What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who were you surprised never made it?

adamkungl

Immortal
Millers playing in the ESL, I think fullback these days. I always thought he went overseas too early, should have stuck it out for another year or two. 20 is too early for a halfback to give up. I also heard he had a bit of an attitude problem.

Luanis playing for Dogs ISP side. He was pretty ordinary in first grade. Played hooker when Farah was injured. Probably more of a second rower as was a great defender.

If his attitude problems are sorted out (or just rumour) there are a few clubs who could do worse than Jacob Miller.
Looked real good in games I saw last year and is only 25.
On the other hand Wakefield haven't finished any better than middle table in the last few years and the halfback presumably plays some role in that.
He's just signed a new 4 year extension to stay there anyhow.

Newest addition to the list of disappointments: Tui Lolohea.
This kid could be anything, looked a freakish talent but doesn't seem to have the mental grit to take advantage of it. Just signed a Super League deal and is looking forward to a 'more attacking style' of play. Translation: Happy to be somewhere where he doesn't have to get fit or work on defensive technique and application.

nick87

Coach
William Zillman says hi

Will he ever live up to the promise he showed in the lower grades?

That poor merkin did his ACL, and then in the space of 3 games over 2 years did another 2 ACL’s
Was never the same again... and now I think he’s having intimate relations with horses (I kid! I kid! His website has changed a lot since last time i was on this, he seems normal now but his old site was a WILD ride of weird horse whispering stuff)

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Denan Kemp, the thread.

He was looking like an all time great winger in 2008, then he just plummeted off the scene and was gone completely 2 years later.

Bazal

Post Whore
Even he’ll have to improve his defence.

His defence Melbourne was some of the worst I’ve ever seen.

Dufty is always going to be an iffy defender, which is why it's good that he's a natural fullback and you can hide him behind the line. Realistically the fullback almost never shuts down a break once the front line is beaten anyway. Also helps that he has guys like Nene McDonald doing the hard returns.

That's one area that gives me hope for French pulling out of his slump. His one on one defence in terms of tackling is actually very good, especially for a small man. Some of his tackles on the wing last year to save tries/major opportunities were outstanding. I think with Ferguson doing the kick returns next year we should hopefully see a better Bevan French, but I just think a guy with his strengths is on a hiding to nothing in a team playing the way we are

Dufty is always going to be an iffy defender, which is why it's good that he's a natural fullback and you can hide him behind the line. Realistically the fullback almost never shuts down a break once the front line is beaten anyway. Also helps that he has guys like Nene McDonald doing the hard returns.

That's one area that gives me hope for French pulling out of his slump. His one on one defence in terms of tackling is actually very good, especially for a small man. Some of his tackles on the wing last year to save tries/major opportunities were outstanding. I think with Ferguson doing the kick returns next year we should hopefully see a better Bevan French, but I just think a guy with his strengths is on a hiding to nothing in a team playing the way we are
I mean he can at least put his body on the line though and at least hinder the attacker. Against Melbourne it was like he was falling for the dummy on purpose just so he wouldn’t have to make the tackle. Either that or he took the wrong option every time which still isn’t great.

Hopefully, I see French like a faster Ben Barba if he can realise his potential. I just think he needs to be a in a very good team to make that happen. He’s not someone who’s going to be average he’s either going to be very good or very bad and that all depends on the team around him.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Manaia Cherrington is another one. Looked like he was gonna be the next big thing and the successor to Issac Luke but never really kicked on

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I mean he can at least put his body on the line though and at least hinder the attacker. Against Melbourne it was like he was falling for the dummy on purpose just so he wouldn’t have to make the tackle. Either that or he took the wrong option every time which still isn’t great.

There is different categories of bad defenders and this is the worst of them. With a known miss tackler like JT it's basically his size that lets him down but will still willingly go high on someone like fifita knowing full well he is most likely going to end up back on his ass again but at least pulled up their momentum up just a tad in time for help to arrive.

gordsy

Juniors
If his attitude problems are sorted out (or just rumour) there are a few clubs who could do worse than Jacob Miller.
Looked real good in games I saw last year and is only 25.
On the other hand Wakefield haven't finished any better than middle table in the last few years and the halfback presumably plays some role in that.
He's just signed a new 4 year extension to stay there anyhow..
We did. His name is Luke Brooks. Same player just 10x more expensive for the same results.

mxlegend99

Referee
Haven't read the tgread yet. But Masada Iosefa is a guy I thought would be a first grader for a decade or more with rep games and all on his resume.

Started out ok. But for some reason turned to shit.

TheFrog

Coach
Paul Franze
Bryce Cartwright

Not too late for Bryce to save his career, but he needs to get a wriggle on.

Latest posts