What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was the better fijian flyer...Tuqiri or Nadruku?

Who was the better flyin fijian?

• Noa

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Lote

Votes: 51 42.1%

• Total voters

Balmain_Boy

Mary McGregor, Mullins, Sticky, Fittler, Brett Dallas, the Smiths, Crackers (albeit he spent the majority of his time in the forwards etc.

I dunno if it was because I was young and I thought players were better than they were (like Nigel Roy, I loved that bloke), but jeez it seems like there was endless talent in the 90's. Too bad so little of it made it to Balmain.

RABK

Referee
Mr Saab said:
thats true. but it was 50/50 in terms of wins and losses i would imagine in the 1990s

Yep back in the days when teams like the Knights, Broncos, Canberra and Manly only lost 1 -2 games a year at home i'd imagine it was normally a win to the home team with the loser getting revenge in the return clash at their home ground.

Balmain_Boy

Brisbane we freakish in the 90's. I remember a semi I went to where Manly must have had about 4 repeat sets. Brisbane finally get the ball off a Manly mistake. 3rd tackle they spread it inside their own 30 and Renouf runs the length of the field to score. Amazing stuff.

Funny that I think the best Dragons Backline I've seen is the one we've currently got. The only other that went close was in 99. But the Raiders & Broncos backlines mentioned above are head & shoulders above any other.

Also - What were the differences in backlines for the broncos in 92 & 96? The only one I can think of is Paul Hauff.

RABK

Referee
Thread likes this reminds me why i love league so much.....i want a dvd to come out with all the great players mentioned in this thread.

Renouf....full flight.....what a player.....absolute joy to watch and a player every team feared.

RABK

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:
Funny that I think the best Dragons Backline I've seen is the one we've currently got. The only other that went close was in 99. But the Raiders & Broncos backlines mentioned above are head & shoulders above any other.

Also - What were the differences in backlines for the broncos in 92 & 96? The only one I can think of is Paul Hauff.

Reminds me of great players like Walford and Offiah (sp)

Didn't they have some moments.

Mr Saab

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
Brisbane we freakish in the 90's. I remember a semi I went to where Manly must have had about 4 repeat sets. Brisbane finally get the ball off a Manly mistake. 3rd tackle they spread it inside their own 30 and Renouf runs the length of the field to score. Amazing stuff.

that was 1994. Off a scrum win walters spread it wide and gave renouf the perfect "outball" (their little play they had...same one used to win world cup in 1992) and he beat Hill to run 80m to score.

RABK

Referee
Renoufs 100 metre try in the 92 Grand Final was something special, something i will never forget.

Mr Saab

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:

hauff didnt play much in 1992.
Only real differences are wendall sailor was in the team as well as darren smith and robbie ross in 1996 (oneill was gone)

Balmain_Boy

94? I didn't think it was that long ago, but there you go. I would have only been 8 then, i'm stunned I remember it.

Red and Blue Knight said:
Reminds me of great players like Walford and Offiah (sp)

Didn't they have some moments.

Ahhhh yesss, those were the days. One thing I remember about Ricky was early in his career Rex Mossop kept on calling him "Walpole", continually, and for a few games in a row. I don't think anyone was game enough to tell Big Rex he was getting it wrong.

And like yourself RABK, I'd love a dvd on all these guys and the things they did. You could have a box set on the 90's alone.

In Ricky Walford's debut State of Origin game (game 1 1990)...he tricked a chip n chase every time he got the ball lol..

edabomb

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
there ya go. conflicting storys all over the shop
i herd it was 40 schooners and an entire bottle of wine... still 28 and half is a good effort

It was a reported as a 24hr binge in NZ, so who knows how long he took to drink em.

Anyone who saw Nadruku knows that he pwns Tuqiri.

stoodamire

Juniors
Manly had the best defensive backline during the mid 90's.

Would've been good to see the 94 Raiders attack the 96 Eagles defence.

aussies1st

Staff member
Nadruku absolute star for the Raiders. Tuqiri wasn't in league long enough to over take Nadruku.

griff

Bench
Panjabi said:
assaulting three women, one of them his wife after downing 28 Schooners and half a bottle of wine at a bar in Canberra.
Don't mix your drinks is the lesson there.

Raider_69

Post Whore
some good names being brought up here... Walford was one of my favourite players at the time, there was something about him that you couldnt help but love the bloke.

Renouf and Mullins in full flight were a joy to watch, they made it look so easy, such graceful running style to

innsaneink

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Renouf and Mullins in full flight were a joy to watch, they made it look so easy, such graceful running style to

...though theyd look like spastic speed freaks compared to Rogers or Dorahy....THEY were graceful.

Renouf had a certain smoothness, Mullins? Nup.

Latest posts