What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will fill the remaining positions for NSW?

Munky

Coach
I didn't understand why Country were such heavy favourites for tonights game.

Look at the position of the clubs for which the starting forwards are from.

Country

Bailey (13th)
Ryles (13th)
Ryan (9th)
Simpson (15th)
Morrison (11th)

City

Stevens (3rd)
Clinton (7th)
O'Donnell (1st)
Watmough (4th)
Menzies (4th)

There wasn't a single starting running forward in country who's team was in the eight, yet all of cities were.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
aqua_duck said:
dodge said:
I still don't understand how players from teams in positions 12 and 13 deserve Origin spots. Makes no sense to me.
SO Danny Buderus should never play rep footy again?

I wouldn't go that far, but I would be taking Priddis on form so far. Buderus has a lot of work to do to retain his no 9. The problem as stated correctly before, is you can't really have both.

Buderus may have the favour with the selectors though. Frankly, Priddis has done enough so far to hold the 9 for me. But there is plenty of time. He's not that far ahead. And Buderus should only improve. :? I thought his defence was a little soft tonight though.

willvillain

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
Just on Kite has he done anything this year??

Been very strong to be honest. Making good yards every game, has a few tries to his name and has really tightened the manly defence. Not saying he should be in the NSW team, but he wouldn't look out of place there because he has certainly played well for Manly.

Bloody shame that O'Meley is out to be honest. Ryles doesn't do it for me. Bailey - excellent. But without O'Meley and Kearns the NSW front row stocks look shady. Tupou very good value for an impact spot on the bench.

Tommy Smith

Referee
dodge said:
Fitzy is only a certainty because his jumper has the colours navy, red and white on it. El Masri IMO did enough to take the GK role and therefore a wing spot. NSW would be well served with Magic on the wing and it would allow someone who can actually play to be a 2nd rower, i.e. Hindmarsh/kenners, hindmarsh/ryan or even hindmarsh/watmough based on tonight's performance.

Wing off the bench? What's he going to do blind them with his pink outfit? Sherwin did more tonight to deserve a spot than he has all year.

Good to see Ricketson out of contention.

I still don't understand how players from teams in positions 12 and 13 deserve Origin spots. Makes no sense to me.
My, my don't we like the Roosters.

"Fitzy is only going to be there because he is a Rooster" Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he was MOTS last year in Origin would it? And that he's a proven big match performer.

"Wing off the bench?" Yes, Wing off the bench. There is no better impact player in the game and only an idiot would put Sherwin on the bench ahead of him as Brent can only play one position. Wingy on the other hand can play anywhere and is the best dummy half runner in the game...which kind of comes in hadny around tiring forwards. And besides, he is/and has been a constant part of both the NSW and Australian sides.

"Good to see Ricketson out of contention". Nice to see you're up to date. Ricko retired from rep footy at the end of 2003...and it's now 2005.

aqua_duck

Coach
Country

Bailey (13th) -played for australia
Buderus (15th) -NSW captain and Aust vice captain
Ryles (13th) -played for australia
Ryan (9th) -played for australia
Simpson (15th) -played for australia
Morrison (11th) -has been knocking on the door for origin for years

City

Stevens (3rd) -is in twilight of career
Riddell (11th) -hasn't played any rep footy beyond city/country
Clinton (7th)
O'Donnell (1st) -rep debut
Watmough (4th) -rep debut
Menzies (4th) -is in twilight of career

T

Juniors
dodge said:
Fitzy is only a certainty because his jumper has the colours navy, red and white on it. El Masri IMO did enough to take the GK role and therefore a wing spot. NSW would be well served with Magic on the wing and it would allow someone who can actually play to be a 2nd rower, i.e. Hindmarsh/kenners, hindmarsh/ryan or even hindmarsh/watmough based on tonight's performance.

Wing off the bench? What's he going to do blind them with his pink outfit? Sherwin did more tonight to deserve a spot than he has all year.

Good to see Ricketson out of contention.

ricketson retired from rep footy…

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
aqua_duck said:
dodge said:

I'm saying that Rooster and Dragon players don't deserve to dominate the spots year-in year-out when in situations like this year the teams and players just aren't performing. There are the odd players who have played well despite circumstances, Buderus, Anasta, Hornby to name a few, but at the end of the day the teams with players far more deserving and in far better form end up getting the short straw and it's becoming a joke. Less and less selectors appear to be choosing on form and more and more on favour.

aqua_duck

Coach
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
aqua_duck said:
dodge said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I would be taking Priddis on form so far. Buderus has a lot of work to do to retain his no 9. The problem as stated correctly before, is you can't really have both.

Buderus may have the favour with the selectors though. Frankly, Priddis has done enough so far to hold the 9 for me. But there is plenty of time. He's not that far ahead. And Buderus should only improve. :? I thought his defence was a little soft tonight though.
I do feel sorry for Priddis and he could do the job but Buderus is the incumbent captain and Dally M medalist, his defence wasn't great tonight but lets face it defence isn't a highlight all round when there's 50 points scored in a match.

aqua_duck

Coach
dodge said:
aqua_duck said:
Country

City

I think that says it all mate :lol:
I'm not debating the result mate if you understood my point i was merely explaining why country were favourites. Besides Its not the forwards' fault Matt Gidley can't defend.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The way he played after he came on after 30 minutes tonight, yes. He was on fire late in the second half and held his ground well the rest of the game.

aids

Bench
we'll have to see who steps up this weekend.
i really don't think any positions are set, apart from priddis and hindmarsh

backup hooker is now a three way dance
piggy, butterball and wing.
could go anyway.

fullback.
mini, hornby and hodgeson.
i recon mini would have a foot in the door for that one

wings:
depends on options, two great goal kicking wingers in el buggery and bumper farrell.
solid strike wingers in grothe and rooney and roberts.

centers:
gasnier, cooper, king, cross, and lewis
any options are good all are great players. i would go for a cross gasnier combo though.

halves:
the biggest call with hill,barret, anasta, sherwin all playing well.
kimorly more than likely first choice, so best to look who would work best off him.
i would suggest anasta/ kimorly.

forwards:
props: bailey, stevens, skandalis, ryles, and topou all being the major choices
i would like to see a prop rotation of bailey, skandalis and topou.
2nd row: hindmarsh plus whoever else.
at the moment i would say whatmough, although morrison and menzies, have been playing good football too.
fitzgibbon on past performances but not on current form.
i've likely forgotten others as well
lock
the two major players are waterhouse and kennedy.
not too sure who else is in contention?

just my opinion

Red Bear

Referee
Dodge, that post was absolute crap! Get rid of your hate for the tri-colours before writing shit like that.
By the way dodge, you guys are in the same boat as the Roosters, lost to them and only have the buy to thank for you being ahead of them. So dont go saying they shouldnt get selection when the Dogs have done nothing this year.
Munky, who would you have ahead of Ryles and Baily? Clinton? Absolute softcock, most over rated prop around at the moment.
Gidley is shit eh, he was terrible tonight apart from the pass to Roberts.

My NSW team
NSW

1. Minichello
2. Rooney
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper(if both arent injured
5. Eric Grothe
6. Barrett
7. Kimmorley
8. Bailey
9. Buderus
10. Ryles
11. Hindmarsh
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Kennedy

14. Skandalis
15. Waterhouse
16. Watmough/Menzies/Stevens(would love to see Menzies snag a spot).
17. Wing

OVP

Coach
dodge said:
The way he played after he came on after 30 minutes tonight, yes. He was on fire late in the second half and held his ground well the rest of the game.

2 halfbacks in an origin team. Thank the lord you arent a selector. And you have a problem with Wing, and yet he's perfect for the bench. Another halfback proves you know nothing about the game.

Next ... !!

aqua_duck

Coach
Honestly anyone who reckons Anasta would do a better job than Barrett after tonight and past performances is deat set kidding themselves. Barrett was on the losing team but I would've still given him MOTM. :clap: :clap:

aqua_duck

Coach
OVP said:
dodge said:

2 halfbacks in an origin team. Thank the lord you arent a selector. And you have a problem with Wing, and yet he's perfect for the bench. Another halfback proves you know nothing about the game.

Next ... !!
I know what you mean mate, I mean neither Noddy nor Shifty can play hooker it'd have to be a straight swap if shifty were to go on.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Give Piggy man of the match (LU did) gotta keep the record of a Parra player getting man of the match in each rep game played this year :D :lol: