What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who we should be targeting. lets go shopping!

macavity

Referee
thread for discussion on what the player movements (re: Knights) SHOULD be for '07. Obviously this is a bit of wishful thinking, but it has been made fairly obvious there is going to be a bit of a cleanout for the start of Smith's reign.

in a perfect world this is what I would want:

we re-sign Snowden, Tolar, Bailey and Seage. Snowden has a bright future with proper coaching, whilst Tolar has the makings of a great benchie and Bailey/Seage are great backups.

we clear out the lockers of Reynoldson, Carmont, Gidley (UK), Lowrie, Quinn, Campbell, Cooper, Kennedy, Quigley, Smith (retired). Yes I know the top 2 are on contract but we need them out - they are taking up way way too much salary cap space and are a waste of space, to put it bluntly. Maybe we can get St Helens to find them clubs as a condition of releasing Gids..... :pray:

We have Fleggies coming up to take PL spots and some are deserving of top 25 contracts as well, meaning we can afford to lose alot of fringe FGers.

Anyways, with the money we have available, we should target 2 outside backs and one prop (assuming we keep Simmo, great work Knights management on that contract...).

A replacement for Gids in the outside backs is top priority - Tahu would be my pick if he really wants to avoid hages (who could blame him) but lets face it, the Eels dont have a track record of allowing unhappy stars out of contracts. Given that we have two options - Tighe to centre and sign a great winger, or go after a top centre. This is assuming Kids is moved to centre, who knows what Smith will do there, but Mullen is a better 5/8 and he is only a kid....

If we can't get Tahu (which is 99% going to be how it plays out) then for mine we should go after Cross AND one of Tupou or Tuaki (from the WT). At minimum we need one of those big units (both would be great if we cant get Cross... with 2 good ballplayers in the centres in Tighe & Kids we would have an awesome backline). Taulapapa from the Warriors is also available (now, contract ripped up due to booze problems...). I guess what im getting at is a BIG blockbusting unit on the wing would be very nice.

As for the forwards, obviously Asotasi is the best of the bunch by a fair bit. In a perfect world he would be my pick, no way we could afford him if we didnt offload the bearded white elephant though - even if we did it would be tight. Kaufusi from the Storm is another option, as is Tuimavave from the Warriors who is going to test his value.

I haven't gone through other teams off-contract lists, but that is what ive come up with so far. Other players mentioned i.e. Morris, Delaney, im not sold on. esp Morris, we just dont need another half, we need outside backs.

Other than that, Danny Wicks from the Drags is apparently off contract and looks absolutely gun. (just checked, looks like he is contracted to '07.) Sims and Poore are also off contract and quality, but dont know that we need more players in that mould - we need a BIG agressive unit to partner spongecake for mine.

so.... priority (no order)

Cross
Asotasi
Tupou
Tuaki
Tuimavave

thoughts guys?

Voice of Reason

Juniors
2 x strong and experienced Centres (Cross fits that bill) and another to repace George (Id like the club to look for a young improver like Millard from Saints) + 1 x strong, intimidating winger who has further scope to improve (Tupou fits this one) + 1 front-rower as above (like a Shillington or Greg Eastwood). I think we have up and coming juniors to cover other positions.

macavity

Referee
Ben Hannant from the Bronx is off contract as well. Read that he doesnt want to leave SEQLD though, so unless relocation is on the cards we wont get him.

Tupou, Tuaki and Tuimavave or Luaki (also off contract) would be excellent pickups as a package - the first 2 can move into the pack when Utae / Hinton etc are ready for FG, or we have depth.

the last 2 are more explosive impact players (esp Luaki), something we lack bigtime.

that is doable if our management handle it right.

Why Tighe isn't seen as capable of FG ive no idea.

roopy

Referee
If Quigley goes we need a hooker.

I don't think we need a prop. We have several who can step up next season to replace Smith and Davico.

We need probably two really good outside backs - and a small man like Preston campbell or Craig Wing who could play in the halves or hooker if needed. (john Morris would be good, but i'd like to do better).

Abount five of the Flegg guys will need to move up to PL (Dureau, Wooden, Snowden, Natusch, Hlad, Tuafua maybe Laban too - i think will all be too old for Flegg - and Uate because he is too good for Flegg)

macavity

Referee
Roops - cant Brown cover hooker? seemed to do OK to me.

Why did we let Nathan Berry go too - he was carving up there for a while.

for mine small men are over-rated - look at the best outside backs these days and they are as big as the forwards. As long as a big man is mobile, a good big man will always beat a good small man.... plus there aren't really any of these 'good small men' on the market are there?

Which prop is going to step up roops? Worth is average, Kennedy will be going, Tolar is ok but a little small, Wooly has shown time and time again he is a benchie....

Snowden? theres one, but he is still very green for the front row.

Plus I will be VERY suprised if Davico lasts the year. Just dont have a good feeling that his boobs will hold out....

roopy

Referee
I don't think Brown is an option for a full game at hooker till he improves his defence a lot. Having said that - the only thing wrong with his defence is that he doesn't have a go - and Smith could fix that by just telling him he tackles anything that moves or gets the hell of the field.

Props who might step up next season include White, Worth, Royal, Vaughan, Snowden, Jeans, Natusch and Tuafua. All those guys are better than Tolar was at the same age - and we only need one or two of them to have a big improvement under Smith and we are right. It's actually a lot harder to name second rowers who could step up next season. Grant and Steel haven't set the world on fire, and Paterson and Ling from Flegg will both end up being props in a few years.

Smith will want a good small man - and he is a good enough coach to use one well.

The other thing that I think will happen, is that Joey won't back up for next season. I think he has had a gutfull of playing injured and dragging his old body around the field. I think he will give everything he has to win us a title this year, and i think we need to look at building a whole new side next season - with Mullen at the center of the side.

macavity

Referee
The other thing that I think will happen, is that Joey won't back up for next season

if thats the case we need to know NOW so we can hit the market.

if not, another spoon will be coming our way. :(

gee I hope he sticks around till Walsh is ready......

from that lot I reckon White is most likely to take the step up for next year. Vaughn is back playing Newie RL, and the last 3 are way too young.. I dont rate Worth (plus he is a tosser).

roopy

Referee
macavity said:
from that lot I reckon White is most likely to take the step up for next year. Vaughn is back playing Newie RL, and the last 3 are way too young.. I dont rate Worth (plus he is a tosser).

We don't know what effect an off season with Smith will have on those guys. I'm presently watching Matt Bartlett making his firstgrade debut for Melbourne - and every one of those guys has more natural talent than Bartlett.

I actually expect Smith to come back with three or four signatures from the ESL - and he probably knows if he has Joey's salary cap money to spend.

Ben

Bench
Fielden, McGuire and Pryce will do nicely
I agree. I don't like the Poms when Cricket is involved but it would be great if we could get one of those players in. Would be extremely tough though.

I think the team will need to sign at least one prop-forward to bolster the ranks before the young forwards in Flegg can step up. Smith will probably retire and I wouldn't mind if we got another prop who can lead the pack.

We don't need any second rowers at the moment because we could have Simpson, Newton, Abraham, Reynoldson, Brown, Tanner, Lowrie and Cooper depending on transfers.

We don't need a half as long as Joey does not retire. If Quinn leaves and with Carney already going, we will need to shop around for a winger. There aren't many qualities wingers in the market so we could decide to get Cross and then shift Tighe out to the wing. And hopefully Smith places Kidley in the centres so that we can dispose of Carmont.

macavity

Referee
McGuire is one of the best 5/8s in the world. I would have him infront of mullen atm, maybe thats just me. if I was taking poms he would be #2 after Fielden.

Leon Pryce plays for Bradford, has been playing 5/8 I think but is a gun centre.

His bro, Karl Pryce, plays in the backrow and is pretty good too.

Yosh

Coach
i would definatly love stuy fielden to come. that guy is gun. how old is he but? and how much would he be asking for? i know my second question is hard to answer but someone must have some kind of an idea right?

yeah i reckon we should have a look at other esl players, even if they are getting paid bigger bucks, but they might have the chance to play with andrew johns in his last year is a mighty big insentive if you ask me. someone like that chevy walker guy or something, i personally dont konw much about esl...

from the NRL i would love to sign someone like nathan merrit. people have said he is too small and defence is shocking but he scores like 100000 tries for the rabbits so he must be doing something right. and if we do have kurt playing centres next to him, considering kurt is an excellent defender he could maybe make up for him a little. i duno thats just me. he is quiet electrifying i reckon....

Roy

Juniors
the mad dog brothers would be good to

1.thaiday
2.luke mad dog
3.adam mad dog
4.ryan cross
5.tame topou

We can dream...

knights9

Juniors
Players who i would like to sign...

In Super League

1. Lesley Vainikolo
2. Stuart Fielden
3. Leon Pryce

In NRL

1. Mark Bryant - Has been great for Manly this year and i would love to see him play for us.
2. Tame Tupou - A great powerful winger would be great for us.
3. Taniela Tuiaki - A prop turned winger he has excellent speed his big and strong like Tame, could also fill in at Prop if needed.

Jono078

Referee
knights9 said:
Players who i would like to sign...

In Super League

1. Lesley Vainikolo
2. Stuart Fielden
3. Leon Pryce

In NRL

1. Mark Bryant - Has been great for Manly this year and i would love to see him play for us.
2. Tame Tupou - A great powerful winger would be great for us.
3. Taniela Tuiaki - A prop turned winger he has excellent speed his big and strong like Tame, could also fill in at Prop if needed.

Mark Bryant :?...

I like him as a player but we will have Perry, Woolnough, Tolar and possibly Snowden as front rowers next year..

So if we were to get a front rower I would want someone better than those players. Bryant is less or equal with a few of those.

Vainikolo would be a mad pick up though.

knights9

Juniors
Jono078 said:
Mark Bryant :?...

I like him as a player but we will have Perry, Woolnough, Tolar and possibly Snowden as front rowers next year..

So if we were to get a front rower I would want someone better than those players. Bryant is less or equal with a few of those.

Vainikolo would be a mad pick up though.

Yeah i suppose we dont need him.

But if we could get all those players i listed i would be really happy..

1. Thaiday
2. Tupou
3. Pryce
4. Tighe
5. Vainikolo
6. Mullen
7. Johns
8. Perry
9. Buderus
10. Feilden
11. Simpson
12. Newton