What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who hates Wagon?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
How about 3 years in a row of mediocrity, or to be exact, pure crap? Is that enough to base my "wags is crap" claim on?

You keep jumping back to that Cowboys game, but he's been bad since 2003, hell I don't think any other club in the NRL would have re-signed him on that kind of form.

The problem is most of the people defending him are only doing it because they have met him and know he's a good bloke. Unfortunately, being a good bloke doesn't make you a good player and Wagon is simply past his best on the field, good bloke or not. It's no coincidence that alot of the ones defending Wagon also defended Luke Burt during his horrible form.

Feleti Mateo is so much better than Wagon in every aspect of his game, he should be our starting lock in 2006. Or if not him, Robinson, Perenara and O'Dwyer should all be ahead of Wagon, but Smithy will never drop his boy so he's safe. I can only hope Hagan can look at Wagon objectively and get rid of him.

Stagger eel

Staff member
not many of us are suggesting that we should like him because he's a good bloke but no one should really like him if they don't choose to, but what gets me as the lack of respect shown to a bloke who with only 27 players in the clubs history have played more than 100 first grade games for the club.

In a nutshell, if you want to talk about the last 3 years, I can honestly say that he was one of our best in 03 including mom performances in some of the close matches we won, in 04 he held his own despite playing out of position mainly due to the incompetant performance of our halves, in 05 prior to his injury he played a role at right centre and lock and I thought was one of our more consistant performers that was sadley missed during his absence late last year.

Daniel's no glamour boy nor is he a superstar but as we touched on earlier, he's a player that all teammates would want in the trenchs with him, and that alone matters more than what alot of people think of him here.

Parra Guru

Coach
queanbeyhole hindy fan said:
I wasn't laying the blame on anyone.

But that game is over now, It's in the past, the 2006 season is what? about 7 weeks away. Bring it on! :D

Yeah I know QHF, I wasn't branding you for it, I quoted your post because I thought you wrote it well.

How about 3 years in a row of mediocrity, or to be exact, pure crap? Is that enough to base my "wags is crap" claim on?
It sure is enough. And if that's what you believe, then no worries. But I disagree.

The problem is most of the people defending him are only doing it because they have met him and know he's a good bloke. Unfortunately, being a good bloke doesn't make you a good player and Wagon is simply past his best on the field, good bloke or not. It's no coincidence that alot of the ones defending Wagon also defended Luke Burt during his horrible form.

Maybe true, I don't know, but for the record, I for one have never met Wagon in my life.
Oh and I'm not much of a Burt fan either.

Bigfella

Coach
I know everyone is keen to have juniors progress through the ranks but it is getting out of control. How anyone can say that Mateo is far better than Wagon when:

1. He has played 1-2 games in top grade off the bench
2. Spent the season in England because of attitude issues
3. Wagon's 2005 season was interrupted by injury and he played three different positions

is patently absurd. Maybe FM might be one day; perhaps he has the potential to do so - but a bloke who hasn;t started first grade being "much better" than a 150 game plus first grader, Australian rep and QLD rep?

ANd whatever the criticism of Wagon's attacking skills / workrate / efficiency (and I am critical of those aspects of his game post 2001) to bag his defence based on one or two incidents is absurd. We were gone before he missed that tackle in that match. He remains one of the best one on one tacklers I have ever seen play.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Bigfella said:
I know everyone is keen to have juniors progress through the ranks but it is getting out of control. How anyone can say that Mateo is far better than Wagon when:

1. He has played 1-2 games in top grade off the bench
2. Spent the season in England because of attitude issues
3. Wagon's 2005 season was interrupted by injury and he played three different positions

is patently absurd. Maybe FM might be one day; perhaps he has the potential to do so - but a bloke who hasn;t started first grade being "much better" than a 150 game plus first grader, Australian rep and QLD rep?

ANd whatever the criticism of Wagon's attacking skills / workrate / efficiency (and I am critical of those aspects of his game post 2001) to bag his defence based on one or two incidents is absurd. We were gone before he missed that tackle in that match. He remains one of the best one on one tacklers I have ever seen play.

my goodness im glad someone said it!!!! :clap:

bartman

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:
The problem is most of the people defending him are only doing it because they have met him and know he's a good bloke.
Never met him, don't particularly want to as I'm not into all that (and it's impossible for me anyway). But I still think he's our best choice 13 at the start of 2006.

You're entitled to your opinion as much as I am mine, but Feleti Mateo suddenly elevated to first grade? Seriously, a guy that couldn't crack Premier League last year...? Let's hope he goes OK throughout this season, but he's not going to jump Wagon for Round 1 in a million years. O'Dwyer, Perenara, and Robinson could all make goes of 13, but they have to have form on the board and earn a shot ahead of Wagon first.

Maybe they will half way through the season, but not from Round One in my book. I think this may very well be Wags last year as a starting 13 player, and he should not be selected anywhere but lock. But it's too early to elevate guys that just aren't ready or consistent enough to step into the regular role in the team alongside Hindy, Morrison etc.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I seem to recall that when Wagon played lock, Tim Smith made less tackles compared to when Robbo or Perenara played lock...

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
I seem to recall that when Wagon played lock, Tim Smith made less tackles compared to when Robbo or Perenara played lock...

but! but! you don't understand Eele!...he doesn't have the Benji Marshal sidestep, so he must be sh*t.

;-)

Eelementary

Post Whore
:lol:

I must admit - I prefer a ball-playing lock with good defence, which at this moment Wags isn't...

But in terms of protecting Timmy, he did it better than anyone else.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
In round 1 we want someone to shut down Johns. Wagon would be, by far, my number one choice to do that.

eloquentEEL said:
In round 1 we want someone to shut down Johns. Wagon would be, by far, my number one choice to do that.

The only way Wagon could do that, would be to "take him out". (Then again, that would make certain he wasnt available for any sort of selection for around 6-8weeks.)

Wagon shutting down a magician - akin to me beating Tiger Woods at golf.

:lol:

I would prefer to play any other team, than a Knights team with Joey playing in the 1st round. Joey is going to be fresh, and ready to seek some revenge for the disappointing efforts of 2005.

My question will be, do we have anyone with the ability to shut him down? I dont believe so.

To win the game, which I am certain the boys are capable of, I believe the focus needs to be on other "weak" links - not just focussed on Joey.