What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be the next immortal?

Who will be the next immortal?

• Malcolm Meninga

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Malcolm Reilly

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Paul Gallen

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Other

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

butchmcdick

Post Whore
That's a good question Butch but to be honest I don't think I have one. Obviously my original comment was in part intended to wind up Queenslanders but I honestly don't think Lockyer should be an immortal. I think he was exactly like Brad Fittler, a very good footballer for a long time but I don't think either of them come even close to Andrew John's. I have been following league (and the panthers) since the mid 70's and John's is easily the best footy player I have ever seen but that's the thing with this type of thread, it's all subjective and therefore people are bound to disagree. If I was pressed to name one out of this generation of players, I think Billy Slater would be the top of my list but that's not based on premierships won etc but just how good a footy player he is.

Cheers pete

St_Jubbsy

Staff member
Norm Provan should already be one except for the fact that the organisers didn't want another St George player.

Team of the century member. Ten premierships - four as captain/coach.

He represents all that is great about our game.

thorson1987

Coach
Norm Provan should already be one except for the fact that the organisers didn't want another St George player.

Team of the century member. Ten premierships - four as captain/coach.

He represents all that is great about our game.

Yeah it has me stumped as to how he isn't one.

The fact this overshadows the official HOF is a joke.

I like how Parra have done it.

Have a HOF, but then also have legend status above that.

STORM.99/07

Bench
Why were the rules altered for druggy johns? he admitted to taking drugs during his career therefore I thought he should be disqualified for that honour.

Jason Maher

Immortal
What's wrong with taking recreational drugs? I would hazard a guess the vast majority of people commenting on this thread do. The only difference is your drug of choice is arbitrarily considered socially acceptable while Joey's isn't.

Gippsy

Bench
Really not sure why Sterling is so seldom in these discussions...

Can't comment on Provan, as I never saw him - but Sterling was as good a half as there's been, and that era was when Aust pulled away from the rest of us.

Special player imo

Agree on Sterlo. The best halfback I have seen and that includes Johns. And as far as I know Sterlo wasn't assisted by drugs.

But yes, Norm Provan should be the next immortal, no question. Or Dally Messenger!

Last edited:

fourplay

Juniors
What hasn't Lockyer achieved in the game ?

Grand final wins ?

Origin ?

Internationals ?

Lockyer has never been in the top few players in the game for a single season. He has been good over a long period of time, but he has never had a stand out season showing great skill like Hayne 2009, Carney 2010, Barba 2012, Thurston 2007 etc.

Lockyer's claim to fame is being a captain of successful teams.

Last edited:

gregstar

Referee
couldn't split jason hoogerwerf & ian herron.

so i went the safety first selection;

guy picken.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Lockyer has never been in the top few players in the game for a single season. He has been good over a long period of time, but he has never had a stand out season showing great skill like Hayne 2009, Carney 2010, Barba 2012, Thurston 2007 etc.

Lockyer's claim to fame is being a captain of successful teams.

He did win the golden boot for being the judged the best player in the world

Twice

But yeah no breakout season

Knightmare

Coach
won't get one from me.

Of the players I have seen play, Lockyer gets my vote, that is because I have not seen those that came before 91 ( when I started watching the game ). I certainly wouldn't argue if a player from the past became the next immortal. In terms of ability Johns is one of the best players I have personally seen, in terms of on field performances over the years he doesn't come close. People talk about a media favourite, Johns could have taken a piss on the field and the channel 9 team, the papers and footy show would have called it the greatest play of all time.

So basically Wally Lewis during his Origin career then?

STORM.99/07

Bench
What's wrong with taking recreational drugs? I would hazard a guess the vast majority of people commenting on this thread do. The only difference is your drug of choice is arbitrarily considered socially acceptable while Joey's isn't.
I don`t touch any drugs of any sort.

ram raid

Bench
Has to be Mal. He should have come before Joey. Then next, Lockyer. After that, Hayne//Inglis/Slater ... it;s getting very crowded in the immortal category.

Rod

Bench
Johns was the ultimate opportunist when it came to glory. If is side was down he wouldn't stand up and inspire them, the likes of Buderus, M Gidley, Tahu, Harrogan, ect would do that not him, they would get the Knights back in the game, Johns would set up a try and suddenly he was their savior after limping around for most of the game. Johns is one of the biggest myths in the game, talented hell yes, lazy as f**k and a pea heart most definitely. That one origin game showed what he could do, was an awesome display, but he rarely lived up to the hype like that. If he played with the dedication of Buderus I would have been calling for him to be an immortal last time as well.

Hahahahaha this shit makes Bunniesman's player rumours look credible.