What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the QLD Origin Fullback?

Who will be the QLD Origin Fullback?

• Billy Slater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rhys Wesser

• Clinton Schifcofske

• Total voters

avsterooster

Juniors
i think raiders fans have to come to terms with shif not having a hope in hell of playing origin

im not saying he doesnt deserve a look in, put lets be honest, even at his peak he wasnt looked at and its probs best you dont get your hopes up

id say slater will be fullback

RenoufPhan

Juniors
Slater's performance on the wing for QLD last year coupled with QLD's severe lack of true wingers ensures he will be picked on the wing for QLD rather than at fullback.

Matty Bowen is probably the best of the lot, but like Slater his performances as a 'super sub' in 2004 may see him retain that position in 2005. Why change something that isn't broken?

That just leaves Wesser and Hunt (Shifcofske won't play Origin again). And if current form continues you'd have to believe the QLD selectors will persist with Wesser. While his overall performance in the maroon of QLD last year was poor, his performances at club level since has been brilliant and QLD selectors are known for showing loyalty to the incumbents.

That's not what I would do but it's what I think the Queensland selectors will do. If it were me, I'd play Hunt in the #1 jersey with Slater and Tonga on the wings, Tate and Berro in the centres, and Bowen on the bench.

*gets ready for the barrage of "TYPICAL BIASED RAIDER FAN!!" chants*

Schifcofske must get a chance. He has made more running metres than anyone... by a large amount... and he's played one game LESS than Hunt, Wesser, Slater, Bowen. etc. He's solid as a rock in defence, which you need for Origin. I still think he's the best defensive fullback, and nothing will ever change my opinion on that. He's saved our bacon so much over the last few years, same with this year as well. He creates so many things in attack and takes a lot of pressure off the forwards. Slater I think is best utilized on the wing, as shown last year. Then Bowen comes off the bench. It's a win-win situation for all involved.

Plus his goalkicking has improved out of sight, he's 85% this year and I notice that Smith has been stuggling for the Storm. Hannay may not make the team, though I think he deserves to.

Anyway, I really do think Schif deserves it. Wayne Pearce said tonight that "Schifcofske is the form player of the comp, bar none". That was from an unbiased commentator. If you watch his involvement, you'd agree.

I don't think he will get picked though, and that is a massive shame...

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Schif should get it, for his goalkicking if nothing else. If QLD converted even one of those tries in Origin 1 last year, they'd have one it, that says to me they need a quality goalkicker. Hannay is down on goalkicking form too so that leaves Schif, but odds are they'll persist with Smith as g/k'er.

Raider_69

Post Whore
You would think that with Slater penciled in for a wing spot, Bowen from the bench then its a race between Hunt, Schif and Wesser... atm its Schif lapping them at will! :clap:

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Wesser has been really good, he's Schif's biggest threat. As a NSW supporter though, I hope Schif doesn't play, he's too good at the moment.

Raider_69

Post Whore
ParraDude_Jay said:
Wesser has been really good, he's Schif's biggest threat. As a NSW supporter though, I hope Schif doesn't play, he's too good at the moment.

as a NSW and Raiders fan i agree
we need him and NSW need not to have him there

but as a schif fan i hope he gets it, he has deserved it for soo long!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Well I can't argue the fact that he deserves it. He's been excellent in all games this season, but I just think he'll be overlooked again by selectors. I have to feel sorry for him, what does the poor guy have to do to be noticed?

Raider_69

Post Whore
ParraDude_Jay said:
Well I can't argue the fact that he deserves it. He's been excellent in all games this season, but I just think he'll be overlooked again by selectors. I have to feel sorry for him, what does the poor guy have to do to be noticed?

sadly i agree, he will be again over looked
the bloke must of run over the selectors dogs or something

camsmith

Juniors
slava said:
If QLD want to win. They absolutley MUST put K.Hunt in!

HAHAHHAHA.. and be run over by KING again? and not save one out of 10 tries?

C'mon.. give billy a go!

RenoufPhan said:
Slater's performance on the wing for QLD last year coupled with QLD's severe lack of true wingers ensures he will be picked on the wing for QLD rather than at fullback.

Matty Bowen is probably the best of the lot, but like Slater his performances as a 'super sub' in 2004 may see him retain that position in 2005. Why change something that isn't broken?

That just leaves Wesser and Hunt (Shifcofske won't play Origin again). And if current form continues you'd have to believe the QLD selectors will persist with Wesser. While his overall performance in the maroon of QLD last year was poor, his performances at club level since has been brilliant and QLD selectors are known for showing loyalty to the incumbents.

That's not what I would do but it's what I think the Queensland selectors will do. If it were me, I'd play Hunt in the #1 jersey with Slater and Tonga on the wings, Tate and Berro in the centres, and Bowen on the bench.

Thats the biggest f**kin joke ive ever seen, lmao

Wesser is a shadow of his 2003 self, while he might be slowly coming back into some form, he is still nowhere near the player that Clinton Schifcofske is now, nobody is, except for maybe slater, these two should already be pencilled in for spots in the maroon starting side.

Schifcofske (I wish they had that as a word to spell for Mario last Thursday :lol: Civoniceva's was pretty nasty though) would be a better choice at fullback over Billy Slater in my opinion. Slater has a great nose for sniffing tries and is an excellent support runner but he sometimes makes basic errors in defense enough to worry the team. Keep him at the wing for Origin. Schif is also an excellent goal kicker and a more effective defender which should be a plus.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Thunderstruck said:
Schifcofske (I wish they had that as a word to spell for Mario last Thursday :lol: Civoniceva's was pretty nasty though) would be a better choice at fullback over Billy Slater in my opinion. Slater has a great nose for sniffing tries and is an excellent support runner but he sometimes makes basic errors in defense enough to worry the team. Keep him at the wing for Origin. Schif is also an excellent goal kicker and a more effective defender which should be a plus.

my exact thinking

1. Schif
2. Slater
3. Tonga
4. Berrigan
5. Tate
14. Bowen

Munky

Coach
Wesser has been the only thing keeping Penrith in games.

Without him we'd be stuffed, he has been safe as houses this year which is something I never thought I'd say.

camsmith

Juniors
slater on the wing? nah, he's better at fullback so he can sniff around the rucks for an offload etc.. on the wing its just a waste having such a talented player like slater.

Iafeta

Referee
RenoufPhan said:

cutie? Get your hand off it mate, Slater, Wesser, Schifcofske and Bowen ALL are safer at fullback than cutie and all offer more at this stage.

cutie's form doesn't warrant Origin selection.

greeneyed

First Grade
Tonga can hardly make it on form at the moment. In my (Raiders) opinion, Schifcofske is the best fullback running around in the first rounds, easily. Put the speed of Bowen and Slater on the wings.... you have the best of all worlds. Wesser is just not safe enough. Tate and Berrigan for the centres.

gallagher

Juniors
Why not pick the best fullback in the game as fullback. Lockyer.

With Prince,Thurston and Seymour playing great footy why wouldnt you? Just because the Broncs neede to move him doesnt mean Qld or Australia for that matter have to.

He still has it over any fullback in the game.

Latest posts