What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the "Illawarra Mafia"?

Timmay

Juniors
I have been a St George fan all my life and so has my mate.

My mate and I were having a beer the other day and we were talking about Mary, and we both agreed that we cannot understand why he is still our head coach?

However, my mate said it may have something to do with the "Illawarra Mafia".

It was the first time I had heard this expression.

Then I joined this website and saw the expression "Illawarra Mafia" a few more times.

As such, who is the "Illawarra Mafia"???

possm

Coach
@muzby is the godfather
Yes ask Muzby he should be able to enlighten you. Just be careful, they might come after you if you get too close to the action. Those pigs with their snouts in the SGI trough can become very aggressive if you threaten their access to the drip, drip, drip of benefits fought hard for in those secret old boys backroom deals.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Actually I would love to hear from anyone a logical explanation of who the Illawarra mafia are and how they operate..

And when I say “logical” I mean no conspiracy theories..

Do Neil Piccinelli or Dean Schifiliti have anything to do with this mafia?

SBD82

Coach

My mate and I were having a beer the other day and we were talking about Mary, and we both agreed that we cannot understand why he is still our head coach?

Then I joined this website and saw the expression "Illawarra Mafia" a few more times.

You’d wanna stop asking so many questions. Unless you want to take a one way boat ride out to the five islands.

PS I thought you were great when you played for Australia. Off spin is a hugely underrated art.

TonyT6

Bench
My guess would be in no particular order:

* Illawarra Mercury journos such as Tim Barrow who are always defending management and Mary
* Paul O’Conner the Wollongong real
Estate agent & board member who famously said “we don’t need Bennett back, Mary will be the next SuperCoach”.
* The Gordon’s and WIN - when the board sells part ownership to the dad of the Chairman for $2.5m under the highest bidder serious mafia shit is going on

Warabrook saint

Juniors

:joy::joy:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Actually I would love to hear from anyone a logical explanation of who the Illawarra mafia are and how they operate..

The WIN onwership in this case, is the mafia.
You could go as far as calling it a cartel.

The term 'mafia' in this circumstance is related to the 'group' of people who run the club.
They all stick together to ensure no one else has a say in the clubs' dealings and or upset the applecart they've installed.

The Gordons, Youngs, the ex players with no relative business experience ................ they all look after themselves. If you don't go with their 'theme' of play, your out.

It has nothing to do with ltalion related names or alike.

Coffs dragon

Bench

* Illawarra Mercury journos such as Tim Barrow who are always defending management and Mary
Estate agent & board member who famously said “we don’t need Bennett back, Mary will be the next SuperCoach”.
* The Gordon’s and WIN - when the board sells part ownership to the dad of the Chairman for $2.5m under the highest bidder serious mafia shit is going on
I think you'll find it's Sean O'Connor, whilst unsure if he's in the mafia squad, he certainly is the greatest stand up comedian in the Illawarra region.

His routine is hilarious: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...llawarra-dragons-director-20140717-zu4lw.html

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

That’s sweet.. But incorrect..

1. The concept that a regional newspaper could hold power over St George is laughable at best..

2. Thankfully O’Connor hasn’t been a board member for a while now, so doesn’t hold sway with the club.

3. You’ve got the order wrong. The new club owners requested the chairman. We didn’t sell to the chairman’s dad, as that would have mean BJ’s dad bought it.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The WIN onwership in this case, is the mafia.
You could go as far as calling it a cartel.

The term 'mafia' in this circumstance is related to the 'group' of people who run the club.
They all stick together to ensure no one else has a say in the clubs' dealings and or upset the applecart they've installed.

The Gordons, Youngs, the ex players with no relative business experience ................ they all look after themselves. If you don't go with their 'theme' of play, your out.

It has nothing to do with ltalion related names or alike.
I’m curious to see how it could be WIN..

People on here have been blaming this mysterious mafia since before their ownership..

The only consistent entity throughout that time is the St George part of the board..

There’s your “mafia”, if you’re looking for one..