What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should captain Australia in the T20 Series v Sri Lanka

Bazal

Post Whore
Klinger? Is he 40 yet??

Just checked, coming up 37 - big career ahead of him.... thing is your selections make no sense - youth one minute, youth with no experience, journeymen, then old journeymen...

Yeah but for a pointless T20 series, in Shield season, with the test side overseas, personally I'd rather the young batsmen play Shield cricket. Klinger is a has been but he played well in the BBL and he's hardly keeping a young fella out of an important cricket side. This time it actually is more of a scheduling issue than a selection issue, unlike the current side in NZ. It really is an absolutely pointless series

Iafeta

Referee
Question. Has a certain SK Warne been overly and overtly influential on decisions? It seems any time he breaks his plastic mould to smile approvingly on a cricketer, next thing you know that bloke is selected. And not often successfully.

Bazal

Post Whore
Question. Has a certain SK Warne been overly and overtly influential on decisions? It seems any time he breaks his plastic mould to smile approvingly on a cricketer, next thing you know that bloke is selected. And not often successfully.

A lot of us fans think so, yeah. It's amazing the number of times he runs his mouth and a few weeks later the bloke he's been spruiking gets a call up. He's a shit house judge of a cricketer I reckon, he still doesn't rate Haze ffs

undertaker

Coach
Yeah but for a pointless T20 series, in Shield season, with the test side overseas, personally I'd rather the young batsmen play Shield cricket. Klinger is a has been but he played well in the BBL and he's hardly keeping a young fella out of an important cricket side. This time it actually is more of a scheduling issue than a selection issue, unlike the current side in NZ. It really is an absolutely pointless series

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...led-out-by-justin-langer-20170131-gu2or6.html

The bottom line is, I find it hilarious that Mitchell Johnson wasn't considered for the T20 squad on the grounds that it was in line with CA's youth policy, yet the selectors call in Klinger, who is a year older than Johnson.

The same thing happened to Mike Hussey after his test retirement in 2013. Despite being one of the form ODI batsmen at the time, John Inverarity et al. shafted him from the ODI series on the basis of 'time to give the next generation a go', yet then-35yr old Brad Haddin was re-called to the ODI squad.....a complete joke.

Or when Chris Lynn in 2014 was randomly dropped for then 39-year old has been Brad Hodge in the T20s, who then made the World T20 squad. And we all know how that worked out...

Whoever was the PR representative that came up with that reason of the 'youth policy' obviously didn't think it through properly when Klinger's name appeared in the squad. No wonder why players and fans feel disillusionment towards CA and the selectors

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach

Another one of my pet hates.

How people like Warne have been allowed a massive influence on selection proceedings is a joke, let alone an even bigger joke that the selectors in the past have such a low IQ to actually follow through with Warne's suggestions. Bryce McGain and Michael Beer - coincidentally both Victorians - can single-handedly thank Warne for their test (albeit short) careers. It was basically Warne's recommendations of them in the media that undeservedly scored them their baggy green caps.

The rate baggy green caps have been handed out like junk mail in the letter box over the past decade cheapens and devalues it, and it's a massive insult to players of past generations who earned their spots in the side, as well as those who piled on thousands of runs/took plenty of wickets at Shield/County cricket, yet only got limited opportunities at international level.

Since Shield/domestic form pretty much counts for nothing these days when it comes to national selections, Sam Heazlett playing ODIs for Australia without playing any 50-over games for his state, and I've been bowling leg-spin since 1995, sarcastically speaking, I guess all I need (or any leg spinner in Australia for that matter) is for Shane Warne to come down and watch me bowl in the nets and then for him to go to the media or his facebook/twitter and brag about how well I've bowled, how I'm the next big thing blah blah blah. Looks like I have a far better chance of winning a call-up to the national squad that the thousands of players in their 20s around Australia that have spent years to work their way up the ranks from local club cricket.

Bazal

Post Whore
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...led-out-by-justin-langer-20170131-gu2or6.html

The bottom line is, I find it hilarious that Mitchell Johnson wasn't considered for the T20 squad on the grounds that it was in line with CA's youth policy, yet the selectors call in Klinger, who is a year older than Johnson.

The same thing happened to Mike Hussey after his test retirement in 2013. Despite being one of the form ODI batsmen at the time, John Inverarity et al. shafted him from the ODI series on the basis of 'time to give the next generation a go', yet then-35yr old Brad Haddin was re-called to the ODI squad.....a complete joke.

Or when Chris Lynn in 2014 was randomly dropped for then 39-year old has been Brad Hodge in the T20s, who then made the World T20 squad. And we all know how that worked out...

Whoever was the PR representative that came up with that reason of the 'youth policy' obviously didn't think it through properly when Klinger's name appeared in the squad. No wonder why players and fans feel disillusionment towards CA and the selectors

Johnson is retired....he explicitly stated that himself after the BBL final

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He also said he would play T/20 international if he was asked. I saw the interview.

I've watched Abbott bat and he can bat but doesn't seem to have the application of a batsman, he has the technique but seems to always get out playing his shots. If he applied himself I think he could be a batsman but I dont think he has the pace to make it at a higher level as a bowler.