What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would be your 2nd Australian squad.

Azkatro

First Grade
rufus youngblood said:
How could any of you guys picked hornby at fullback in front off Hodgson,schicofskie they should have been there in front of minichello.
hornby = over-rated hack

When it comes to the topic of fullbacks, I rate Hornby higher than those two guys, similar to Luke Patten or Luke Phillips before he retired. A lot of fans of the Brett Mullins type fullback seem to be of the opinion that the fullback is an attacking player first, defensive player second.

Not me. A fullback is a custodian. His most important role is a defensive one - things like organising the defensive line and covering for line breaks, kicks etc - and while guys like Hodgson and Shifcofske are competent at the role, they're more attacking players than anything.

Just look at Mullins for the Roosters in 2002, who a lot of people consider the best fullback of the 1990's. He played on the wing while Phillips was the custodian, and they set a defensive benchmark that year. They are far less effective now with Minichiello - great winger, overrated fullback.

Tigerpete

Juniors
The difference to me between Hornby, Hodgson and Shifcofske is:

Hornby: In my opinion overrated. Good solid fullback who does all the necessities well.

Hodgson: Like Honrby he does the little things right and can find a gap, personally those 2 hard to split although in my opinion Hodgson is the far more consistent of the 2.

Shifcofske: Good kick returner and usually safe. Not on the same level of consistency as the top fullbacks and that to me is why he is overlooked. On his day though is potentially the best of them.

AS for Minichello. he's just a winger slotted into fullback. personally Minichello should be on the wing and one of either Hornby, Hodgson should be the back to Bowen.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Interesting thread here, I will add something a little different:

1 - Brett Hodgson
2 - Billy Slater
3 - Mark Gasnier
4 - Matt Gidley
5 - Timana Tahu

6 - Trent Barrett
7 - Matt Orford

8 - Luke Bailey
9 - Cameron Smith
10 - Steve Price (capt)
11 - Lance Thompson
12 - Steve Simpson
13 - Trent Waterhouse

14 - Lincoln Withers
15 - Anthony Tupou
16 - Ryan O'Hara
17 - Ben Ross

18 - Ben Hornby
19 - Shane Tronc
20 - Ryan Cross
21 - Kurt Gidley
22 - Glenn Morrison
23 - Jason Stevens

Mr Saab

Referee
Broncodroid said:

14 - Lincoln Withers
15 - Anthony Tupou
16 - Ryan O'Hara
17 - Ben Ross

Withers????????? serious????????
he is a good solid player, but in the 2nd squad of Australians he aint.

tiger_nick

Bench
borat said:
rufus youngblood said:
How could any of you guys picked hornby at fullback in front off Hodgson,schicofskie they should have been there in front of minichello.
hornby = over-rated hack

Oh, sorry, let me just grab a tissue for poor old Hodgson and Schicofske. Ben Hornby will be around for many years to come playing rep footy while Hodgson and Schicofske will be looking back at their carreers in retirement from 2006 dreaming about those Rep jerseys that got away.

These two only ever stand out because they play in two very, very ordinary teams. But in the big leagues they don't stand a chance.

Ben Hornby has become the most OVER RATED player in the comp. Honestly he is a solid 1st grader and nothing more. He plays in a team of stars, put him in an average team and you will see exactly what kind of player he is. Seriously I rate Mini, Bowen, Hodgson, Patten, Wesser, Slater, Schif, Hunt and Stewart all ahead of him. Thats number 10 IMO.

You are talking sh*t, players play better when they have good players a round them. Half the Newcastle team were shown up for the rubbish they are this year without their number 7.

Take your red and white glasses off you fool. Saints are my second team and I rate just about all their players, but Hornby is an average first grader at best.

If you played Hornby with played a bottom 5 team he would be exposed as to how average he really is.

Schif and Hodgo are better attackers (actually run to the line), bringing the ball back from kick returns (Hornby will wither jog back or fall over), under the high ball (hornby stands there and lets it bounce), positioning and goal kickers then Hornby. The only thing he has over either of these is he is a better defender then Hodgson, but not Schif

Broncodroid

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
Broncodroid said:

14 - Lincoln Withers
15 - Anthony Tupou
16 - Ryan O'Hara
17 - Ben Ross

Perhaps not, but hell, it adds something different to repetitive posts and got the desired reaction ;-)

If thrown into a rep side, he would not let his coach down IMO. Either way, it added some fresh blood to the make up of the side.

borat

Bench
tiger_nick said:
borat said:
rufus youngblood said:
hornby = over-rated hack

Oh, sorry, let me just grab a tissue for poor old Hodgson and Schicofske. Ben Hornby will be around for many years to come playing rep footy while Hodgson and Schicofske will be looking back at their carreers in retirement from 2006 dreaming about those Rep jerseys that got away.

These two only ever stand out because they play in two very, very ordinary teams. But in the big leagues they don't stand a chance.

Ben Hornby has become the most OVER RATED player in the comp. Honestly he is a solid 1st grader and nothing more. He plays in a team of stars, put him in an average team and you will see exactly what kind of player he is. Seriously I rate Mini, Bowen, Hodgson, Patten, Wesser, Slater, Schif, Hunt and Stewart all ahead of him. Thats number 10 IMO.

You are talking sh*t, players play better when they have good players a round them. Half the Newcastle team were shown up for the rubbish they are this year without their number 7.

Take your red and white glasses off you fool. Saints are my second team and I rate just about all their players, but Hornby is an average first grader at best.

If you played Hornby with played a bottom 5 team he would be exposed as to how average he really is.

Schif and Hodgo are better attackers (actually run to the line), bringing the ball back from kick returns (Hornby will wither jog back or fall over), under the high ball (hornby stands there and lets it bounce), positioning and goal kickers then Hornby. The only thing he has over either of these is he is a better defender then Hodgson, but not Schif

I hope Hodgson is keeping his 2001 origin jersey in a safe place because never, ever get another one. Its time to face the facts tiger_nick, Brett Hodgson career is slowly drifting into retirement. The selectors know this and that is why Ben Hornby was given his origin debut this year. I suppose whinging about Hodgson non selection would take your mind off another disappointing year but its never going to happen.

Hodgson at the moment would be 4th choice for NSW behind Mini, Hornby & Patten

Mr Saab

Referee
Broncodroid said:
Perhaps not, but hell, it adds something different to repetitive posts and got the desired reaction ;-)

If thrown into a rep side, he would not let his coach down IMO. Either way, it added some fresh blood to the make up of the side.

old cliche "wouldnt let the team/coach down"
Which player would let the team down if chosen...doesnt mean they really deserve selection.

Mr Saab

Referee
borat said:
[I hope Hodgson is keeping his 2001 origin jersey in a safe place because never, ever get another one. Its time to face the facts tiger_nick, Brett Hodgson career is slowly drifting into retirement. The selectors know this and that is why Ben Hornby was given his origin debut this year. I suppose whinging about Hodgson non selection would take your mind off another disappointing year but its never going to happen.

2002....2001 was Mark Hughes.
As for drifting into retirement i am confused. Its not like the guy is 30 is it??????

tiger_nick

Bench
borat said:
tiger_nick said:
borat said:
rufus youngblood said:
hornby = over-rated hack

I hope Hodgson is keeping his 2001 origin jersey in a safe place because never, ever get another one. Its time to face the facts tiger_nick, Brett Hodgson career is slowly drifting into retirement. The selectors know this and that is why Ben Hornby was given his origin debut this year. I suppose whinging about Hodgson non selection would take your mind off another disappointing year but its never going to happen.

Hodgson at the moment would be 4th choice for NSW behind Mini, Hornby & Patten

Yeah Hornby went so well that they kept him there for all 3 games...oh wait a sec, no they didnt!! He must have been injured, because it would be strange for NSW to change a WINNING team. What he wasnt injured either? How strange.....

I never said Hodgson should have been there, as above I rate Minichello better then him. The only reason Hornby was picked was due to his mate Lauire Daley being a selector.

A dissapointing year? I think we achieved to our ability, all year I thought we were a fringe 8 team and thats what happened. It must be devastating to follow a team of superstars that constantly under performs and couldnt give a sh*t about club football. I love Barrett, Bailey, Ryles, Gasnier, Timmins etc. Do sweet fa all year except take up Saints salary cap, then play awesome for the Blues and Australia!

Like I said I like the Dragons, but I see them sliding this year.

borat

Bench
tiger_nick said:
Yeah Hornby went so well that they kept him there for all 3 games...oh wait a sec, no they didnt!! He must have been injured, because it would be strange for NSW to change a WINNING team. What he wasnt injured either? How strange.....

I never said Hodgson should have been there, as above I rate Minichello better then him. The only reason Hornby was picked was due to his mate Lauire Daley being a selector.

A dissapointing year? I think we achieved to our ability, all year I thought we were a fringe 8 team and thats what happened. It must be devastating to follow a team of superstars that constantly under performs and couldnt give a sh*t about club football. I love Barrett, Bailey, Ryles, Gasnier, Timmins etc. Do sweet fa all year except take up Saints salary cap, then play awesome for the Blues and Australia!

Yes Mini is the No1 fullback. And Hornby is undoubtedly the no 2. Hodgson wasn't even good enough to make the 30 man squad let alone the starting team.

Laurie is a selector, along with Bob McCarthy, Bob Fulton & Geoff Gerard. So its a big conspiracy theory and they are all anti tigers right?

Get real. Ben Hornby is younger, faster, more talented, safer, and not made of balsa wood.

If you are happy with being a top 8 contender then mediocrity is all you will ever have. And thats why the Tigers attract mediocre players like "has-been" Hodgson.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Charlie Saab said:
Broncodroid said:

14 - Lincoln Withers
15 - Anthony Tupou
16 - Ryan O'Hara
17 - Ben Ross

Withers? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sherwin is all class, why has noone noticed him? I'd rate him alongside Orford, the blokes passing and kicking game is one of the best in the league

Also, why hasnt this thread gone :arrow: international forum?

Rise Against

1. Patten
2. King
3. Hannay
4. Gasnier
5. El Masri
6. Anasta
7. Orford

8. Bailey
9. Priddis
10. Clinton
11. O'Donnell
12. Fletcher
13. Harrison

14. L Bailey
15. Norton
16. Webb
17. Campbell

tiger_nick

Bench
borat said:
tiger_nick said:

Yes Mini is the No1 fullback. And Hornby is undoubtedly the no 2. Hodgson wasn't even good enough to make the 30 man squad let alone the starting team.

Laurie is a selector, along with Bob McCarthy, Bob Fulton & Geoff Gerard. So its a big conspiracy theory and they are all anti tigers right?

Get real. Ben Hornby is younger, faster, more talented, safer, and not made of balsa wood.

If you are happy with being a top 8 contender then mediocrity is all you will ever have. And thats why the Tigers attract mediocre players like "has-been" Hodgson.

OMG you just keep getting stupider! Where did I say the selectors are anti Tigers? I said myself I wouldnt have picked Hodgson!

Hornby faster? :lol: :lol: :lol: More talented, well if talented means falling over when approaching the defensive line then yes your right he has Hodgson covered. Safer?? I tend to disagree on that, Hodgson puts his body on the line every week, he is the best at cleaning up grubbers etc in the game. Not made of balsa wood, I take it you are referring to the Tallis tackle that happened nearly 3 years ago when he was playing his THIRD origin game? Yes he got smashed, any other game it would have been a penalty but never mind that. Also he was just about NSW's best that series and MOTM in game 1.

True he is younger, a whole 2 years.

I never said I was happy with how we went this year, I just said we achieved to our ability. We have a number of very talented youngsters coming through who are starting to make their name in 1st grade (Harrison, Halatau, Gibbs, Marshall, Farah, Fulton etc).

As opposed to the Dragons who should have won about 3 comps by now with the playing roster they have.

Please, you are embarressing yourself, you have not responded to any one of my points. Instead just basically say 'Hodgson is sh*t' Go back to Jubilee Ave

borat

Bench
tiger_nick said:
borat said:
tiger_nick said:

OMG you just keep getting stupider! Where did I say the selectors are anti Tigers? I said myself I wouldnt have picked Hodgson!

Hornby faster? :lol: :lol: :lol: More talented, well if talented means falling over when approaching the defensive line then yes your right he has Hodgson covered. Safer?? I tend to disagree on that, Hodgson puts his body on the line every week, he is the best at cleaning up grubbers etc in the game. Not made of balsa wood, I take it you are referring to the Tallis tackle that happened nearly 3 years ago when he was playing his THIRD origin game? Yes he got smashed, any other game it would have been a penalty but never mind that. Also he was just about NSW's best that series and MOTM in game 1.

I never said I was happy with how we went this year, I just said we achieved to our ability. We have a number of very talented youngsters coming through who are starting to make their name in 1st grade (Harrison, Halatau, Gibbs, Marshall, Farah, Fulton etc).

As opposed to the Dragons who should have won about 3 comps by now with the playing roster they have.

Please, you are embarressing yourself, you have not responded to any one of my points. Instead just basically say 'Hodgson is sh*t' Go back to Jubilee Ave

ERR what points.

Hodgsons form has been on the slide ever since 2002 to the point where he is unwanted by the successful clubs and has to play a sh*thouse team like that pathetic rabble called the Tigers.

Its time for you to face the facts that Bob Fulton, Bob McCarthy and geoff Gerard along with Daley all beleive that Hornby is a better fullback than Hodgson. Thats life, deal with it. You see you short sighted dim witted opinion counts for JACK!!!!!!!!!

All you tigers fans go on and on about Hodgson but you never make the finals and he never plays rep football. And the reason is that Hodsgon, like the Tigers, is just not good enough.

Dragons are on the up and up mate. Our results prove that.
Come back and debate me when your team makes the top 50.

tiger_nick

Bench
borat said:
tiger_nick said:
borat said:
tiger_nick said:

ERR what points.

Hodgsons form has been on the slide ever since 2002 to the point where he is unwanted by the successful clubs and has to play a sh*thouse team like that pathetic rabble called the Tigers.

Its time for you to face the facts that Bob Fulton, Bob McCarthy and geoff Gerard along with Daley all beleive that Hornby is a better fullback than Hodgson. Thats life, deal with it. You see you short sighted dim witted opinion counts for JACK!!!!!!!!!

All you tigers fans go on and on about Hodgson but you never make the finals and he never plays rep football. And the reason is that Hodsgon, like the Tigers, is just not good enough.

Dragons are on the up and up mate. Our results prove that.
Come back and debate me when your team makes the top 50.

You really have no idea do you. Do you want to comment on Hornby being dropped? Or about his kick returns? Or do you just want to continue on these Hodgson is sh*t runs and never actually say anything to back it up? Notice you haven't said anything about Schifcoske either.

You clearly didnt watch any Tigers games this year. To say Hodgson is in a form slide is total rubbish. He had by far his best season this year, playing behind a pack that was usually out muscled. Plus you have Skandalis in your team and his form this year was way down then previous years.

You call the Tigers a pathetic rabble when in actual fact, we finished 2 spots behind your up and up Dragons.

I think I'll go and have a debate with my boss's 2 year old grand daughter who's in today. At least she might but some substance behind her arguements.

panthersballboy

Juniors
Anyways...........

1. Hunt
2. King
3. Cross
4. Lewis (I know he's injured but so is Slater who is other poster's line up)
5. Roberts
6. Campbell
7. Sherwin
8. Clinton
9. Priddis
10. Bailey
11. O' Donnell
12. Carlaw
13. Waterhouse

14. Stevens
15. Tronc
15. Ross
16. Finch

borat

Bench
tiger_nick said:
You really have no idea do you. Do you want to comment on Hornby being dropped? Or about his kick returns? Or do you just want to continue on these Hodgson is sh*t runs and never actually say anything to back it up? Notice you haven't said anything about Schifcoske either.

You clearly didnt watch any Tigers games this year. To say Hodgson is in a form slide is total rubbish. He had by far his best season this year, playing behind a pack that was usually out muscled. Plus you have Skandalis in your team and his form this year was way down then previous years.

You call the Tigers a pathetic rabble when in actual fact, we finished 2 spots behind your up and up Dragons.

I think I'll go and have a debate with my boss's 2 year old grand daughter who's in today. At least she might but some substance behind her arguements.

You are a bit slow aren't you? I will clarify things for you just so you are aware of what my opinions are because you just don't seem to get it.

Hornby is the number 2 fullback in the game. Yes he was dropped after origin 1 for the no one fullback in the game Minichello. Hodson is 4th or 5th. And the evidence I have is that Ben Hornby has a 2004 origin jumper to prove it. What is your evidence sunshine? Jack sh*t. All i hear from you Tiger_nick is whinge moan moan, its not fair, everybody picks on the Tigers, we don't get the recognition we deserve. Go and cry somewhere else tosspot. You must keeping Kleenex in business with all teary eyed posts. If you want sympathy you won't get it.

The Tigers have assembled a side of has beens and never will be's. Haven't made the finals in how many years? Finished 4!!!!!!!!!! places below the dragons (learn how to count numbnuts).

Ben Hornby is quicker, younger, safer and state of origin selectors agree. The only thing Hodgson is better at is missed tackles and mistakes made. Well Done. Hodgson is still a good player just not up to the standard Ben Hornby. If Hodsgson was any good he would have earned a NSW jumper this year. But guess what. he is not. Explain that.
Actually let me help you with the stockstandard Tigers whinge "oh its laurie's fault". Well then explain to me how Bob Fulton or Bob McCarthy are biased to the dragons also? Accept the enevitable, Hornby won the jersey because his form was better than Hodgson.

Oh you want me to mention Schifcofske. I am pleased you brought that up actually. Schifcofske like Hodgson is not up to State of Origin standard and has 3 to 4 other fullbacks in front of him. And the proof is there for all to see.

My advise to Hodgson is to leave the Tigers fast because they are only going to drag him down further. Second from the bottom in premiership betting and well deserved. Tiger_Nick why don't you stop wasting your time posting dribble and go and make room in that rather empty trophy cabinet for the 2005 Wooden Spoon, after all you deserve it.

Let me guess, your boss's two year old grand daughter agrees with your opinion. You see your persistance paid off. All you had to do is keep looking until you found someone like yourself who has the same IQ & talks dribble all day. Do yourself a favour and stick to debating the 2 year old, you should win those arguements, then again maybe not.

Latest posts