What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the best coach in the NRL for 2018?

Who is the best coach in the NRL in 2018?

• Total voters

The_Shield

Juniors
Trent Robinson,Shane Flannigan and Craig Bellamy are coaching teams with Phar Laps all over the park,too hard to judge whether there good coaches or not,come to Parra and we will see if there any good,Craig Bellamy was absolute garbage in Origin so i'd suggest Parra would still get the spoon with him.
Its funny. This argument gets brought up a lot round here, everyone goes on about how Bellamy would be shit without the Big 4. Well let’s take a look, GI left after 2010, since then the Storm have won 2 premierships and a few minor premierships. Billy Slater misses all but round 1 of the 2016 competition and the Storm make the grand final. Cooper Cronk leaves at the end of 2017 and here we are 1 win away from the grand final. Let’s not forget a lot of the players at the club are rejects from other clubs, hell im pretty sure the only player at our club that was highly chased by other clubs when we signed them would be Curtis Scott

nick87

Coach
I don’t get the love for Robinson from all parts. Like journos make him out to be some super coach.

He was handed a 8 million dollar team when the cap was 5.5 million and won a Comp.

He now has a 11 million dollar team and let’s see what he does.

He is handed royalty on a platter.

He is a good coach but I have my reservations if he was moved on from uncle Nicks endless friends who live to pour money into roosters.

Cleary for mine if not Seibold.

He's been coaching for 6 years, and his team has made the prelim finals 5 of those 6 years.
You can have all the reservations you like, his results speak for them self. Wayne Bennett and the Broncos have the same cap situation is not better, they dont boast that record.
Other coaches have come through the roosters with the same situation and not achieved what he has.

The one year he didnt make the prelim finals was the year they lost Maloney and RTS in the off season, Pearce played 12 games and Cordner and JHW, maybe even STT missed large chucks of the year (over 50%?), they started a rookie Mitchell who made some errors and Tups and SKD were at their peak derpness
No team could survivor that sort of year.

Personally i dont understand how people still doubt Robinson.

McLovin

Staff member
Has to be Shaun Flanagan given the Sharks endless injury woes this season. I don't think he's had a full complement of players once this year yet he has guided his team to a gf qualifier.

BennyV

Referee
Its funny. This argument gets brought up a lot round here, everyone goes on about how Bellamy would be shit without the Big 4. Well let’s take a look, GI left after 2010, since then the Storm have won 2 premierships and a few minor premierships. Billy Slater misses all but round 1 of the 2016 competition and the Storm make the grand final. Cooper Cronk leaves at the end of 2017 and here we are 1 win away from the grand final. Let’s not forget a lot of the players at the club are rejects from other clubs, hell im pretty sure the only player at our club that was highly chased by other clubs when we signed them would be Curtis Scott
It’s pretty obvious that regardless of the leg ups that Melbourne consistently get from the NRL, Bellamy is comfortably the top coach in the league at present. You don’t sustain the sort of success and results that he does over such a period of time by accident.

in saying that, Seibold would be the coach of 2018 considering the base he came from and the cultural rebuild he had to undertake at Souffs.

yobbo84

First Grade

1. Gordon
3. Mitchell
14. Matterson
4. Aubusson
5. Ferguson

Interchange:
2. Tupou

^ That was almost as good as Seibold using 15 players last week.

nick87

Coach
1. Gordon
3. Mitchell
14. Matterson
4. Aubusson
5. Ferguson

Interchange:
2. Tupou

^ That was almost as good as Seibold using 15 players last week.

That’s a weird team selection but it’s hardly some silver bullet that ends his coaching credentials

He goes to the prelim finals or better 5/6 years. You don’t do that unless you’re a pretty damn good coach

The Rosco

Bench
The best coach in the NRL ? . . .
Well, seeing that this is an Albert poll, I'm going to say there is a real nice Mcafferty's coach that brings the Newcastle supporters to Sydney.
I'll see myself out.

Silent Knight

First Grade
The best coach in the NRL ? . . .
Well, seeing that this is an Albert poll, I'm going to say there is a real nice Mcafferty's coach that brings the Newcastle supporters to Sydney.
I'll see myself out.

Sid Foggs foshizzle or else GTFO homey...

10882205_1606542949573921_1968121496204977308_n.jpg

Eion

First Grade
In all seriousness. The sharks jets and under 20’s sides in the GFs under flannos setup and oversight. The injury riddled nrl side in a gf qualifier, it has to be the flange.

King hit

Coach
He's been coaching for 6 years, and his team has made the prelim finals 5 of those 6 years.
You can have all the reservations you like, his results speak for them self. Wayne Bennett and the Broncos have the same cap situation is not better, they dont boast that record.
Other coaches have come through the roosters with the same situation and not achieved what he has.

The one year he didnt make the prelim finals was the year they lost Maloney and RTS in the off season, Pearce played 12 games and Cordner and JHW, maybe even STT missed large chucks of the year (over 50%?), they started a rookie Mitchell who made some errors and Tups and SKD were at their peak derpness
No team could survivor that sort of year.

Jealousy and fear

And you can’t forget Bellamy and the Storm for salary caps the club rorted for years

Eion

First Grade
Flanno is the only coach of a consistent top side who has built his squad.... not with a chequebook... but with astute gambles and backing himself to turn make players better.

Barba, Ennis in past years, moyza, Eddie, prior, Woods in current squad as examples. Criminally underrated.

JJ

Immortal

To be fair, Bellamy is quite open that a big part of his success is having great players - not his fault of course

The obvious surprises this year are Seibold and Kearney - obviously I am pleased with what the Warriors have done this year, but still think Kearney is a potato.

Seibold should probably win, I guess.

Flanagan is terribly underrated imo - he's done a great job at Cronulla which seems to go unnoticed with all the jizzing over Bellamy and Robinson