What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be NSW Origin captain in 2017?

davi

Juniors
I think it's likely to be Boyd Cordner. I know his coach is talking him up, but I seem to suspect he is the favorite. The crap that's gone on with the West Tigers has probably turned Laurie Daley off Aaron Woods.

"Roosters coach Trent Robinson has backed inspirational co-captain Boyd Cordner to take over from Paul Gallen as skipper of the NSW Blues side for this year's State of Origin series.

Robinson isn't one to make bold statements just for the sake of it, so his words on Friday night added extra weight to the growing chorus of past and present players who are backing the 24-year-old to lead his state.

Cordner assumed the co-captaincy at the Tricolours at the start of the season and has been a key cog in their rapid rise up the ladder after a horror 2016.

"I don't usually throw my weight behind that – I usually understate that sort of stuff – but he's ready," Robinson said following his side's 24-6 win over the Knights.

"He knows the responsibility that he's got in the team now. He was never 99 per cent – he was always 100 per cent – but he knows he's had to carry the weight of a team and he has to talk a bit more during the week. When you do that, you have to deliver on the field, and he's done that."

https://www.nrl.com/robinson-backs-...taincy/tabid/10874/newsid/105698/default.aspx

Life's Good

Coach
Coronet. I think Maloney can handle it but Cordner is most likely an origin player for many years to come.

Hopefully the talk of Woods will soon disappear(battling to make the side from how I see it).

King hit

Coach
Boyd Cordner has to be the captain. Probably the best second rower in the game and killed it for Australia in the 4 nations last year.

nick87

Coach
Cordner would be my pick

He's young, seems to have the right kind of mentality and is one of the best 3 back rowers in game and will be a staple of the team long term

davi

Juniors
Wade Graham

I think Graham would have been more ideal because Cordner is so young (24), but don't Cordner and Graham play the same position? Cordner is a lock for the team and for years to come, Graham should be there as well but it still not happen even though if I was a selector I would pick him.

Tweed Titan

Bench
I think Graham would have been more ideal because Cordner is so young (24), but don't Cordner and Graham play the same position? Cordner is a lock for the team and for years to come, Graham should be there as well but it still not happen even though if I was a selector I would pick him.
It's looking more and more obvious every week that Cordner is the best choice. Woods is showing little leadership and is starting to look like a pillow.

The other candidates don't even captain their club sides.

davi

Juniors
It's looking more and more obvious every week that Cordner is the best choice. Woods is showing little leadership and is starting to look like a pillow.

The other candidates don't even captain their club sides.

Neither was Danny Buderus when he was made captain of NSW.

He's not the MAIN co-captain is he? He's not the one who's allowed to talk to the ref when friend is on the park.

A "main" co-captain? What planet are you on? Also remind me who was talking to the referee last week against the Knights, especially the first 20minutes, when Friend started from the bench? Let alone Round 4 when it would have been hard for Friend to talk to the referee when he was out injured and didn't play at all :rolleyes:

Based on your criteria, thank heavens you weren't a selector as guys like Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler would never have been captains of NSW as, when they were picked, they weren't the captain's of their respective club sides at the time.

A "main" co-captain? What planet are you on? Also remind me who was talking to the referee last week against the Knights, especially the first 20minutes, when Friend started from the bench? Let alone Round 4 when it would have been hard for Friend to talk to the referee when he was out injured and didn't play at all :rolleyes:

Based on your criteria, thank heavens you weren't a selector as guys like Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler would never have been captains of NSW as, when they were picked, they weren't the captain's of their respective club sides at the time.

in the NRL, the referees only refer to ONE player as the captain. You can have however many co-captains as you want but the fact is only one is allowed to talk to the referee and at the Roosters that's jake friend when he's fit and healthy. Yes you're right Cordner was the captain in previous weeks because of friends injury but when friend is fully fit and starts, he is the captain, not Cordner.

As for you other point, I never said that he shouldn't be captain because he's not his clubs captain but merely corrected him because he was saying Cordner should be captain because the other candidites are not the captain at their club. However, I wouldn't have Cordner as captain because he's still unproven at this level and not because he's not the roosters captain.

in the NRL, the referees only refer to ONE player as the captain. You can have however many co-captains as you want but the fact is only one is allowed to talk to the referee and at the Roosters that's jake friend when he's fit and healthy. Yes you're right Cordner was the captain in previous weeks because of friends injury but when friend is fully fit and starts, he is the captain, not Cordner.

So you have watched every minute of every Roosters game to see that the referees have spoken only ever to Jake Friend on the field have you? If you haven't then you cannot back up your dissertation at all. The only person who is applying that criteria, namely that there is only ever one captain and that is whomever speaks to the referee is your definition and no one elses. Boyd Cordner is the Roosters co-captain regardless of what you say. His coach says he is, so that will do it for me as I think he might have some idea of what he is talking about with his own side.

Edit: Also if he is not captain, why does Big League, the official program of the NRL, along with the team listing on NRL.com have Cordner and Friend both listed as captain?

Last edited:

Latest posts