What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be the next immortal?

Who will be the next immortal?

• Malcolm Meninga

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Malcolm Reilly

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Paul Gallen

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Other

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

Kiwi

First Grade
So because he dropped a few pills he suddenly doesn't become one of the greatest players league has ever seen?

Johns was the ultimate opportunist when it came to glory. If is side was down he wouldn't stand up and inspire them, the likes of Buderus, M Gidley, Tahu, Harrogan, ect would do that not him, they would get the Knights back in the game, Johns would set up a try and suddenly he was their savior after limping around for most of the game. Johns is one of the biggest myths in the game, talented hell yes, lazy as f**k and a pea heart most definitely. That one origin game showed what he could do, was an awesome display, but he rarely lived up to the hype like that. If he played with the dedication of Buderus I would have been calling for him to be an immortal last time as well.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Those suggesting Lockyer as an immortal are kidding themselves. Lockyer was a good player for a long time (just like Fittler) and nothing more. The only reason they would even entertain the thought of making Lockyer an immortal would be to appease those north of the border.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Johns was the ultimate opportunist when it came to glory. If is side was down he wouldn't stand up and inspire them, the likes of Buderus, M Gidley, Tahu, Harrogan, ect would do that not him, they would get the Knights back in the game, Johns would set up a try and suddenly he was their savior after limping around for most of the game. Johns is one of the biggest myths in the game, talented hell yes, lazy as f**k and a pea heart most definitely. That one origin game showed what he could do, was an awesome display, but he rarely lived up to the hype like that. If he played with the dedication of Buderus I would have been calling for him to be an immortal last time as well.

Translation said:
It really bothers me that a lot, if not the majority, of people consider Johns the best player ever, so I'm gonna sprout a bunch of nonsense in the hopes that people will consider Lockyer better.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Those suggesting Lockyer as an immortal are kidding themselves. Lockyer was a good player for a long time (just like Fittler) and nothing more. The only reason they would even entertain the thought of making Lockyer an immortal would be to appease those north of the border.

What hasn't Lockyer achieved in the game ?

Grand final wins ?

Origin ?

Internationals ?

blaza88z

Coach

quality bait, deserves a few bites

Kiwi

First Grade
quality bait, deserves a few bites

won't get one from me.

Of the players I have seen play, Lockyer gets my vote, that is because I have not seen those that came before 91 ( when I started watching the game ). I certainly wouldn't argue if a player from the past became the next immortal. In terms of ability Johns is one of the best players I have personally seen, in terms of on field performances over the years he doesn't come close. People talk about a media favourite, Johns could have taken a piss on the field and the channel 9 team, the papers and footy show would have called it the greatest play of all time.

Tommy Smith

Referee
You're not all there in the head. Clearly.

I've never loved Lockyer or Joey; but in both defence and attack, Lockyer couldn't hold a candle to Andrew Johns.

Lockyer was a great player, but there is absolutely nothing in terms of achievement or ability that elevates him above Daley, Langer, Fittler, Slater, Sterling, Thurston or Clyde.

All were amazing players; but still below the genius of Andrew Johns who dominated on a week to week basis on a level I've never seen anyone else do.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Really not sure why Sterling is so seldom in these discussions...

Can't comment on Provan, as I never saw him - but Sterling was as good a half as there's been, and that era was when Aust pulled away from the rest of us.

Special player imo

Panther Pete

Juniors
What's your criteria Pete ?

That's a good question Butch but to be honest I don't think I have one. Obviously my original comment was in part intended to wind up Queenslanders but I honestly don't think Lockyer should be an immortal. I think he was exactly like Brad Fittler, a very good footballer for a long time but I don't think either of them come even close to Andrew John's. I have been following league (and the panthers) since the mid 70's and John's is easily the best footy player I have ever seen but that's the thing with this type of thread, it's all subjective and therefore people are bound to disagree. If I was pressed to name one out of this generation of players, I think Billy Slater would be the top of my list but that's not based on premierships won etc but just how good a footy player he is.

boonboon

Juniors
I think immortals like Dally Ms are always biased towards backs too much these days - Glenn Lazarus for me would be the next in line - he made teams win and his record was amazing and he was the best prop in the game for a long time.

Also what about backrowers - where is the love for a bloke like Brad Clyde or Nathan Hindmarsh for example they dominated their position.

What I am saying is that the game isn't all about halves and fullbacks.

Cameron Smith could also be a good chance although I struggle with the fact he cheated the game out of 3 years by being inovled in rorting the cap

MaxPower

Juniors
Johns made average players look like origin stars. Every player in his team performed better when he was on the field.

Latest posts