What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whom could have predicted this?

Is there much rivalry and tribalism in the BRL/QRL? Will people who may align with their local QRL club support a Pseudo Redcliffe club or will they jump on board as it is the first time a BRL clubs has been promoted to the top tier? Dont suppose the kids will care as long as the club is successful, well marketed and fun to follow but wondering about the adults in the first few years?
I'm a Wynnum Manly fan. I'm on board to support The Dolphins.

For most Queenslanders its all about beating NSW and Sydney clubs. If the Dolphins are winning a lot they will get good support for sure. A bitter, hateful rivalry with the Broncos probably won't develop because that's not the culture or landscape here. They want to beat Sydney clubs. The Broncos-Cowboys rivalry is as lovey dovey as it gets, its sickening actually.
Broncos fans hate my guts for my position on The Donkeys. Kick the bastards out I say and bring in another BRL club.

IBM is already mouthing off in the Cowboys vs Bulldogs game day thread. If his mob gets done like a dinner and Cowboys win then he'll go AWOL like usual. David Copperfield would be impressed with IBM's disappearing act.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
For most Queenslanders its all about beating NSW and Sydney clubs. If the Dolphins are winning a lot they will get good support for sure. A bitter, hateful rivalry with the Broncos probably won't develop because that's not the culture or landscape here. They want to beat Sydney clubs. The Broncos-Cowboys rivalry is as lovey dovey as it gets, its sickening actually.
There is a lot of truth in this

The Great Dane

First Grade
would you say you are typical or Atypical? :)
It's irrelevant as people like GROTD are only using the Dolphins as a stopgap until a better option comes along. As soon as a team closer to home gets the go ahead they'll jump off the Dolphin's bandwagon and onto that better option, and it's only a matter of time before that better option happens now because the NRL's decision to include the Dolphins will force them to admit at least 2 or 3 more teams in Brisbane in the mid-long term to maintain market coverage.

If experience is anything to go by most of them will prove very fickle fans as well, as nothing binds them to the Dolphins other than the fact that the Dolphins play in the NRL and are not the Broncos.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
haha - ok, you've shown you've got no idea about the Dolphins brand strength. Plus the Moreton Bay region is synonymous with the Dolphins. There's a massive billboard on the M1 as you drive through the area congratulating the dolphins paid for by a third party. That's one small example of the hype in the area around their admittance.

Also, promoting a well recognised QRL / BRL brand into the national comp is not comparable to moving Sydney RL brands to a different location. Nice try. Keep up the salt and go the Dolphins!
All that billboard proves is that somebody is trying to leech off the Dolphins current relevance. It's totally irrelevant to the Dolphin's brand and it's 'strength' or lack there of.

BTW, my example didn't include relocating a Sydney club or it's brand... So yeah, you really showed me with you're complete failure to even comprehend what was even being said.

Maybe in the future you could try engaging with the arguments that were actually put forward. Just a suggestion.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm in the Wynumn Manly area. Not hearing anyone wanting to swap clubs or really talking about them at all other than a laugh at how hard they are struggling to get players. As I'm southside Brisbane I'm not surprised and it's really a North side team.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
All that billboard proves is that somebody is trying to leech off the Dolphins current relevance. It's totally irrelevant to the Dolphin's brand and it's 'strength' or lack there of.

BTW, my example didn't include relocating a Sydney club or it's brand... So yeah, you really showed me with you're complete failure to even comprehend what was even being said.

Maybe in the future you could try engaging with the arguments that were actually put forward. Just a suggestion.
Stay salty mate! Go the Dolphins

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its been interesting the lack of new Dolphins fans on the LU board, apart from GROTD and someone saying theyll be there second team there doesnt seem a big bandwagon, on here at least. Hopefully they've got some innovative marketing planned in the lead up to 2023 kick off. Their new website os now up and running with more detail on things like brand colours (officially now confirmed to be red, white and gold)

(another of the downsides of their name is if you just google dolphins your never finding their webpage!)

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm in the Wynumn Manly area. Not hearing anyone wanting to swap clubs or really talking about them at all other than a laugh at how hard they are struggling to get players. As I'm southside Brisbane I'm not surprised and it's really a North side team.
Yeah well that was predictable. The Dolphins being based on an peninsular on the outskirts of the city, and proud of it, was always going to alienate the core audience in Brisbane.

It's really just too bad that this sport is run by myopic morons, and now we have another ball and chain suburban club to deal with when we could have had the biggest rivalry in Australia... You get what you deserve.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Its been interesting the lack of new Dolphins fans on the LU board, apart from GROTD and someone saying theyll be there second team there doesnt seem a big bandwagon, on here at least. Hopefully they've got some innovative marketing planned in the lead up to 2023 kick off. Their new website os now up and running with more detail on things like brand colours (officially now confirmed to be red, white and gold)

(another of the downsides of their name is if you just google dolphins your never finding their webpage!)

I wouldn't worry too much about that, the novelty effect will carry them for at least the first few seasons. It's what they plan to do after those first few seasons that matters.

If the image that they are currently projecting is anything to go by then they're planning on leveraging their history to push interest, which won't be very effective outside of the Moreton Bay area for the most part.
Hopefully they've got something more hidden up their sleeve, otherwise they'll almost certainly end up being another club reliant on on-field success to push ticket sales, which isn't ideal.

It's irrelevant as people like GROTD are only using the Dolphins as a stopgap until a better option comes along. As soon as a team closer to home gets the go ahead they'll jump off the Dolphin's bandwagon and onto that better option, and it's only a matter of time before that better option happens now because the NRL's decision to include the Dolphins will force them to admit at least 2 or 3 more teams in Brisbane in the mid-long term to maintain market coverage.

If experience is anything to go by most of them will prove very fickle fans as well, as nothing binds them to the Dolphins other than the fact that the Dolphins play in the NRL and are not the Broncos.
I don't have a problem with the ARLC adding another two or three teams to Brisbane, provided the Broncos are given the boot to make way for one. Not like that'll ever happen.

I hope this happens:

Easts Tigers merge with Brisbane Broncos to create an all city club with Leagues Clubs at Red Hill, Coorparoo and Springwood. Jets are given a licence to join the Dolphins and Firehawks. Fortitude Valley and Titans merge to add 100 years of history and brand recognition to the Gold Coast and increase their presence in Brisbane by tapping into the Valleys fanbase. Cowboys rebrand to the representative team that played in the Statewide League. Falcons are added.

Greater Brisbane Region

Brisbane Firehawks
Ipswich Jets
Moreton Bay Dolphins

Regional Queensland

Gold Coast Diehards
North Queensland Marlins
Sunshine Coast Falcons

Something like that by 2050 or 2060 would be good.

Add the Adelaide Rams and West Coast Pirates would make it national. Another two NZ teams, possibly three, would be perfect.

Last edited: