What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is getting the best NZ Juniors?

There's really two parts to this question:

1. Is rugby league or rugby union getting the best junior talent in NZ? In recent years we have seen a massive influx of junior talent from NZ into the NRL and a few cross code tug o' wars between junior players.

2. Which NRL clubs are getting the best juinor kiwi talent? It doesn't seem to be the Warriors, so who is it, and why?

Goleel

Juniors
The Eels generally grab a few NZ juniors every year, can't remember the last who actually took a permanent spot in the top grade, but the junior ranks are filled with kiwis.

The Bulldogs seem to have a fair few NZ juniors too, although after SBW they've had their share of kiwi talent for about 10 years i reckon.

The Colonel

Immortal
As Gol says, the Eels have a number of Kiwis in their lower grades who should start to filter through. I'd say there are about 20 kids in PL, Flegg and Ball at the moment.... some very good footballers among them.

ozjet1

The Money Box Man said:
2. Which NRL clubs are getting the best juinor kiwi talent? It doesn't seem to be the Warriors, so who is it, and why?
this is something i've thought about, not just in relation to young Kiwi talent but young RL talent as a whole.

year after year, it appears the same clubs get the best young juniors coming through the ranks - usually the cashed up clubs. i suppose these clubs are the ones that can afford to pay good money for good quality scouts.

was wondering though, with the whole Terry Hill "I want to play with Wests" debacle 15 years ago, and the ruling that the player draft is an illegal restraint of trade, would you think the draft could be re-introduced for the good of the game as a whole, and promote and fairer distribution of young talent to clubs? more importantly, can it happen? there is a precedent i the game afterall. The draft is technically illegal in other sports that adopted it too but it is accepted for the benefit of the game.

Inferno

Coach
Around half the sharks top 40 squad were eligible to play for the Kiwis.

*edit

Here we go
kiwisharks.jpg

colonel_123

Juniors
The Money Box Man said:

The Tigers have Sam Moa, Rangi Chase, Dene Halatau, Bronson Harrison, Benji Marshall all at different stages of development.

Marshall, Chase and Moa have all come through Wests Keebra Park connection.

OVP

Coach
The Roosters have always had a strong Kiwi connection. Some of the young kids already there and coming through are scary ... Sia Soliola and Sa will both play for their country. Sia is only 19 and Sa is 17 ... both are already extremely good. We've got a few Tongans in the forwards playing good footy too ... would they be eligible for NZ ?

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
OVP said:
The Roosters have always had a strong Kiwi connection. Some of the young kids already there and coming through are scary ... Sia Soliola and Sa will both play for their country. Sia is only 19 and Sa is 17 ... both are already extremely good. We've got a few Tongans in the forwards playing good footy too ... would they be eligible for NZ ?

Sa will be a freak..

sooperdooper

First Grade
its not the amount of players you have but the quality.

alot of clubs have a few:
tigers
roosters
parra
sharks

as a parra fan i know we have alot of younger guys in flegg and PL whom we have brought over here and will help them develop and hopefully play nrl one day for us.
im not talking about the kiwi kids born here but have kiwi parents...

ali

Bench
I saw Cronulla's Flegg side demolish Canberra in a trial the other day. I believe Canberra's team won the corresponding under 17 comp 3 years a go. It was brilliant. It reminded me of watching the Warriors in 02 and 03. The flair was great. A couple of backs had steps like Benji and Hunt, and our forwards were huge. The best news for NZ fans, in that both our halves looked like decent prospects. 17 year old 5/8 Bracken Henry, then stepped up to play in the Premier League trial last weekend.

Hopefully we'll unearth a couple of quality first graders in that lot.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Who gets the best?

For this year I would say the Roosters have got a heap of the best kiwi talent from last season recruited

The majority of NRL clubs have recuitment scouts over watching the junior ranks however at the moment I think the best NZJRL programe running around which is based in Australia for League is at Keebra Park which the Wests Tigers have a large influence in as do the Broncos at the moment.

Regarding NRL ranks well the Wests Tigers have the following

Harrison, Halatau, Marshall. Harris, Lolesi, Fatts, Chase, Moa, Cameron, Teo and the list goes on of players we currently have in our ranks that are from NZ or are eligable to still play for NZ

braz

Juniors
Mighty Tiger said:
Who gets the best?

For this year I would say the Roosters have got a heap of the best kiwi talent from last season recruited

The majority of NRL clubs have recuitment scouts over watching the junior ranks however at the moment I think the best NZJRL programe running around which is based in Australia for League is at Keebra Park which the Wests Tigers have a large influence in as do the Broncos at the moment.

Regarding NRL ranks well the Wests Tigers have the following

Harrison, Halatau, Marshall. Harris, Lolesi, Fatts, Chase, Moa, Cameron, Teo and the list goes on of players we currently have in our ranks that are from NZ or are eligable to still play for NZ

Don't forget Dean Collis - gun player

simon says

First Grade
I think its a bit of a copout to say that the Warriors dont get the best of their juniors,they still have most of the NZ team in their side,and they have a few blokes that have just stepped up that loke pretty good(llike Vatuvai).

Of the non Wwarriors,you would have to say that the Tigers have a very nice chunk of Kiwi......current test players,Marshall,Harrison,Lolesi,Fatts,Halatau.

Nice work Tiger recruiters.

The Colonel

Immortal
simon says said:
I think its a bit of a copout to say that the Warriors dont get the best of their juniors,they still have most of the NZ team in their side,and they have a few blokes that have just stepped up that loke pretty good(llike Vatuvai).

They do seem to get the bulk but they do also let a hell of a lot of players slip through their fingers. The Junior Kiwis and New Zealand A sides had a lot more players from outside the Warriors system that they have let go. Many clubs are picking up Bartercard Club players that have either been cut or were missed by Warriors recruiters.....

Parramatta have signed three Junior Kiwis that will play this year in blue and gold - Iwi Hauraki, Duane Poneki and Josh Davis.

carlnz

Bench
ali said:
17 year old 5/8 Bracken Henry, then stepped up to play in the Premier League trial last weekend.

He will be a star no doubt about it....from Canterbury Bulls too :)

carlnz

Bench
The Colonel said:
Parramatta have signed three Junior Kiwis that will play this year in blue and gold - Iwi Hauraki, Duane Poneki and Josh Davis.
Josh Davis has come back home to Wellington.