as Sam Burgess aka the world's greatest forward said, we're going to let our footy do the talking this year, and bloody hell is it going to do a lot of talking.

Eels Dude

Coach

1. Brett Mullins
2. Ken Nagas
3. Mal Meninga
4. Ruben Wiki
5. Noa Nadruku
6. Laurie Daley
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Quentin Pongia
9. Steve Walters
10. John Lomax
11. David Furner
12. Jason Croker
13. Bradley Clyde

Paul Osborne
Brett Hetherington
Matthew Wood
David Westley
David Boyle
Jason Death
Michael Maguire
Bruce Mamando
Albert Fulivai
Salesi Finau
Steve Stone
Roger Kenworthy

Legal eh... Were not Canberra busted for breaching the cap in the early 90's. Even if it were the '94 side, it was still assembled illegally, much like the Dogs 2004 premiership winning side.

Eels Dude

Coach

Well he has informed us that he has a girlfriend who forces him to buy her presents in exchange for sleeping with him.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Well he has informed us that he has a girlfriend who forces him to buy her presents in exchange for sleeping with him.
I did not say that. I choose to get her nice things because I happen to like her. And she chooses to have sex with me because she happens to like me...and I'm fantastic in bed. Her getting presents and me getting sex are not linked to each other.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Legal eh... Were not Canberra busted for breaching the cap in the early 90's. Even if it were the '94 side, it was still assembled illegally, much like the Dogs 2004 premiership winning side.
We have a winner. fmd, eels dude with a good post...

thommo4pm

Coach
Personally I think their late 90s squads were better than their early 90s. Look at their 1997 grand final team:

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Michael De Vere
3. Steve Renouf
4. Anthony Mundine
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Kevin Walters
7. Allan Langer
8. Brad Thorn
9. Andrew Gee
10. Shane Webcke
11. Gorden Tallis
12. Peter Ryan
13. Darren Smith

14. John Plath
15. Tonie Carroll
16. Michael Hancock
17. Ben Walker (always 1 nuffie in every team for the Broncos - eg Phillip Lee in 98, Harvey Howard in 2000, Shane Perry in 2006)

It's very close mate. The side you have listed is all class.
The early 90's for the Broncos, I think their wingers were probably better than De Vere. Carne & Hancock were both quality players and in their prime. The forwards in the early 90's were also extremely strong with the likes of Lazarus, Gee & Cann among others.

Pete Cash

Post Whore

lol yeah nice revisionist history. The Raiders assembled their squad legally and only an utter cretin would believe they were an illegal side.

BunniesMan

Immortal
lol yeah nice revisionist history. The Raiders assembled their squad legally and only an utter cretin would believe they were an illegal side.
lol :crazy::crazy::crazy:. mate it's not "revisionist" history when that's exactly how the history happened.

Latest posts