What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was the better fijian flyer...Tuqiri or Nadruku?

Who was the better flyin fijian?

• Noa

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Lote

Votes: 51 42.1%

• Total voters

Mr Saab

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
Willie Carne, Mick Hancock, Steve Renouf, Darren Smith and Wendell Sailor in 96 for the Broncos wasn't too bad either.

1998 broncos backline was better than their 96 (mainly cause lockyer was fullback in 1998 compared to robbie ross at fullback in 1996)

lockyer
hancock
renouf
smith
sailor
walters
langer

raiders 1994 was also sensational.

Mr Saab

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:
oops, Fifita fumbles the ball.
That backline is awesome, how long were they together for??
Mullins, Nadruku, Meninga, Wiki, Nagas. And I assume Daley & Stuart were the halves.

that backline was together for one yr. 1994

Balmain_Boy

Mr Saab said:
1998 broncos backline was better than their 96 (mainly cause lockyer was fullback in 1998 compared to robbie ross at fullback in 1996)

lockyer
hancock
renouf
smith
sailor
walters
langer

raiders 1994 was also sensational.
I thought Carne was fullback in 96? Besides in 98 Renough and Hancock were starting to dip in form. Either way, both 96 and 98 Broncos and Canberra in 94 were brilliant backlines. I think the Raiders have got it on flair but the Broncos on consistency and reliability. It will be interesting if we ever see a backline get near either of them again. I don't think the salary cap will allow it personally.

RABK

Referee
2000 knights wearn't bad.....

1- Robbie O'Davis
2- Timana Tahu
3- Matt Gidley
4- Adam Macdougall
5- Darren Albert
6- Matthew Johns
7- Andrew Johns

A lot of backlines could have pipped that 94 Canberra backline on there day, but if Canberra were on their day......... whooska!

Manly had some great backlines, players like Ridge, Innes, Lyons, Elsegood were all great players.....what was their best backline?

Mr Saab

Referee
Not a bad backline RBAK, but the back 5 dont have the all around class or reputation that the broncos or raiders best backlines had.

RABK

Referee
Btw, i'm of the opinion Nagas when fit and in form was the best winger in the comp.

Good memories remembering back as a young lad hearing Rabs fire up over a Canberra break.....

"NNNNAAAAAANNNNDRRRROOOOOOOOKKUUUUU" OR "Outwide to a flying NAGAS....KENNY NAGAS!!!" :)

RABK

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Not a bad backline RBAK, but the back 5 dont have the all around class or reputation that the broncos or raiders best backlines had.

Yep, but at the time i believe all 7 had played for Australia or NSW within 12 months of eachother......when in form it could rival them but as i said on most days none could match those other backlines.

Mr Saab

Referee
Red and Blue Knight said:
Yep, but at the time i believe all 7 had played for Australia or NSW within 12 months of eachother.

Not tahu. Not at that time.

RABK

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Not tahu. Not at that time.

Yeh your correct, Tahu didn't rip inot rep teams til lafter our premiership...thoguh at the time he was scoring a try a game and in the top 5 for every attacking stat a back can be measured for.....he was in rep form...put it that way.

You're quite a 90's encyclopedia aren't ya saab? ;-)

Balmain_Boy

That's a pretty damn good backline as well. I think the Broncos and in particular the Raider's backlines had an aura about them though. An aura that will be hard to match.

How about 2000 Tigers?

Matt Seers
Joel Caine
Kev McGuniess
Terry Hill
Hoppa
Gillette/Georgallis
Craig Field

That's frightening stuff.

RABK

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
That's a pretty damn good backline as well. I think the Broncos and in particular the Raider's backlines had an aura about them though. An aura that will be hard to match.

How about 2000 Tigers?

Matt Seers
Joel Caine
Kev McGuniess
Terry Hill
Hoppa
Gillette/Georgallis
Craig Field

That's frightening stuff.

:LOL:

My little brother loved Joel Caine.

Balmain_Boy

:lol:

My little brother loved Joel Caine.

I remember his game on debut for Balmain, replacing the awe inspiring Shannon Nevin. I think it was against Manly and he actually had a decent game. I'll never forget my Dad's immortal words when Joel took a towering bomb "Joel Caine, you're a magician". f**k was he wrong.

To his credit though, Joel was a whole hearted player.

RABK

Referee
What about a best of the 90's backline....all fit and in the peak of the form......

1- Tim Brasher
2- Ken Nagas
3- Mal Meninga
4- Steve Renouf
5- Wendell Sailor
6- Laurie Daley
7- Andrew Johns

Langer, ET, Wishart, Belcher......so many good players...

RABK

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
You said 2000 Knights!;-)

Yeh but reading through this thread, he seems to know a damn lot and recall a lot of games from the 90's.

Mr Saab

Referee
While were at it then....best Manly backline....chop chop Saab.

ridge
elesgood/moore
innes
hill
hoppa
lyons
toovey

not bad, but not great

RABK

Referee
I do recall that Manly backline giving it to Canberra and the Broncos quite a bit in the mid 90's though...on there day awesome.....pure aggression and strength.

Mr Saab

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
Tell me Saab, how much footy did Carne play in 96?

i dont know total games played off the top of my head, but i know he was injured somewhat. He rotated with Ross as the fullback. But in 1996 Carnes best days were long behind him

Mr Saab

Referee
I do recall that Manly backline giving it to Canberra and the Broncos quite a bit in the mid 90's though...on there day awesome.....pure aggression and strength.

thats true. but it was 50/50 in terms of wins and losses i would imagine in the 1990s

Latest posts