What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be added to the train-on squad?

Raider_69

Post Whore
he's also one of the form players of the competition and has been all year
he should be a gimmie for the train on squad and wouldnt look out of place on tour

borat

Bench
innsaneink said:
Go back just a few games then.

Cronulla V canberra

Tongue

13 runs
97 metres
2 line breaks
55 tackles
1 try

V Melbourne

10 runs
67 metres
40 tackles
3 kicks
2 offloads
2 trys

V Wests

9 runs
77 metre
59 tackles
1 try

These stats show he has more to his game than just tackling, he has a kicking game, he has an offload, he breaks the line, he scores trys.

These are great stats yes but I was sitting infront of the TV on saturday waiting for the Tongue of old to produce and it just didn't happen. He had the opportunity to produce on a big stage and was found wanting. Its a big jump from regular season club games to Australia or the finals. IMO I would rather see if he can back up this form next year into City Country.

It depends on what the PM13 game is for. If its to blood up and coming players then yeah put him in. But if its to provide a game for potential tri- nations canidates then I see no point. He is not ready to play for Australia in the tri-nations.

JJ

Immortal
innsaneink said:
Go back just a few games then.

Cronulla V canberra

Tongue

13 runs
97 metres
2 line breaks
55 tackles
1 try

V Melbourne

10 runs
67 metres
40 tackles
3 kicks
2 offloads
2 trys

V Wests

9 runs
77 metre
59 tackles
1 try

These stats show he has more to his game than just tackling, he has a kicking game, he has an offload, he breaks the line, he scores trys.

He's Andrew Johns, Wally Lewis, Johnny Raper, and Artie Beetson rolled into one convenient little package :crazy: ;-)

Tounge needs to show us these stats over a long period of time, not just 2 games, if you can come back to me with similar stats, over say 10 games, than tounge is good enough for the Kangaroo Team

however, i think he is a shot at PM, has had his best year, by far, if he doesnt rep this year, he definately will get a city country jumper next year

and yes, i think hayne should be given a go in PM, reality says, there isnt any room for him, if i was a selector, i would drop roberts out, and put hayne in, but there is just simply too many wingers in the tri-nations squad, unfortunately

JJ

Immortal
I also saw Tongue as the 2nd or third man into a tackle pretty frequently. I don't have a problem with it, but apparently they're counted as tackles, and Canberra fans love to criticise Hindmarsh :crazy: for that... anyway, maybe those that keep these figures should separate them to "tackles" and "tackle assists"

Anyway, on the original topic - the train on squad

Should/could be something like
Hindmarsh
Hayne
Grothe (gooorrnne)
Morrison
Tongue
Mogg

borat said:
I am not saying he is a bad player, I just think the tri-nations squad should be only for players under serious consideration and for mine Tongue still has a long way to go. He needs to prove himself through city country before he is ready to be considered for tri-nations squad.

His tackling stats also do absolutely nothing for me. He needs far more to his game than just tackling to be a rep player. If rep selection was based on tackling stats than Matt Hilder would be in the Aussie team. He might have more to his game but certainly wasn't on show saturday night.

Why is it that someone from souths/canberra has to prove themselves but others from say the rooters or dragons dont??

borat

Bench
borat said:
Hindmarsh & Grothe.

No Raiders thats for certain as they aren't a realistic chance for either the tri-nations nor the PM13. They were found out on the big stage Saturday night.

Well I was one short anyway. There was no way that Tongue was going to be selected as there is a stack of locks & backrowers with far more big game experience. This time last year the flavour of the month was Ashley Harrison and look at him now.

Lets see Toungue back up his form and perform for country first. You gotta earn your dues before you get selected for Australia. There was an exception to this with Creagh's selection last year, but he was obviously a young player they wanted to blood and they may choose another young player again this year. Alan Toungue at 26 is hardly a spring chicken.

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: no raiders selected
there a shock

those selectors are f**king wanks :lol:
Nathen Merritt can make the team and will never play for his country but tonguey cant? farce

skeepe

Immortal
Jarryd Hayne, Nathan Hindmarsh and Eric Grothe were the only players selected. All 3 were selected on reputation rather than form.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Reputation not form? Huh..stop deluding yourself. Hindmarsh and Grothe will be picked and Hayne won the Rookie of the year. He won't play in the tests but will play in the PMX111.

ledzep

Bench
Grothe doesn't deserve to be there
He's been shocking when I've seen him play of late
Tongue can consider himself unlucky not to be in the train-on squad

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
skeepe said:
Jarryd Hayne, Nathan Hindmarsh and Eric Grothe were the only players selected. All 3 were selected on reputation rather than form.

are you serial ?

Hindmarsh not selected on form ?

you should get out and watch a game of Rugby League one day

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
roosterbooster1 said:
Grothe doesn't deserve to be there
He's been shocking when I've seen him play of late
Tongue can consider himself unlucky not to be in the train-on squad

Guru may have been selected on SOO form, which was pretty good

his club form has been ordinary, I agree

Hayne will play for Australia one day, but not this year, imo

innsaneink

Referee
borat said:
These are great stats yes but I was sitting infront of the TV on saturday waiting for the Tongue of old to produce and it just didn't happen. He had the opportunity to produce on a big stage and was found wanting. Its a big jump from regular season club games to Australia or the finals. IMO I would rather see if he can back up this form next year into City Country.

It depends on what the PM13 game is for. If its to blood up and coming players then yeah put him in. But if its to provide a game for potential tri- nations canidates then I see no point. He is not ready to play for Australia in the tri-nations.

He's human, the conditions were crap, his team was getting hammered....youre a hard marker.

Even Joey and Lockyer have off days. Everyone does.

borat

Bench
innsaneink said:
He's human, the conditions were crap, his team was getting hammered....youre a hard marker.

Even Joey and Lockyer have off days. Everyone does.

But thats all we have to go on with Tongue is that one game. Players like O'Donnell, Fitzgibbon and Gallen have shown they can perform at the top level when required. I for one don't think we need to take the chance on Tongue when we have a plentiful supply of qualiity locks around. Let him prove himself in City next year if he can keep his form.

JJ

Immortal
skeepe said:

you have NFI, do you?

Latest posts