What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the best winger to have played the game in the last 40 years? Semi or Grothe?

Semi or Grothe

• Semi

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Grothe

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

blue bags

First Grade
ET played centre, wing and fullback over his career.
what made ET special 1st , was he grew up as a sharks junior, from a very young age

i could name 100 great wingers, but this is EELS wingers

SHARP was a great eels winger from the golden age

what made ET special 1st , was he grew up as a sharks junior, from a very young age

Well mate, the street I live on was named after Neville Glover (or some other bloke called Glover). As a young tacker (6 years old), I was about 20 yards away from that corner of the SCG. Thankfully I wasn't a full-on Eels fan when I was 6 (I liked the Dogs just to piss off my family).

Gronk

Staff member

You can stop trolling now. :end:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Harold Horder by a long way. 152 tries in 136 games.

Followed by Brian Bevan and Ken Irvine.

Some serious Grothe and Semi dick pulling going on.

Neil Hunt doesn't seem to have got a run. For a man with the most predictable right foot step in history, he did ok. Jason Moodie and Sideshow Bob also did well for us.

blue bags

First Grade
Neil Hunt doesn't seem to have got a run. For a man with the most predictable right foot step in history, he did ok. Jason Moodie and Sideshow Bob also did well for us.
sharp with the blonde hair ?? my memory right ?? was great eels player, played many positions, i mention hunt as s great eels winger in my other posts, didn;t i,,if not how i forgot about neil , best sidestep you want to see,, who is Guilio Pomponio.?? never heard of him, sideshow bob was very good and a fun loving player , us of the know how of the infamous SCG corner, if only neville Glover caught that ball. history of the grand finals would be very different

Last edited:

chiefy1

Juniors
Ado Carr would be my choice if i had first choice of any winger. Semi is a beast in attack but well behind defensively

T.S Quint

Coach
Harold Horder by a long way. 152 tries in 136 games.

Followed by Brian Bevan and Ken Irvine.

Some serious Grothe and Semi dick pulling going on.

They all sucked.
Grothe and Semi would run right over them, leave a footprint on their face and then ask them to apologise for attempting to get in their way.

blue bags

First Grade
They all sucked.
Grothe and Semi would run right over them, leave a footprint on their face and then ask them to apologise for attempting to get in their way.
what was that bump. a speed hump, a pot hole , near the sidelineo_O

steve sharp played 27 games that year 1989

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore

Gronk

Staff member
I was at the game when Jeff played. I must of been about 7. I remember the whole crowd cheering. I mean how far has rugby league come, the idea of a retired boxer playing NRL.
He was only 24. So I doubt he was retired.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ado Carr would be my choice if i had first choice of any winger. Semi is a beast in attack but well behind defensively
lol Addo Carr, the bloke would struggle big time in a poor side. He was MIA Saturday in a side that struggled to win the ruck.

84 Baby

Referee
I think the better question is who is the best whinger to have pulled on a blue and gold jersey?

crocodile

Bench
I'm old enough to have seen both. It isn't easy to make a one for one comparison. Different eras, different styles, different players around them. I really liked Grothe's ability to turn and chase down someone who broke through and mostly caught them just before the try line. Exceptional speed and acceleration. Sorry Lingard, I think Grothe was faster until his knees packed it in but not by much. Even after 40 years I recall Grothe chasing down a runaway in the first origin game and catching him on the line. Too bad he got a slap from Chris Close while still on the ground. In Semi's favour, if Close had tried it on him he'd be known as Chopped rather than Choppy. Two special players with nothing between them.