What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should we sign for 2009?

but do we have $200,000 left if we resign Finch?
I think Roosters are paying him to much, he's not worth $200,000 a year at this stage. Hasn't got a enough runs on board IMO.
$125,000-$150,000 tops.

sooperdooper

First Grade
i think we need to look at luring a decent coach to this club...
we should have thrown a blank cheque to wayne bennett...
instead we should look at daniel anderson.

From there we can then look at players.
a prop is needed, Shillington would be good. Lopini Paea? Or a good backrower like heighington!

The Colonel

Immortal
Get rid of Riddell, Paulo, Wagon and Lowrie. With Tim Smiths money and the loss of those players I am sure we can afford to sign the likes of Shillington and Heighington.

Pazza

First Grade
i think he has got somewhere around 50 fg games, and he was only born in 1983. This guy is going to get better before he gets worse.

Paulo seems to be a favorite, but he is really not up to NRL and I also think Weller has struggled at NRL level. Isn't Wagon retiring?
Riddell is way over paid so if he went and we Resign Finch with his money and that leaves Smiths money and some of the fringe players that should move on. With that we could sign Shillington and Heighington.
I would Love Crocker to play for us, would get him for about $250,000 I reckon too, maybe him and Heighington. Sorry I think Shillington is over rated.

Bigfella

Coach
Finch was signed as a 6 as a foil to Tim and is not playing there. Leave the experiment there. It hasn't worked. Paying overs for a bloke who has failed to hold down a 7 spot at NRL level is madness, when it will cost us the opportunity to bring on our current prospects AND stop us from doing what is more drastically needed - providing forward depth.

Riddell is no value for money as he is not a first grade standard dummy half and on massive overs.

Take the money and cap space saved by Smith, Finch, Riddell, Lowrie, Wagon and sign 3 quality forwads, or 2 forwards and a centre capable of playing backrow.

That way Mateo can play 6 with either of KK, Mortimer, Hodkinson or Maloney to have a crack at playing 7 inside him. KK would be first off the rank. If more than one then presses a strong claim Mateo can move to 13.

fish eel

Immortal
Get rid of Riddell, Paulo, Wagon and Lowrie. With Tim Smiths money and the loss of those players I am sure we can afford to sign the likes of Shillington and Heighington.

both those two would be excellent signings, along with Matthew Head.

I'd like to start seeing some movement in the not to distant future.

Pazza

First Grade
Paolo seems too big and not quick or energetic enough to play in the modern game.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
If we shed Riddell, would the club potentially need another hooker?

With Riddell injured, we used five-eight Kris Keating as the back up to his brother. That doesn't seem like the best depth, especially if everyone has KK pencilled in for a run on position in the not too distant future. How is the form of the Wenty hooker looking (is he on the rise)?

While I like the idea of youth in theory, I'm struggling to think of a successful team in recent years with rookies in more than one of the crucial 1, 6, 7 and 9 positions week in week out. Souths are a good example of how talented youngsters can crumble under too much pressure. Is it too big a gamble?

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

the_eel

Juniors
Surely there is some money to be saved if we were to get rid of Wags, Lowrie, Tim Smith and Riddell and i'd also suggest that Paulo and Weller both need to improve their contribution or they could also find themselves on the outer as well. IMO we need an aggressive hard hitting forward in 09.

the_eel

Juniors
If we shed Riddell, would the club potentially need another hooker?

With Riddell injured, we used five-eight Kris Keating as the back up to his brother. That doesn't seem like the best depth, especially if everyone has KK pencilled in for a run on position in the not too distant future. How is the form of the Wenty hooker looking (is he on the rise)?

While I like the idea of youth in theory, I'm struggling to think of a successful team in recent years with rookies in more than one of the crucial 1, 6, 7 and 9 positions week in week out. Souths are a good example of how talented youngsters can crumble under too much pressure. Is it too big a gamble?

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

Decent point.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
first and foremost we need to re-sign Finch.

secondly, give Riddell a few weeks to sort himself out, if he can't stitch up a deal by mid May, then ask him to committ the last year of his contract with us.

thirdly, given that both Wags and Robo are off contract we need to either tie up Robo or sign a fiery backrower with a bit in attack... Costigan, Learoy-Lars or Heighnington should be the sort of bloke we're looking for.

then, depending on what Riddell does, we need to look at getting a top centre or outside back with a bit of aggresion and a willingness to pull their sleaves up and have a go, Ben Harris, Adrian Purtel or Colin Best may do the trick.

Ben Harris would be right on my rador given that the guy and easily slot in the backrow in a pinch.

just 2 signings to get this dead heart pumping again...

I agree with Costigan, Lars and Heighnington, however no way at Best, he's just another Reddy.
Our problem is we need another versatile back, and some grunt in the forwards, a second rower and prop should be were we look at.

HevyDevy

Coach
Yep, some damaging back-rowers and a prop that can make a real impact would be good.

Then again, Fuifui can still get back to his old form at some stage I'm sure.

Latest posts