What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who to replace Widdop as captain?

JamesRustle

First Grade
Mary bringing Marketo in under the JDB salary cap relief and promised him captain to get it across the line.
This will also address our right centre issue.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
It has been well reported in posts on this forum that Mary's preference is for McInnes to captain the side in 2020. In my humble opinion, T Sims would be the best choice with maybe McInnes as the VC.
Either would be my choice at the moment.....besides will McGrexit be here in 2020 ??? .....yeah right

Dragons 09

Juniors
Been plenty of good captains who don't play 80 minutes, but for me, i would rather have a captain who is on the field for the entire game. It would appear as though McGregor is happy for McInnes to play 80 so if he goes with Cam then i'm sure he will do the job.

I understand the calls for Jimmy Graham, he sure is a leader and has the respect, but again, i wouldn't mind seeing more than 50 - 55 minutes a game from my captain. Friz and Tariq have been mentioned and rightly so, they both play longer minutes than Graham, are senior players and inspirational, but not necessarily visionaries/game readers. I think Cam would go ok as skipper, certainly inspirational with his defence and plays 80, but he is also more your workhorse than a visionary/game reader.

While any of the above mentioned are deserving of consideration and would likely do a great job, I wouldn't be against seeing Ben Hunt given the reigns with Graham as (VC). There's obviously the risk of him getting down on himself as we have seen in the past, but i actually think putting the (C) beside his name might make him a more resilient person as he would have to shake off his personal demons pretty quickly for the benefit of the team. I think he has better game awareness than those mentioned previously, speaks well, is a clean skin and seems to be well liked by the squad, so if McGregor goes this way, i certainly wouldn't be against it.

I'm wondering who'll they appoint to captain with Widdop out injured?
Graham is passionate and a senior player but there's more to captaining than passion/seniority and what do you do when he's being rested?
My other thoughts would be McInnes or possibly Hunt.
Any thoughts anyone?
Tariq Sims is a standout.
He has evolved as our forward pack leader even though I have the utmost respect for Frizzel.
On the surface, Graham is a candidate because of his experience but TBO I think we should be looking for a longer term solution.
What I like about Sims, apart from his intimidation and power running, is his temperament.
Is hardly ever penalised, when things get heated he always stays cool and is usually smiling and sledging opposition to great effect. Has matured into a very smart footballer over the years..
I think the Team will follow him into battle with a very positive outcome compared to Widdop's mild and meek style of captaincy.

Old Timer

Coach
Been plenty of good captains who don't play 80 minutes, but for me, i would rather have a captain who is on the field for the entire game. It would appear as though McGregor is happy for McInnes to play 80 so if he goes with Cam then i'm sure he will do the job.

I understand the calls for Jimmy Graham, he sure is a leader and has the respect, but again, i wouldn't mind seeing more than 50 - 55 minutes a game from my captain. Friz and Tariq have been mentioned and rightly so, they both play longer minutes than Graham, are senior players and inspirational, but not necessarily visionaries/game readers. I think Cam would go ok as skipper, certainly inspirational with his defence and plays 80, but he is also more your workhorse than a visionary/game reader.

While any of the above mentioned are deserving of consideration and would likely do a great job, I wouldn't be against seeing Ben Hunt given the reigns with Graham as (VC). There's obviously the risk of him getting down on himself as we have seen in the past, but i actually think putting the (C) beside his name might make him a more resilient person as he would have to shake off his personal demons pretty quickly for the benefit of the team. I think he has better game awareness than those mentioned previously, speaks well, is a clean skin and seems to be well liked by the squad, so if McGregor goes this way, i certainly wouldn't be against it.
Much merit in what you have posted.
Whilst I am not yet a huge fan of Hunt IMO he has the best footy head out of all the candidates.
I too would not complain if it was Mc Innes but he has so much to do the (c) might cause him to fatigue even quicker.
There is also the political issue that if Mc Innes gets the captaincy then Robson (aka Robinson) might think there is absolutely nowhere for him at the club and then pull the pin before we get a chance to consider what we do with him.
Not that that should really influence the situation as the best man for the job should get it but it would require really good man management with Robson and I don't think coach has that in him.