What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who else loves the Commonwealth Games?

1986 results:
Medals Won
Gold Silver Bronze Total
Australia 40 46 35 121

Canada 51 35 31 117

England 52 43 49 144

I'm not very good at this cut and paste, but the site I posted in the previous post has medal results for each Games.

CycloneSteve

Juniors
c_eagle said:
CanadianSteve said:

Australia finished 3rd! I feel so dirty.

The 70's was a bad time for us in the sporting arena, only winning a couple of golds in the olympics for the entire decade.

Yeah it was. After our dismal failure in the 1976 Olympics the Aussie Government decided to create a national institute where we could train elite athletes and get them up to international standard. Thats how the AIS was born folks. And how much differnece has it made. Since then we have been getting better and better when competing on the world stage. Maybe countries like England need to put more money into elite sports programs.
However the one thing that still baffles me is the fact we are hopeless when it comes to Athletics. Sure we have the odd person come out and win a medal or two. But its nothing like swimming or cycling where we have dominated for a good amount of time.

***MH***

Bench
how come there isn't cricket at the commonwealth games??? im sure they had in in manchester....

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
CycloneSteve said:
Sure we have the odd person come out and win a medal or two. But its nothing like swimming or cycling where we have dominated for a good amount of time.
I can see a way to fix that. Open our borders to refugees from Suub-Saharan Africa, we'll be sorted in a deceade or so! :lol:

***MH***

Bench
cricket was in the 98 kuala lumpur games where south africa pipped australia by four wickets, new zealand getting bronze over sri lanka.

but it wasn't competed in 2002. das ist veird!

GB Lion

Juniors
The reason England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland compete seperately at the Soccer World Cup is because when they registered with FIFA ages ago they registered as England, Wales etc.

FIFA dont recognise a "Great Britain" as a International team.

they should have 20/20 cricket at the CG

t-ba

Post Whore
SpaceMonkey said:
CycloneSteve said:
Sure we have the odd person come out and win a medal or two. But its nothing like swimming or cycling where we have dominated for a good amount of time.
I can see a way to fix that. Open our borders to refugees from Suub-Saharan Africa, we'll be sorted in a deceade or so! :lol:

:lol: .
But seriously, most of the recent non-imported (Russians need not apply...) 'successes' in track and field have been of aboriginal origin. To be tremendously racist and apply a stereotype to an entire group, they're probably this nations hope in Athletics.

Anonymous

Juniors
douglasallen91 said:
***MH*** said:
how come there isn't cricket at the commonwealth games??? im sure they had in in manchester....

um no!

When you think about it, Cricket is more globally played than baseball, it has more of a claim to an olympic sport than baseball.

t-ba

Post Whore
I'd say Baseballs inclusion has alot to do with the largest nations it's played in.

The USA and Japan=$$$

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
raiders_lover_18 said:
because they would get cained in the olympics :lol:

like they did in the basket ball

can anyone tell me why the seppos wern't in the baseball

Last year's Pan-Am Games in Winnipeg were used as the Olympic baseball trials, and Cuba won and Canada came 2nd, upsetting the Yanks, so they didn't qualify. It was held in the middle of the major league baseball season (as these Olympics are) so the best American pros can't play.

There is a World Cup of baseball being planned for the spring of 2006, MLB's pre-season, where all the best players are supposed to play.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/viewtopic.php?t=36008

Wiljoy00

Juniors
NPK said:
Howcome England, Wales etc compete as separate countries in the Commonwealth games, but compete together as Great Britain in the Olympics???
Australia cannot win all the gold medals,Great Britain still stands supreme at Tiddley Winks & Ludo,I was going to put down darts,but I do beleive we have a world champion at this sport??? :) :) :)

Wiljoy00

Juniors
NPK said:
Howcome England, Wales etc compete as separate countries in the Commonwealth games, but compete together as Great Britain in the Olympics???
Australia cannot win all the gold medals,Great Britain still stands supreme at Tiddley Winks & Ludo,I was going to put down darts,but I do beleive we have a world champion at this sport??? :) :) :)

Latest posts