What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whom could have predicted this?

The Great Dane

First Grade
a financial powerhouse ,
A strong leagues club/owner does not necessarily equal a strong football business, and the last thing the NRL needs is another unsustainable zombie of a club that is propped up by a leagues club and grants from the NRL.
in a population growth corridor
Which is utterly meaningless when there are markets on the table that are already larger and more valuable than Moreton Bay will grow to be within the foreseeable future.
with a strong brand as an emblem
As a person who worked in marketing and advertising for most of my professional life; I see absolutely no hard evidence that the Redcliffe Dolphins brand is either highly recognisable to the general public or elicits a particularly strong positive reaction to those that do recognise it outside of it's traditional market, and as such it's almost certainly going to hurt them more than it'll help them.
yea
stupid decision eh 🙄
Yep a monumentally stupid decision that only appeals to a tiny minority of people in Redcliffe/Moreton Bay and hardcore RL fans.

It's exactly the sort of myopic hyper focus on appealing to the current fanbase instead of attempting to appeal to new consumers to build on said fanbase that has held RL back from developing into everything that it could be not only in Australia but internationally.

Reactions: Ck9
A strong leagues club/owner does not necessarily equal a strong football business, and the last thing the NRL needs is another unsustainable zombie of a club that is propped up by a leagues club and grants from the NRL.

Which is utterly meaningless when there are markets on the table that are already larger and more valuable than Moreton Bay will grow to be within the foreseeable future.

As a person who worked in marketing and advertising for most of my professional life; I see absolutely no hard evidence that the Redcliffe Dolphins brand is either highly recognisable to the general public or elicits a particularly strong positive reaction to those that do recognise it outside of it's traditional market, and as such it's almost certainly going to hurt them more than it'll help them.

Yep a monumentally stupid decision that only appeals to a tiny minority of people in Redcliffe/Moreton Bay and hardcore RL fans.

It's exactly the sort of myopic hyper focus on appealing to the current fanbase instead of attempting to appeal to new consumers to build on said fanbase that has held RL back from developing into everything that it could be not only in Australia but internationally.
blah blah blah

thats all i see here
& all you usually offer

nothing you post is anything more then your opinion & this .. yea but Im a legend in my own bubble so I must be right , won't cut it around here.

Perth Red

Post Whore
blah blah blah

thats all i see here
& all you usually offer

nothing you post is anything more then your opinion & this .. yea but Im a legend in my own bubble so I must be right , won't cut it around here.
Here's an idea, you could always offer some counter argument instead of the usual ignore the post and throw some personal insults! It makes for more interesting debate!!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah because the Brisbane Dugongs, Whales, Sea Lions, Turtles, Rays, Octopus are recognised RL brands in the Brisbane market stretching back to the 40's. So much salt about the best bid winning the NRL licence.
So if we kicked all the other teams out of Sydney their fanbases would follow the (e.g.) Sydney Rabbitohs just because it's a recognisable RL brand?

Of course not, because every brand carries baggage, and that baggage isn't always positive.

The Redcliffe Dolphins are nowhere near as recognisable as any of the NRL brands, not even in Brisbane, yet it's brand carries just as much baggage as NRL brands do to those that do recognise it.
In other words the significance of the Dolphins brand will go over the heads of the vast majority of the general public, meaning it carries no inherent value to those people, but the vast majority of those that do understand the history of the Dolphins brand (i.e. the 2nd Brisbane club's initial target audience) will have a negative reaction to it because the vast majority of RL fans aren't Redcliffe Dolphins fans. Which should sum up why it'll be a cancer on the club (unless outside factors come into play) to anybody with an IQ above room temperature.

That's the benefit of a neutral brand; you don't have anybody preconditioned to have a negative reaction to it. Yes neutral brands can still struggle for a multitude of reasons (normally because they are poorly conceived), or the product can leave a bad first impression (which can effect any brand no matter how good they are), but those issues are easily fixed through minor changes, where if you start with a brand that garners a negative reaction from most that recognise it you'll be forced to go through the process of changing those negative opinions from the get go, which can take generations to change.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Here's an idea, you could always offer some counter argument instead of the usual ignore the post and throw some personal insults! It makes for more interesting debate!!
LOL.

Parrots are excellent mimics, but if you are after original thoughts you should speak to the pirate instead.

counter arguments ?
like you ?
more like ..

agenda driven drivel ..

like I said , I don't need a tolstoy novel of personal opinions under the guise of ..oh oh oh but I'm an expert so I must be right , to explain why I think great dork is wrong.
He is
end of ...

The Great Dane

First Grade
There is no precedent in rugby league for a non geographically identified brand, in fact all the games leaders ever talk about is tribalism, which we know is mostly geographically attached. only time will tell now if a generic brand club can be succesful.
And there still isn't because the Redcliffe Dolphins brand will always be intrinsically linked to Redcliffe.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins are banking on that fact as well, but that's a whole other issue.
The positives are we have a big rugby league mad city with only one current club so you’d hope there’s going to be lots of rl fans ready to jump on board the dolphins regardless of name.
That's a false hope. The vast majority want a club, not any club.

The NRL needed to create a club that could appeal to as many of them as possible for it to be successful, instead they took the easy route of just any club and now that club will almost certainly fail by any reasonable standard.

And there still isn't because the Redcliffe Dolphins brand will always be intrinsically linked to Redcliffe.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins are banking on that fact as well, but that's a whole other issue.

The NRL needed to create a club that could appeal to as many of them as possible for it to be successful, instead they took the easy route of just any club and now that club will almost certainly fail by any reasonable standard.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Perth Red

Post Whore
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
counter arguments ?
like you ?
more like ..

agenda driven drivel ..

like I said , I don't need a tolstoy novel of personal opinions under the guise of ..oh oh oh but I'm an expert so I must be right , to explain why I think great dork is wrong.
He is
end of ...

And there it is again! Why do you even read these threads that clearly you offer nothing into and are not interested in the discussion being had?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Not so sure, whilst I would have preferred to see something new in front of the Dolphins to give it some geographical relevance (for me North Brisbane) and reference I'm not sure the Redcliffe history bit is so strong or disliked across Brisbane that it is going to be a major deterrent. Admittedly I'm not from Brisbane so I might be totally wrong though lol. Crushers started with a decent enough fanbase despite a pretty ordinary non descript brand. Souths have moved to a different part of the city and managed to attract a new fanbase.

Of more concern would be where will be home for them. If they become a wests tigers playing across three locations, two of them non NRL standard, then that could hurt them in same way it has Tigers and Dragons and make it hard for the people of Brisbane (who should be the #1 target audience) to connect with them as their own.

And there it is again! Why do you even read these threads that clearly you offer nothing into and are not interested in the discussion being had?
by offering nothing , do you mean an engrained hatred of RL & more specifically PVL posts badly disguised as debate on these forums ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
by offering nothing , do you mean an engrained hatred of RL & more specifically PVL posts badly disguised as debate on these forums ?
Like literally every post you post has nothing to do with the subject and is just abusive to the poster. everyone!! Seriously show me your last post in here where you contributed to the discussion. You need help!

Like literally every post you post has nothing to do with the subject and is just abusive to the poster. everyone!! Seriously show me your last post in here where you contributed to the discussion. You need help!
I will

when you show me any post of yours where you aren't moaning bitching or complaining about something

xe_kilroy

Juniors
The thing is, both sides of the argument are adamant they are right. No leeway for change of belief.

Personally, I agree with both sides. Redcliffe Dolphins was absolutely the right club for the 17th license (strong brand, dolphins a strong icon, clubs finances rock solid), but the club DOES pose marketing problems -- 1) given that the NRL pushed for "The" not Redcliffe, that lends credence to that argument (tho I disagree with the NRL as I've ranted about before regarding a region name), 2) a "hated" Brisbane state club, 3) perceptions about its demographic, 4) concerns with its geographic location.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Not so sure, whilst I would have preferred to see something new in front of the Dolphins to give it some geographical relevance (for me North Brisbane) and reference I'm not sure the Redcliffe history bit is so strong or disliked across Brisbane that it is going to be a major deterrent. Admittedly I'm not from Brisbane so I might be totally wrong though lol. Crushers started with a decent enough fanbase despite a pretty ordinary non descript brand. Souths have moved to a different part of the city and managed to attract a new fanbase.

Of more concern would be where will be home for them. If they become a wests tigers playing across three locations, two of them non NRL standard, then that could hurt them in same way it has Tigers and Dragons and make it hard for the people of Brisbane (who should be the #1 target audience) to connect with them as their own.
For most Queenslanders its all about beating NSW and Sydney clubs. If the Dolphins are winning a lot they will get good support for sure. A bitter, hateful rivalry with the Broncos probably won't develop because that's not the culture or landscape here. They want to beat Sydney clubs. The Broncos-Cowboys rivalry is as lovey dovey as it gets, its sickening actually.

Exactly.

Let's give the Broncos/Titans/Dolphins 3-way SEQ rivalry time to embed before we even think about chucking another team in the mix there.

Perth makes the most sense as team 18 BY FAR, due to the timezone & sheer population size.
I'm very torn about about this
On one hand I'd love to see Perth come in ..it's easily the best option .
On the other hand it'd be great entertainment listening to PR bitch moan bullshit rant etc if it doesn't happen .
What a dilemma .

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So if we kicked all the other teams out of Sydney their fanbases would follow the (e.g.) Sydney Rabbitohs just because it's a recognisable RL brand?

Of course not, because every brand carries baggage, and that baggage isn't always positive.

The Redcliffe Dolphins are nowhere near as recognisable as any of the NRL brands, not even in Brisbane, yet it's brand carries just as much baggage as NRL brands do to those that do recognise it.
In other words the significance of the Dolphins brand will go over the heads of the vast majority of the general public, meaning it carries no inherent value to those people, but the vast majority of those that do understand the history of the Dolphins brand (i.e. the 2nd Brisbane club's initial target audience) will have a negative reaction to it because the vast majority of RL fans aren't Redcliffe Dolphins fans. Which should sum up why it'll be a cancer on the club (unless outside factors come into play) to anybody with an IQ above room temperature.

That's the benefit of a neutral brand; you don't have anybody preconditioned to have a negative reaction to it. Yes neutral brands can still struggle for a multitude of reasons (normally because they are poorly conceived), or the product can leave a bad first impression (which can effect any brand no matter how good they are), but those issues are easily fixed through minor changes, where if you start with a brand that garners a negative reaction from most that recognise it you'll be forced to go through the process of changing those negative opinions from the get go, which can take generations to change.
haha - ok, you've shown you've got no idea about the Dolphins brand strength. Plus the Moreton Bay region is synonymous with the Dolphins. There's a massive billboard on the M1 as you drive through the area congratulating the dolphins paid for by a third party. That's one small example of the hype in the area around their admittance.

Also, promoting a well recognised QRL / BRL brand into the national comp is not comparable to moving Sydney RL brands to a different location. Nice try. Keep up the salt and go the Dolphins!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is there much rivalry and tribalism in the BRL/QRL? Will people who may align with their local QRL club support a Pseudo Redcliffe club or will they jump on board as it is the first time a BRL clubs has been promoted to the top tier? Dont suppose the kids will care as long as the club is successful, well marketed and fun to follow but wondering about the adults in the first few years?

Latest posts